Confused of Preston

Philt

48 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Or what about those who end every sentence "OK yeah?" or "alright yeah". Fecking hate it.

Or pronouncing the last word in a sentence in a slightly higher tone so it ends as if the statement is a question (?).........I forgive those Australians among us for doing so because that's their thing :D

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

I heard an absolute belter yesterday that might find its way into chav town, my partner bless her watches trash tv one of which is those bloody Kardashians, full of super awesome etc ,I usually make the tea or surf the net while she watches but my ears pricked up yesterday when one of them came out with a a corker "I'm so feckin lubricated" ,now what did that mean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Sorry Dave but I beg to differ, I was around in 68 to 70 and well remember the birth of Skinheads. Even in those early days, and well before the "oi" revival, some of the skins I knew would go "p*ki bashing" and this group would often include kids of West Indian origins.

I do however agree with your assessment of "skinhead reggae" its a total misnomer, it was just ska/reggae danced to by skinheads at the time.

I think the term Skinhead reggae describes the music recorded in Jamaica (and the UK, eg Symarip, Pama Dice et.c) which was post rocksteady (with the fast organ and guitar licks, and different beats) but generally recorded pre 1971 (unless DJ voiceovers are included)....I suppose it is a similar generalisation to the term Northern Soul

It's a shame, as there so much good reggae the skinheads are missing out on (eg good heavy roots, and rockers), but presumably they are only allowed to dance a la moonstomp and must follow the rules at all times to fit in

Social source share

10 minutes ago, cutdown69 said:

I think the term Skinhead reggae describes the music recorded in Jamaica (and the UK, eg Symarip, Pama Dice et.c) which was post rocksteady (with the fast organ and guitar licks, and different beats) but generally recorded pre 1971 (unless DJ voiceovers are included)....I suppose it is a similar generalisation to the term Northern Soul

It's a shame, as there so much good reggae the skinheads are missing out on (eg good heavy roots, and rockers), but presumably they are only allowed to dance a la moonstomp and must follow the rules at all times to fit in

That's the reggae I was referring to, not that god awful Buster Bloodvessel garbage etc that came along later.

Social source share

Mate is/was a heavily used term in and around Bedfordshire by everyone young and old. Always made me smile when an older lady in the shop called you mate. Bit like love and chuck up here in Stockport now!

I agree "can I get" drives me bloody mad. And yes I am 58! 

Social source share

heres a couple.............."listen " and  "look"  used by sports people  to start a sentence

As for record grading , its a nightmare trying to describe  a 45  then realising you got it wrong when you look at it again before you post it to the buyer.....they look good when you price them but seem  to deteriorate after they have been sold:g::D

Edited by ezzie brown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 05 June 2016 at 11:49, Dave Rimmer said:

That is so true about coffee. I'm not much of a coffee aficionado and will pretty much drink any white coffee, but Jess, being American, drinks black Americano coffee.

I get so angry when I order a coffee for her and ask for a black Americano when the kid behind the counter says "Do you want milk with that"

no you fuckwit, that's why I asked for a BLACK Americano !!!

Aah,but does Jessica say to you,"I could sure use a coffee". What do our American friends use it for.?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

ABSOLUTELY 

At The End Of The Day

ML

At The End Of The Day..........My sister-in-law uses this a lot & every time she says it I can't help myself saying "It's Midnight" :D

She also uses Blah-Di-Blah a lot.........just lazy & short for I can't be arsed to fill the sentence with proper words :dash2:

I knew this would be a great thread :D

Cheers

Martyn (56.....feeling 70)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When eating out in the US the waiter/waitress would often say "your meal will be with you 'momentarily' sir"., being awkward I used to reply "why, are you going to take it away shortly after bringing it..."   just got some strange looks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And everyone seems to want a hug on meeting these days , what's wrong with a good firm handshake ...  not a finger-breaker or a limp dead fish type ... just a good old-fashioned handshake ... ?

And don't even start me on those that start every sentence with "Like" or "You know it" in reply to every comment  ... :sleep3:

Social source share

"You know what I'm saying?"........After every other bleeding sentence! Grrrrrrr! Thanks Phil for allowing us to 'vent', it's done me the world of good Grrrrr! :D

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

And everyone seems to want a hug on meeting these days , what's wrong with a good firm handshake ...  not a finger-breaker or a limp dead fish type ... just a good old-fashioned handshake ... ?

Also, when did all this 'European kissing' start happening here big time? It's awkward! 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Every time Jamie Oliver open his mouth I want to beat him senseless.

:elvis:

Why? He's senseless already. This is the 'celeb' who single handedly banned sweet and pop sales in schools by cuddling up to some politicians. I think he might be to blame for all those cookery programmes on TV nowadays.

Social source share

When politicians and Senior Police say "Strong Lessons have been learned from this."No they haven't"

When the same people say"It's not in the publics interest"" Who gave them the Monopoly on Wisdom. ?

When talking to the Police they always say "I didn't catch your name" That's  because you never mentioned it.

All the above are a Embarrasment to the Public

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'Awesome'. Why when someone does the most basic simple task do people say 'That's Awesome'..

'High school'.  Seem to remember it being 'Senior School' when was a kid.

'The gift that keeps on giving'. Another of those Americanisms that now make up more and more of our lingo.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

When politicians and Senior Police say "Strong Lessons have been learned from this."No they haven't"

When the same people say"It's not in the publics interest"" Who gave them the Monopoly on Wisdom. ?

When talking to the Police they always say "I didn't catch your name" That's  because you never mentioned it.

