JOHN POWNEY RIP - Funeral details

Very very sad news. John was one of the real genuine soul men. A true character of our wonderful scene. I'm sure that many on here will have bought from him over the years. He turned up so much good stuff over the years. RIP John!

Social source share

Really sad news this and you've described John just how I/we remember him....still bring him up in conversation regarding his Castle lists and the records he had and the prices!..also had the pleasure of him dj-ing for us when my brother,Stuart Marshall, and myself ran the Devonshire Arms soul nights in Skipton in the esrly to mid 90's...he'd bring a posse of geordies with him or probably more likely they brought him!!..Davey and Elaine Mason ,Tomma,Gazza White,Tim Carr and more....typical John though when we had any tune we thought rare/big he'd pull one out of his box in a rarer format..eg:playing his Channel 3 on a issue copy...and many others...never being a smart ass neither ...the place was always rammed when John was in town...he never wanted a penny neither..couldn't push money into his hand ..what a genuine North East guy he was..r.i.p John

Dave Longbottom

Edited by lfcjunkie
Addition
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

How sad, this guy has to be given the highest respect, he was way ahead in his game, it was he who put Guy Hennigan  onto James Lately who in turn told me about it and because of that I got lucky. Have to say I only ever met him once. I remember Micky Cruise was always talking about him as was Tony Colby he must of influenced a lot of people in his reserved life style. Bless you John, it was the likes of he who made what we are today.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Shocking news. I remember meeting him in his house in 1995 like it was yesterday. Brought a few tapes with me and asked me if he could record some of his favourite tunes for me. Instead he handed over his DJ box full of rarities and one-offs and told me to pick out and record whatever disc I want myself.

And not to forget your rants on your sales lists, honest and outspoken. You are a true character. Bless you John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Very sad news. Visited his home a number of times with Micky Cruise. John had phenomenal records. A big lover of Doo Wop along with his love for soul music and his cats...

RIP JP, God bless..

Social source share

Terrible news not spoke to John for quite a few years, but used to love our conversations on the day of the list and yeah very strict with the no calls before 8.30.Had some great things off John over the years, too many to mention, a very knowledgeable guy who didn't suffer fools. RIP mate a pleasure to have known you!!! 

Social source share

Very Sad news , only spoke to John a few weeks ago and I sent him some money and he send me a pack of records  , I have been buying from him for years , He was happy to help on any queries and told you straight what things were worth or labels and would happily recommend tunes to you.

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

not read all the comments yet , before posting , was informed yesterday by his close friend dave byrne who is devastated , didnt post anyting at the time as john hated the internet with a passion , ive heard so many stories about john and spoke to him countless times , will always regret never having gone up to see him in person , we always had a laugh over the phone , total respect for the man who has had most things pass through his hands , always sold at fair prices , and had a wealth of knowledge , not only the records artists and labels , but also amateur football teams , rip john powney , castle / phatkat records 

ps , great write up tony , respect to dicka for being there for him a true friend 

Edited by gfarrington
Social source share

Always remember him rummaging through the deletions box in Callers Records in Newcastle on a Saturday morning in the 70s , he was a an extremely knowledgeable guy. And I recall visiting his house around 1975/76 and being astounded at the quality of the records he had doubles of for sale and that was before looking at his collection which was the best I have ever seen. He was a true Soul man.

All the best

Manus

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello everyone I thought I would jump back on to soul source and pay my respects to John Powney a man I had a respect for over the years! John was a throwback a real decent person,complicated and intelligent to boot -he loved his cats -non league football and could name any team from the forties onwards! 

In terms of soul knowledge I have not met anyone to match to be honest but unlike some he was so unassuming about it,not a smart arse -not looking for accolades just a mad eccentric Geordie who had the insight to ship crates yes crates of us imports over to north shields docks in the sixties. I made monthly visits to Johns in the late eighties and nineties either to trade but mostly to buy with my good friend Gaz Simons,jeez we would walk out with records like Jock Mitchell demo George Kirby demo the Performers etc for next to nowt -we often got the feeling Johns real pleasure was seeing your face when you bagged a long time want ! I can remember bagging Henry Brookes/the Reachers/ Moses Smith and about 100 invictus imports in one session plus love Committee etc for literally pennies -crazy days.We were often gobsmacked by the fact that we could literally view whole logos more than not on demos -Diamond Jim etc he had the lot !

He made terrible coffee lol and he made me laugh -he had a real vulnerable side but it warms my heart to know that decent lads looked after him in his later years. Rest in Peace John and God Bless.

