Do you still travel to events?

Len

Do you Still Travel To Events?  

1. 1. Thought be interesting to see how things are nowadays with ref to how many people travel fair distances to events - Views / comments most welcome.

• Used to, but not so much nowadays
    • Always travel
    • Stay local
    • Can't be bothered

Coming from Hull always had to travel.Only one local "do" worth going to so seem to be traveling more these days to find something descent?We class anything within an hour as a bonus but there isn't anything at the moment :(

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I used to fly over from Toronto for the 100 club allnighters, that's when I was working for myself, now I'm working for someone else I fly over twice a year from Spain, and do what I can.  I work Saturdays mostly and can't be arsed for local nights if there are any.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Travel as much as possible - Already this year has been Aberdeen, Manchester, Wales, Amsterdam, back off down Manchester next weekend then have Rimini and Cannonball as well as back to Amsterdam and down south planned for later in the year - I like to hear a variety of music at different venues

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Surely the apathetic are the handbaggers and bootleggers, so why on earth would you not want to travel, why on earth would you not want to hear new sounds and see different people play their various takes on black American music, the apathy astounds me

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I used to travel - from Edinburgh -down south every 2 weeks....mostly by train. Winsford, Albrighton (hardly missed an event), Ritz, 100 Club and many more great events, I haven't been for a few years now due to the rise in rail fares...I really miss not being able to travel....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was only discussing this topic a couple of weeks ago at a soul night. I used to drive quite a bit to places, now I have job that I drive around 50,000 miles a year, getting back into the car for a long trip at the weekend makes me think twice, so I pick and choose a lot more carefully.

atb

Barry  

Social source share

9 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

You go to 'where its at'....being based darn sarf, on the South Coast, if you want anything other than half arsed handbag events, (with the exception of a few), & especially if you are keeping it real & going to where the proper scene still is, All Nighters, you have no choice, you get on ya bike, it is how it is & pretty much how it has always been, Northern softies are spoilt, with events on their doorstep, comparitively speaking & in a lot of cases still cant be arsed judging by the poll.

Russ. Northern softies must mean southerners into northern soul surely.

A northerner who travels all over the country to listen to northern soul. Always have , always will. 

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulfool said:

I used to travel - from Edinburgh -down south every 2 weeks....mostly by train. Winsford, Albrighton (hardly missed an event), Ritz, 100 Club and many more great events, I haven't been for a few years now due to the rise in rail fares...I really miss not being able to travel....

Try Megabus or Trainsplit. It's the thing for none car owners now :thumbsup:

Social source share

On 25 May 2016 at 23:18, Winsford Soul said:

Russ. Northern softies must mean southerners into northern soul surely.

A northerner who travels all over the country to listen to northern soul. Always have , always will.

Steve

So we know there are at least 13 'Cant Be Bothered's'.....just wondered why you cant be bothered ???

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

So we know there are at least 13 'Cant Be Bothered's'.....just wondered why you cant be bothered ???

Russ

Russ. I think you misunderstood. A northerner who travels. Always have, always will was meaning me that I do travel and I always will. Anywhere in the country for a Nighter

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 19:20, Winsford Soul said:

Russ. I think you misunderstood. A northerner who travels. Always have, always will was meaning me that I do travel and I always will. Anywhere in the country for a Nighter

Steve

Steve, Im not sure how I managed to 'quote' you, I didn't mean to do that, it was a general comment, so apologies mate....

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 5/25/2016 at 10:49, TattooDave said:

I used to fly over from Toronto for the 100 club allnighters, that's when I was working for myself, now I'm working for someone else I fly over twice a year from Spain, and do what I can.  I work Saturdays mostly and can't be arsed for local nights if there are any.

Dave,  You should have made The Benidorm International Soul Fiesta Mate.  Great week and Saturday Night was off the scale! Keep an eye out, we're in Torremolinos 01 July too. Mick H, David Santiago, Ady Lupton, Pete Folwer, Sergio, Antonio and myself.  Worth th eeffort, belive me.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Dave,  You should have made The Benidorm International Soul Fiesta Mate.  Great week and Saturday Night was off the scale! Keep an eye out, we're in Torremolinos 01 July too. Mick H, David Santiago, Ady Lupton, Pete Folwer, Sergio, Antonio and myself.  Worth th eeffort, belive me.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

did try to book for Benidorm but they said they wouldn't cater for a vegan, so after looking for self catering for a week I gave up.  I'll see if I can get someone to dog sit for the night for Torremolinos.

Dave

Social source share

Troop;

Interesting read this. Having spent 45+ years on this wonderful scene Iv always had the same crisis. Do I buy the music or do I get out more, Im afraid the purpose built record room and its contents won out.

I know for me I made the right decision when I see the prices now to what I paid to get them, I still have a daily session, never get tired of listening to the music and the postman is kept very busy.

For me its a no brainer have the music hear at home and get out when I can.

