anyone ever seen this vers of Luther Ingram on HIB?

19 hours ago, hakenig said:

I'm about to consign this for a friend, and because of the source I believe it to be an original copy, but am interested that it's a green label but a promo. It's styrene. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance!

lutherhib.jpg

Looks dodgy to me. Fonts are not right, too many of them. Plus I am only aware of the 3 pressing plants for this one; unless proven wrong...

Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 00.09.24.pngthis is the first one  before picked up by Atco for national distribution and then;

Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 00.03.04.png exist also as WDJ,

Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 00.02.00.png exist also as the very rare orange stock,

Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 00.00.54.pngand then this one from the same pressing plant as the first not Atco distributed, no WDJ apparently... to this day !

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

come on with "the fonts are wrong", the one in the pic is a 100% legit west coast styrene demo pressed at Monarch, the fonts are totally correct.

seriously, my first reply is right, you guys can speculate all you want but you're wrong.

:facepalm:  

If it's a Monarch pressed example there'll be a delta matrix number, that will tell all.

Social source share

On 6/2/2016 at 19:21, hakenig said:

I'm about to consign this for a friend, and because of the source I believe it to be an original copy, but am interested that it's a green label but a promo. It's styrene. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance!

lutherhib.jpg

It's legit. A friend of mine picked up a copy of this locally a few years back. Surely this should be the rarest format? 

Social source share

Dunno why I forgot to list matrix along with scan, but yes, it has △64973, with △64973-X on the "Exus" side. It would appear this is the least-documented pressing, and like Tommy said, perhaps the rarest. Will be taking offers on it soon on behalf of an LP dealer friend (he doesn't like to mess with 45s). It's a very clean VG+, almost looks EX, and plays M-.

Social source share

OK I give in, not that I was assertive or definetly affirmative. Or was I ? The original question wanted opinions... but indeed after some digging' for the fonts issue (sorry if I upset anyone :glare:) plus the matrix facts (in this day and age where so many weird things turn up) it finally convinced me to believe that this West-Coast press may indeed be the rarest pressing of it ! And not another one of them dummies pressing. I learn everyday. Thanks for sharing that.

Here's a record baring all the same font and more in different places, but there;

Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 11.57.17.png = Capture d’écran 2016-06-03 à 11.27.36.png

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

5 hours ago, dave pinch said:

dont forget there is an orig orange press as well as the 73 one..... so many variations of this with the counterpart white demos.... one turns up just about every week and still they go from £400 to 650

I sold a rough issue for £300 !! high in any ones language. 

Social source share

Could this be the hardest promoted flop record ever released? It's crazy that the record got pressed with at least six label variations at various plants - and then the label had another go in 1973. Somebody obviously had a lot of faith in Mr Ingram, quite rightly as history has proved!

Edited by cover-up
Social source share

9 hours ago, cover-up said:

Could this be the hardest promoted flop record ever released? It's crazy that the record got pressed with at least six label variations at various plants - and then the label had another go in 1973. Somebody obviously had a lot of faith in Mr Ingram, quite rightly as history has proved!

Could be one of the biggest failures.  I've never heard of it having gotten any airplay.  It certainly didn't get played in Chicago, L.A. or The S.F. Bay Area.  I wonder if it even got any play in Detroit, despite Wylie being local?

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Luther Ingram had a #1 R&B 45 plus a #9 R&B 45 in 1972 (both on Koko -- the 2nd 45 being released at the end of 72).

So I'd say any re-release of this 45 in 73 would have been to try to cash in on his then current success. 

So nothing to do with it being played on the northern scene from 72 at the Torch then ?

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

I can't say. If the copies initially stayed in the US then I'd say it was to cash in on Luther's US success, but if all the 73 copies were just shipped straight to the UK, then it will have been the 45s UK profile that got it re-issued.  

I was only into mainstream soul in 72/73 & not following the UK NS scene at all (though I was selling old 45's from my collection to some of the Dony lads & to the likes of Temple back then).

Social source share

• 2 years later...

What a relief for me my friend found this Thread a couple of nights ago while I was round showing him my Green Hib Promo styrene copy of Luther Ingram - If it's all the same that came in the post from Hesperia California this week, he had looked through the John Manship books and no sign of my record existing even though I was confident mine looked real enough with the Monarch stamp and was hoping it was a rare format of the track, so Big Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread that's put my mind at rest.   Special for me the record came from Hesperia as that's the City I imported my 1969 Dodge Coronet from in 2006 never imagined buying a record from there, pic of the Dodge from Portland Bill Dorset included with the Single.  :)  :hatsoff2:

DSCN1151.JPG

DSCN1153.JPG

010.JPG

• Up vote 2
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Bruv said:

What a relief for me my friend found this Thread a couple of nights ago while I was round showing him my Green Hib Promo styrene copy of Luther Ingram - If it's all the same that came in the post from Hesperia California this week, he had looked through the John Manship books and no sign of my record existing even though I was confident mine looked real enough with the Monarch stamp and was hoping it was a rare format of the track, so Big Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread that's put my mind at rest.   Special for me the record came from Hesperia as that's the City I imported my 1969 Dodge Coronet from in 2006 never imagined buying a record from there, pic of the Dodge from Portland Bill Dorset included with the Single.  :)  :hatsoff2:

DSCN1151.JPG

DSCN1153.JPG

010.JPG

Much rather have the record mate. Never been a car / petrol head type person.  They just get me in comfort  from nighter to soul night and when I can be bothered work 

Steve 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Much rather have the record mate. Never been a car / petrol head type person.  They just get me in comfort  from nighter to soul night and when I can be bothered work 

Steve 

I know what you mean Steve, trust me there's been plenty of times when I wish I never got hooked on these old Bangers! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!