JNixon

EURO 2016 FOOTBALL THREAD

Seeing as nobody else has started one yet, we are only a few days away from the scheduled opener in France.

Very interesting contest for us for many reasons, the main being I feel we have a reasonable squad for once and with many  making comparisons between 20 years ago when we got a fair way but not far enough, it should be exciting. Roy has nowhere to hide now

We have goalscorers but a leaky defence, a Rooney question and the possibly rash inclusion of Rashford to name a few pre tounrament talking points. After a poor season in the domestic league Im hoping for some decent results. 

So thoughts on Rooney to kick it off? Bench bit player for me.

10 hours ago, JNixon said:

Seeing as nobody else has started one yet, we are only a few days away from the scheduled opener in France.

Very interesting contest for us for many reasons, the main being I feel we have a reasonable squad for once and with many  making comparisons between 20 years ago when we got a fair way but not far enough, it should be exciting. Roy has nowhere to hide now

We have goalscorers but a leaky defence, a Rooney question and the possibly rash inclusion of Rashford to name a few pre tounrament talking points. After a poor season in the domestic league Im hoping for some decent results. 

So thoughts on Rooney to kick it off? Bench bit player for me.

On the bench for me , but I would assume that Hodgson will accommodate Rooney just because of who he is and that will be our downfall plus the defence .

Play Kane and Vardy up front and lets play to their strengths which is their pace and mobility , nearly 50 goals between them this season it should be a no brainer .   

my thoughts exactly on both points.

its a very simple game  -score more than your opponents. i dont mind being leaky if we are scoring but that will only get us so far. We come up against a team who can close them down ittl fall apart

And I thought this forum was multi cultural? Are we to have a topic for every nation involved?

Anyway, Rooney will play, he is captain, Roy H won't leave his captain on the bench regardless how much everyone else would want it to be.

As for us scoring a lot, most haven't played tournament football and neither is it anything like the Premier League.  Mistakes are few and far between, chances even scarcer and teams like Germany, Italy and Spain know how to close teams down, harrass them and above all retain possesion.

just a quick in a rush site note

have changed the title from OFFICIAL ENGLAND EURO 2016 FOOTBALL THREAD to EURO 2016 FOOTBALL THREAD as may work better

come on Wales!

heres my two pennerth cant believe woy as left the most dynamic and best performing midfielder in Danny Drinkwater out of the squad and picked players who have hardly kicked a ball all season  , its a diabolical choice as far as Im concerned ,

anyroads art I will be rooting for all the home nations apart from Scotland ,

so come on England ,Ireland and Wales ,

Edited by barney

Come on Scotland!.............Oh, sorry, wrong thread:lol:

We obviously have the ability, we played Germany of the park with a few "naive" but very much in-form kids. But Hodgson always reverts back to reputation over form. Quite a few of that squad shouldn`t even be there!

Edited by Steve Lane

I was amazed that Townsend wasn't in the squad. Last time we had Walker and Townsend together in the team we were devastating down that right side. He has the pace, and he actually puts balls across. He can also cut inside and score. 

Bookies don't give England much of a chance, guess everything depend on winning handsomely against Russia. Whatever they do they'll end it playing Germany :yes: Tough to choose a favourite, up until 3 weeks ago I would have said Belgium but with their defence in shreds gonna be tough not to gulp down many goals.

23 minutes ago, Quinvy said:

There's always a team that surprises everyone and tears up the form book.

Haven't been following it much, but, some say Austria and Croatia are both more than handy outsiders

11 hours ago, kev cane said:

Haven't been following it much, but, some say Austria and Croatia are both more than handy outsiders

Croatia were the surpise package 20 years ago and since Poborsky left Utd Ive not really seen much of any of thir players. We dont get many in LG1.

On 06/06/2016 at 12:06, mike said:

just a quick in a rush site note

have changed the title from OFFICIAL ENGLAND EURO 2016 FOOTBALL THREAD to EURO 2016 FOOTBALL THREAD as may work better

come on Wales!

Fair enough. I didnt think it though. 

I hope all the home nations do well. Ahem...

Just now, JNixon said:

Croatia were the surpise package 20 years ago and since Poborsky left Utd Ive not really seen much of any of thir players. We dont get many in LG1.

Croatia always produced good players, suspect temperament always been a knock against them and the inability to gel as a group, could be different this time, the old Yugoslavia always carried the stigma of plenty of good players but lack of cohesion and suspect temperament ultimately leading to under achievement, will be fun watching Croatia though

1 minute ago, kev cane said:
7 minutes ago, JNixon said:

Fair enough. I didnt think it though. 

I hope all the home nations do well. Ahem...

If Scotland had got through I would be cheering them on as I will all our teams!

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

If Scotland had got through I would be cheering them on as I will all our teams!

I don't know why, they bloody hate us and would support anybody other than England. 

3 hours ago, Quinvy said:

I don't know why, they bloody hate us and would support anybody other than England. 

Absolutely Phil, I'm delighted they haven't qualified and sincerely hope they never qualify for a tournament again........

6 hours ago, Quinvy said:

It has to be that deep-fried chip they all have on their shoulder.

But we`re much better than that!

Edited by Steve Lane

Dark horse......England if Roy sticks with youth and they play with the no fear attitude we have seen at times.  If he reverts to reputation then we will struggle to get past second round. When I saw Drinkwater was left out I feared the worst.

Portugal if they can find their shooting boots could surprise a few.  Their defence is pretty good (famous last words) and in Ronaldo have a player who can destroy teams in a second. But none are showing or have shown any real consistency in their play and a few of the big teams are in transition, Germany and Italy for instance but they still know how to play the tournaments when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

15 hours ago, chalky said:

Dark horse......England if Roy sticks with youth and they play with the no fear attitude we have seen at times.  If he reverts to reputation then we will struggle to get past second round. When I saw Drinkwater was left out I feared the worst.