Gouch

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 17:31, billywhizz said:

all ways my soul car ,had 82ooo on the clock ,3 years on 263000,still going good billy 

Thats very true,   Billy has been the driver too many a time , J Muir , Chang , myself and others have coughed up for the fuel for at least 180000 of those miles !!!!

Occasionally we get a near event like Soul Essence but the majority of events are at least 2 to 4 hours + away.

Still remember your rear spring breaking in the garage for a fuel stop. The lady at the till saw it "ping across" the pumps !!  L.O.L.

Regards Frank       Norwich " The Far East  "

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I was chatting to someone last week, and he asked where I'd been lately. I told him I'd been up to New Century Soul at Bury Town Hall, also about other plans I had 'afoot'. He kinda 'grimaced', and said......."It's a shame it's so far".......

The ol' boy I was speaking to is a great bloke, and has been on the local scene for a very long time. I tried to explain why I actually like going to places a far, I said that part of the experience is being somewhere you are not used to being (almost another world!).......I suppose the people that actually live near the places we travel to don't get that added 'magic', but of course they get that when they themselves travel to places afar (from them)

A bit of a muddled paragraph that - I'm trying to say that there is a point to travelling fair distances (Or we wouldn't do it) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 18:59, Gouch said:

Troop;

Interesting read this. Having spent 45+ years on this wonderful scene Iv always had the same crisis. Do I buy the music or do I get out more, Im afraid the purpose built record room and its contents won out.

I know for me I made the right decision when I see the prices now to what I paid to get them, I still have a daily session, never get tired of listening to the music and the postman is kept very busy.

For me its a no brainer have the music hear at home and get out when I can.

Gouch

Same here really Brian, plus the fact that the stuff I like to buy isn't going to get spun at the majority of venues ,coupled with the fact most are playing and chasing the same records, record room definitely the place at the moment

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

all-nighters used to be about travelling to hear something you couldn't hear at home locally.  That is no longer case with very little new on offer at any all-nighter with just one or two attempting to offer something different although not necessarily new material.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

used to travel every week end from skegness, all over the place, nowhere was out of limits really. would travel 5/6 hours to be at even soul nights, and the same ruturn drive .

so the journey there and then back would some times be double the night itself. but was always well worth it to hear a few new things. sad to say we feel everything seems to be getting very stale, can't remember the last time anywhere blew us away musically, all of our must attend places have now sadly been confined to very very fond memories.

hate to say it but we are being assimilated into baggies.    the Borg are coming and resistance is futile !!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yup, the original reason for travelling was to hear tunes you wouldn't hear otherwise, and yes that reasoning is basically behind us (In comparison) Nowadays the attraction of traveling has changed to going somewhere for a different experience (not necessarily musically) 

'tis for me anyway :wink:

P.s - Obviously I don't want to hear a load of ol' sh*te if I'm 'out 'n' about' though :D

Social source share

Just now, LEN said:

Yup, the original reason for travelling was to hear tunes you wouldn't hear otherwise, and yes that reasoning is basically behind us (In comparison) Nowadays the attraction of traveling has changed to going somewhere for a different experience (not necessarily musically) 

'tis for me anyway :wink:

P.s - Obviously I don't want to hear a load of ol' sh*te if I'm 'out 'n' about' though :D

The dance thing has been done to death Len, lot of people looking to the Chillout venues and down tempo rooms now

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, kev cane said:

The dance thing has been done to death Len, lot of people looking to the Chillout venues and down tempo rooms now

Kev

Who mentioned anything about dancing?! :D

Maybe I'm a 'New Wave Oldies Fan' now - I just enjoy getting away from home every so often, and listening to good music. If those tunes need to be ones I already know, so be it - At least I like those ones :wink:

'Mid-tempo' for me, not ready for 'Down-tempo' just yet - But please let me in when I am :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Reading recent replies on here I don't know whether I should feel happy or sad or just plain lucky or maybe I'm easily pleased, I seem to be able to find everything I need within a ten mile radius of home. Maybe I should have got out more in the early days and my views might be a bit different but I still manage to hear plenty of new tunes at least to my ears most weekends. That's not to say I like everything  I hear but I'd far rather go to a night and hear two or three cracking new tunes amongst a lot of ok stuff than spend a night listening to tunes I could listen to at home or have been played to death regardless of the classic status . 

As for dancing , much as I would love to firstly have the energy to and then actually be able to do that stomping thing I have to be in the mood so it's mid tempo and feeling the urge to get up to something I don't know make for a good night.

In answer to Len's initial question I stay local due to circumstance but if asked I'll go anywhere where there is a promise of a good night if someone takes us.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Try living in Australia, in particular Perth.  With 5 states all staging their own monthly nights and annual weekenders plus the big one - the National weekender which rotates round the country every 5 years - there's plenty going on.  Closest for us is Adelaide at 1330 miles, Melbourne 1700, Sydney 2050 and Brisbane 2250.  we're a bit closer to England though, that's only 9000 miles:lol: Won't mention the cost but there is plenty of travel even with these challenges.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!