Baz Atkinson 

Edited by Barry Baz Atkinson
Social source share

Sad news that John died yesterday. Tony summed him up so well at the start of this thread ! He was a complex character ! We always got on well and he put me on to so many records over the years , Karmello Brooks  years before it went big, Reachers for £8 too many to list.Enjoyed our trips to King Bee even though John struggled with his illness the last couple of times . A generous  friend , rest in peace John.            Ron Edmundson

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I never met John, but always enjoyed talking on the phone, and bought loads from him over the years. His rants on his list always made me laugh - among others, he had no time for Tony Blair, the Royal Family, Kevin Keegan, Michael Jackson and Cliff Richard. A true one-off. We'll miss you, John

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm sorry to hear that.  Very sad news. 

He was always a bit of a character and had a great record collection. 

I enjoyed playing records at his house and he also did very interesting DJ spots.  Had a bit of imagination and didn't just play the same old, same old!

RIP John.

Social source share

Guest MC Little Anne

So sorry to hear this sad news , Micky spoke very highly of John and know he had some brilliant records R.I.P. John

Social source share

RIP John

Was always helpful , best prices , unbeatable knowledge loved cats I think above all else.

Always copius brews and tabs when I went up there, a real gent!.

Nice to know people looked out for him and fair play to you.

Graham

Social source share

Really sorry to hear this - spent some entertaining afternoons in his back room mid-late 90's. The first couple of times especially he had boxes full of Twinight, M-Pac, King, Federal, Mar-V-Lus, etc - a real treasure trove.

One time I wrote to him shortly after visiting asking for two records I had forgotten to buy. A few days later the records arrived in the post with a note saying 'these records are priceless, and therefore free' - that was the kind of guy he was. Another time I rang up for something on his list that he had already sold, so he let me have his own copy instead.

Definite end of an era - RIP John

Social source share

Only just read this 

What a character the likes we will never come across again the total opposite of a stereotypical record dealer

he loved ranting and slated the soul establishment a real renegade

got a fair deal of records from John, when his list came through the door I'd be straight on the phone to him

please please don't be engaged I'd whisper silently ... Hi John you still got such and such no it's gone argh! Fuck 

but do you know this one he'd sel you summat else  even better and then keep chatting about anything except records for ages great guy who had time for you ... I can remember like it was yesterday he'd answer the phone all them idiots on the northern scene all after the same fuckin records like fuckin sheep and as for them fuckin dealers ( no names) they fuckin hate me ha! Loved his straight no nonsense attitudes. I'd like to think he's doing a deal with Mickey cruise in soul heaven 

RIP John

• Helpful 3
Social source share

UPSET AND SADDENED BY THE NEWS OF JOHN'S DEATH. GOT THE NEWS LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON  FROM DAVE BYRNE. ALL THAT'S BEEN SAID ABOUT JOHN I'D AGREE WITH. ALMOST ALL THE R&B RECORDS I HAVE I BOUGHT FROM HIM, THE VAST MAJORITY I DIDN'T KNOW BEFORE I BOUGHT THEM. HE WAS A BIG INFLUENCE MUSICALLY AND I'M SO PLEASED TO READ  THAT HE WAS HELD IN SUCH HIGH ESTEEM BY THE SOUL COMMUNITY.

RIP JOHN

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello everyone I thought I would jump back on to soul source and pay my respects to John Powney a man I had a respect for over the years! John was a throwback a real decent person,complicated and intelligent to boot -he loved his cats -non league football and could name any team from the forties onwards! 

In terms of soul knowledge I have not met anyone to match to be honest but unlike some he was so unassuming about it,not a smart arse -not looking for accolades just a mad eccentric Geordie who had the insight to ship crates yes crates of us imports over to north shields docks in the sixties. I made monthly visits to Johns in the late eighties and nineties either to trade but mostly to buy with my good friend Gaz Simons,jeez we would walk out with records like Jock Mitchell demo George Kirby demo the Performers etc for next to nowt -we often got the feeling Johns real pleasure was seeing your face when you bagged a long time want ! I can remember bagging Henry Brookes/the Reachers/ Moses Smith and about 100 invictus imports in one session plus love Committee etc for literally pennies -crazy days.We were often gobsmacked by the fact that we could literally view whole logos more than not on demos -Diamond Jim etc he had the lot !

He made terrible coffee lol and he made me laugh -he had a real vulnerable side but it warms my heart to know that decent lads looked after him in his later years. Rest in Peace John and God Bless.