Portugal if they can find their shooting boots could surprise a few.  Their defence is pretty good (famous last words) and in Ronaldo have a player who can destroy teams in a second. But none are showing or have shown any real consistency in their play and a few of the big teams are in transition, Germany and Italy for instance but they still know how to play the tournaments when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

Alas he plays to his weaknesses does Roy!

15 hours ago, chalky said:

Do you think this time around we have anyone like that who will instill the same kind of fear ?

Does anyone have a particular interest in any other country aside from their own or any players that may not be that well known to look out for?

For example Im quite keen to see the Iceland games as Johan Berg Gudmunndsson is playing. Class player definitely PL quality, albeit lower end of. Currently on our tranfser list. 

59 minutes ago, JNixon said:

Do you think this time around we have anyone like that who will instill the same kind of fear ?

Perhaps Jamie Vardy, but I understand he probably won't even start tomorrow. If he does, he'll probably be out of position. If he's in the right position, he won't get the right service. We've got no chance - again :(

2 hours ago, JNixon said:

Does anyone? We have players who can hurt sides if played in their best position, players like Dier could be crucial, he is a good attacking midfielder as is his team mate Ali who is also very skillful but by all accounts coming out of the camp players will be played out of position to accommodate Rooney. Why England managers insist on playing players out of position and playing out of form and injured players is beyond me.

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Does anyone? We have players who can hurt sides if played in their best position, players like Dier could be crucial, he is a good attacking midfielder as is his team mate Ali who is also very skillful but by all accounts coming out of the camp players will be played out of position to accommodate Rooney. Why England managers insist on playing players out of position and playing out of form and injured players is beyond me.

I personally feel that playing Andres Townsend in front of Walker, were devastating and Townsend can come inside a score. Think he could scare any defence. But Roy said non!

Edited by Quinvy

2 hours ago, chalky said:

The reason is quite simple i reckon, if he didn't pick Rooney and England lose / have a poor tournament, the outcry in the media would be massive - "why didn't he pick Rooney, our best player, proven goalscorer  blah blah blah" etc etc

Substitute Rooney for Beckham, Bryan Robson and others over the years, every England manager manager for as long as I can remember has done the same thing because they haven't got the balls to do otherwise and i can't see Hodgon doing any different this time.

3 hours ago, chalky said:

You dont think Kane will be?

4 hours ago, JNixon said:

You dont think Kane will be?

Yes and the same for Sturbridge and Vardy if they play but they need the service.  I don't think Rooney will be the best option though to provide the service for the forwards.

5 hours ago, Steve L said:

The reason is quite simple i reckon, if he didn't pick Rooney and England lose / have a poor tournament, the outcry in the media would be massive - "why didn't he pick Rooney, our best player, proven goalscorer  blah blah blah" etc etc

Substitute Rooney for Beckham, Bryan Robson and others over the years, every England manager manager for as long as I can remember has done the same thing because they haven't got the balls to do otherwise and i can't see Hodgon doing any different this time.

He is not our best player anymore and he certainly isn't proven at tournament level, 6 goals is all he has scored at tournament, he has been one big let down at tournaments.

1 hour ago, chalky said:

He is not our best player anymore and he certainly isn't proven at tournament level, 6 goals is all he has scored at tournament, he has been one big let down at tournaments.

I know that, you know know it but does the man who counts know it? 

On 6/9/2016 at 09:40, JNixon said:

To be fair Poborsky was a Czech not a Croat........... as well as being a one trick pony.

I thought France got off to a good start last night given the usual opening match/hosts pressure thing

For interest here's Ladbrokes take

EURO 2016 - EURO 2016 OUTRIGHTS

France 16/5
Germany 9/2
Spain 5/1
England 8/1
Belgium 10/1
Italy 16/1
Portugal 16/1
Croatia 25/1
Poland 40/1
Austria 40/1
Switzerland 50/1
Russia 66/1
Turkey 66/1
Ukraine 80/1
Wales 80/1
Sweden 100/1
Czech Republic 100/1
Iceland 125/1
Republic of Ireland 150/1
Slovakia 150/1
Romania 200/1
Albania 250/1
Northern Ireland 250/1
Hungary 300/1

13 minutes ago, JNixon said:

France didnt look massivley impressive but their winning goal was tidy

Teams that come flying out of the blocks don't usually win the tournament, they peak too soon and shoot their juice early, (sounds familiar) on most occasions (not every) a team will build into a tournament and peak at the right time (sounds unfamiliar) France will be there or thereabouts IMHO, Germany and Italy are masters at it

I usually have a couple of quid on the top scorer but this year not done so, just had a quick look on Paddy Power odds page and seen Vardy is 33/1 ,seems a decent price for an inform striker.

Here's a stat from todays paper to curb the enthusiasm of all of you who've still got any:

Since the 2006 world cup the number of wins in tournament football:

Germany & Spain 18

Holland 14

Portugal 7

England......... 3

Those were against Slovenia, Sweden & Ukraine all of which were extremely memorable as I'm sure you'll all remember......... and yet England are 8/1 4th favourites??

Ridiculous - signed Dr Gloom 

doomandgloom.co.uk 

Well done Wales. Solid overall perfomance by all concerned. They look like a crew who are really working for each other.

How many yellow cards for Slovakia? Skrtel should have gone. Wales should have won by another.

Edited by JNixon
typo

22 minutes ago, chalky said:

Been thinking the same, it has 1-0 Russia all over it lol

Indeed. Classic creeping team. But against that we have shown something.  We look nice though.

Jeez it aint our day. 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.