Teako records discography?

Does anyone have a discography for Teako? I have the Mystics 45 ("I really love you") and Bettye Scott & Del-Vetts ("good feeling"), and I've seen a Chymes 45 on it. 

Also, I grabbed this paragraph off of Sir Shambling's Deep Soul Heaven page for the artist Kenny Wells...

FURTHER UPDATE ~ Bob Abrahamian has written to say that the New York Kenny Wells and the Chicago Kenny Wells are not the same person. He kindly sent me the email address of the Windy City artist and Kenny himself has confirmed this. So this part of the page refers to the career of the Chicago Kenny Wells. Bob says that Kenny Wells had his own jazz combo, his band is the band playing on a lot of Kellmac 45s, you can see his name credits on the CODs, Combinations, etc. Kenny Wells was one of the owners of the Lock group of labels (e.g. Dream, Broach, Erica, etc.). Lock stood for: Lucky Cordell, Ed O'Kelley (who independently owned Teako), Clarence Johnson and Kenny Wells. He did run the Black Hole label on which there are actually 3 Gadgets 45s. I think he told me he wasn't a member of the Gadgets and just produced them. Kenny himself writes to say that he produced Denise Chansdler's "Love Is Tears" on Lock, Diane Cunningham's "Some Day Baby" on Broach, the Spoilers "Spoilers Rap" on Broach. Kenny also confirmed that he owned Black Hole records. He is still making music and is a DJ on WSSD.

Social source share

The Chymes 45 is "Dancing Shoes"/ "I've Lost" on Teako #784.    There's also a 

Ray Pettis 45- "Question and Answer"/ "If I Found A Love" - Teako 4770.

There's probably more but their release #'s (4770, 784, 370 and 747) don't seem to have any reason to them

so it's hard to tell.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dazz said:

Ray Pettis is also available as Salem 1005

Different takes and I love the Teako cut, who is most likely the later take. I don't find the Salem one as good. Still worth mentioning on here indeed. :thumbsup:

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On May 25, 2016 at 00:49, JNixon said:

Ray Pettis.

Great little cheap tune with bags of charm.  

The record says background vocals by the Fabuletts - is this the same group that recorded on Access ("muddy waters"), Sound Stage 7 ("screaming and shouting") and monument ("the bigger they are") - assuming these are all the same group (even though the styles of these three recordings are very different).

Also, I heard the Mar-Vells on Butane ("go on and have yourself a ball") were an earlier version of the Fabuletts. 

Social source share

19 hours ago, ljblanken said:

The record says background vocals by the Fabuletts - is this the same group that recorded on Access ("muddy waters"), Sound Stage 7 ("screaming and shouting") and monument ("the bigger they are") - assuming these are all the same group (even though the styles of these three recordings are very different).

Also, I heard the Mar-Vells on Butane ("go on and have yourself a ball") were an earlier version of the Fabuletts. 

I would guess that THESE Fabuletts on TEAKO were a local, Chicago group.  The group on Monument/SS7 was spelt: "Fabulettes", and was from Miami.

Yes, The Mar-Vells later became The Fabulettes. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, ljblanken said:

I cant answer that champ. Got no idea sorry.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!