All the above are a Embarrasment to the Public

"Lessons will be learnt".......Has replaced......"Who's fault was it?"

(It's a cop out)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Zed1 said:

'Awesome'. Why when someone does the most basic simple task do people say 'That's Awesome'..

Reminds me of Eddie Izzard talking about that - The first man on the moon explains what it's like being there........"It's awesome!"......."Eh? Sausages are awesome, can it be as good?" 

The overuse of the word! :D

Social source share

On 6/5/2016 at 10:10, PhilT said:

Morning

Is "stone mint" better than mint?

When is a "Grail" not really a Grail (or even remotely holy)?

Who decides what is "rare and underplayed" and how?

Does "big ticket" mean "some clowns with too much money and no idea bid each other up"?

When was "please can I have" officially replaced by "can I get"?

Cut me some slack, I'm nearly fifty and don't know what's happening ...

Hi Phil,

'Like', I'm not sure what you created here - It now seems a bit 'far removed' from 'All about the soul' (I blame Dave Rimmer) :D

May need to move this to freebasing, but will leave 'as is' for now (being as it's making us all laugh)

Nice one 'Buddy' :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

Hi Phil,

'Like', I'm not sure what you created here - It now seems a bit 'far removed' from 'All about the soul' (I blame Dave Rimmer) :D

May need to move this to freebasing, but will leave 'as is' for now (being as it's making us all laugh)

Freebasing! :wicked:

You mean the General Forum Leonard - surely? :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

Hi Phil,

Isnt freebasing something to do with smoking cocaine and heroin together ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Freebasing! :wicked:

You mean the General Forum Leonard - surely? :D

"Leonard"........:( Another word Nina (Bless her again) uses - I know I'm in trouble when that gets used :D

General forum - I dunno, you may be right, I'm new to this moderating malarkey :wink:

Len :thumbsup: 

18 minutes ago, Dave Rimmer said:

Isnt freebasing something to do with smoking cocaine and heroin together ?

Yeh, let's go there :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 16:15, hullsoul said:

At The End Of The Day..........My sister-in-law uses this a lot & every time she says it I can't help myself saying "It's Midnight" :D

She also uses Blah-Di-Blah a lot.........just lazy & short for I can't be arsed to fill the sentence with proper words :dash2:

I knew this would be a great thread :D

Cheers

Martyn (56.....feeling 70)

Martyn

When all is said and done, there is normally more said than done!

Who is the "70" you are feeling and does Lynn know?

See you Friday

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest themroc

Walked into the court asked the judge "can I get a witness "? C**t gave me 8 months. Is he on Soul Source? 

Social source share

On 7 June 2016 at 14:07, LEN said:

Hi Phil,

Leonard, please leave the item where it is to save me starting a thread 'Befuddled in London'. I'm inclined to blame Starbucks rather than Dave Rimmer but surely Manny has to carry the can for hyping up the Holy Grails. Mind you, he does have some tasty big-ticket OK for dee-jaying items in his weekly competition. I suspect all of us who buy and (have to) sell records are prone to marketing our wares in cliched terms but those in the Secret Society understand the language. Going back on thread, I am confused by 'going big', 'current spin', 'recently reactivated', 'copy going spare'  which loosely translate as price shooting up, my mate played this, found at the bottom of the sales box and quantity just turned up.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Typo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 6/6/2016 at 12:12, WoodButcher said:

And don't even start me on those that start every sentence with "Like" or "You know it" in reply to every comment  ... :sleep3:

or people who are arrogant like you. i really  enjoy meeting people like you face to face. can't wait.

Social source share

3 hours ago, VinylvilleLA said:

or people who are arrogant like you. i really  enjoy meeting people like you face to face. can't wait.

This thread is just a bit of light-hearted banter - Let's keep it that way :wink:

Cheers,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 9 June 2016 at 04:25, PhilT said:

Is Pacifically an oceanic reference or the same as specifically?

Still confused

Preston

No, I think it's a label. Bit like Atlantic. Arctic is another label, sometimes pale blue and occasionally white which really confuses me as I have to check the bootleg guide in case I play a second issue. I think someone out there collects ocean related labels too, more weird than confusing as the records are filed by number instead of alphabetical order. This sounds like office work to me but it could be fun I suppose...

Social source share

And everyone seems to want a hug on meeting these days.
I do wonder about that, when did that start. Seemed to come out of nowhere and everyones at it.
What's wrong with just mumblin hello, worked well for years.

What's an "Americano" coffee?

Another of those Americanisms that now make up more and more of our lingo.
Insidious ain't it, and not only in the vernacular - it's getting to look more like the 51st state every time I go over and it's even happened in NYC.

Social source share

People who talk in that strange...Australian waaaay.The voice goes up and down the register.Mom and folks.It's mam,mammy,mother and mum.Folks....they were the villagers in Hammer horror film's carrying stakes.Starting sentences with Like.It was so "random". The emphasis on the word "so" in a sentence.

Social source share

On 5 June 2016 at 10:10, PhilT said:

Morning

Is "stone mint" better than mint?

When is a "Grail" not really a Grail (or even remotely holy)?

Who decides what is "rare and underplayed" and how?

Does "big ticket" mean "some clowns with too much money and no idea bid each other up"?

When was "please can I have" officially replaced by "can I get"?

Cut me some slack, I'm nearly fifty and don't know what's happening ...

Grading is becoming an art form. Not allowed to be negative about anything for fear of upsetting etc

i hate when people say in restaurants and Cafes - "I think I'll be having the Steak" You would like !!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!