Baz Atkinson

PS Back on my old log in !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Soul Shaw said:

Has anyone got a photo of John, l know the name, after 40 years on the scene , wheeling and dealing,I may well have had records off him, but I could do with putting a face to a name

RIP John

I'll have look if we have any from the times we had at the Devonshire in Skipton but don't hold your breath as Ive moved house etc...but once seen you never forgot him...countless folks would have never had guessed just how good and knowlegable he was to look at...and i mean that with the utmost respect he was'nt in anyway stereo typical of the soul scene...when he dj'd for us I'm sure one or two punters that did'nt know him thought he was a local from out the otherside of the pub that had wondered behind the decks:)...till they heard what he was playing...

Dave L

Edited by lfcjunkie
Spelling
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Had great respect for

John a fantastic taste  in soul music and way ahead of his time started with tamla motown at the very beginning, and progressed through the decades educating the younger collectors amongst us, rip, Col

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i used to share with Nick Marshall a Christmas Soul Pack from John for years..he would theme them at your request..how about that...i think he got a kick out of doing it.......very knowledgeable and a nice bloke...condolences to his family...RIP John.........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't post much , but have to thank Tony Fiddes      for his post at the start of this  - most sad and unfortunate thread

Tony has described John very well        there are simply very few people around on the soul scene or indeed wider scene of record collecting

who devoted as much of their life to learning so much about their passion.... the music

I will always remember John as the most helpful person I have ever come across selling records, he would always be so helpful...

hated the whole thing about over inflation of any records, but in particular the ridiculous over inflation of Northern soul 45s and record dealers profiteering  unnecessarily

I could try to think of others who could match johns integrity amongst record dealers..... but on the whole none would match in my time collecting

agree very much so that John did love company and would spend ages talking on the phone about everything and anything, as long as He wanted

but did not suffer fools gladly........

have  treasured all the records I have purchased from John.... as you just know when he sold them to you....... he wanted you to have them,

all the help and advice and most of all his persona........

Bless him

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

On behalf of and at the request of Paul Dickson who is organising proceedings -

The funeral of John Powney will be held at -

Tynemouth Crematorium on Wednesday 22nd June 2016 at 1.30pm.

Walton Avenue
North Shields
NE29 9NJ

The service will be conducted by a Humanist and if guests wish to do so, their will be an informal gathering at a local Public House.

At a later date there will be a soul event to respect the life of John and details will be posted nearer the time regarding the event.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I met John through Micky Cruise (RIP) and he was certainly a character. He knew so many facts about so many things, not just soul music. I remember going to see him one morning and we started chatting about Football that led on to Non League Football and the passion that John showed for Non League Football was the same as he showed for his music. We must have chatted for hours as he had to go and make his tea as before I moved onto the records. The Soul Scene is filled with so many flamboyant people and it is always sad when we lose someone. John will be remembered by many and I'm sure there will be a smile on there faces when they think of John (RIP)

David Skeen

Social source share

Guest marin
On 6/22/2016 at 14:39, dob said:

I think john powney would of chuckled to himself at his funeral today as 'dean parrish I'm on my way' played out of the speakers as we left the church R.I.P john

Strangely enough Bricks Bottles and Broken sticks started playing in the car as I drove from the Crem yesterday :(

John was a fantastic man, a friend and the sort of bloke who could talk the hind legs of a donkey when you caught him in the mood for a chat :)

I certainly won't be alone in missing him and that is even after he took the mick out of my taste in "Popular Northern"

I look forward to dusting down the dancing shoes for the tribute at St Doms, even if the shot silk suit no longer fits

Brian

Edited by marin
Social source share

Somehow or other, I have missed all this about John. I am totally shocked and very, very sad to hear he died, and even more upset that I missed his funeral. He was the one who persuaded me, many, many years ago, that R&B was the way to go, and that rare and brilliant records need not be expensive. He was down to earth, straightforward and more than a bit stubborn, and I admired him for all that. I met him a couple of times, but had many, many very interesting phone conversations with him, the last of which could only have been days before he eventually passed away, when we actually arranged to go up and see him in July. That, of course, will now never happen. I will find something suitable for the R&B room in Bridlington this weekend. Thank you John for the privilege of knowing you.

John Moffatt

Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

What a damn shame. Nice bloke John, shy, unassuming but a fabulous record knowledge, and a fantastic amount of vinyl too. We did lots of record deals. Generally, I gave him rare uptempo R&B and he gave me rare northern. It worked for both of us at the time, and I've never seen again half the records he got from me. A lovely bloke, but as his close friends know, very hard to get out of the house! RIP mate...

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!