What is this automobile record player??

When in was a young lad my father's best friend who years before were in the army together,used to come up to Yorkshire from South Wales to visit us,I remember he was a rep for Philips records,and drove a Humber Sceptre which then was a nice car.One year he was coming up and I was going back down with him to stop for a few days, he arrived in a new car a Humber Super Snipe which was dead smart.I remember us travelling down when he said I'll put some music on and would you reach behind my seat and get that small box of records.He told me what record to pick out and said pop it in the slot of the record player attached to the underside of the dash.I Was amazed at this record player when it played not once did it jump when travelling over bumps and it would play the other side of the record if you wanted it to.I remember it was made by Philips played good and sounded clear.I've not seen one since and would say at the time it would be the early to mid 60's  It must have been state of the art then.I sincerely hope you manage to find one and get it up and running in your car.Can you imagine playing real vinyl in your car, a must for "Soulies". It will be interesting to see how you get on,who knows you might start a trend that brings back the in-car record player!. All the best Fred Ward.

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Seen on the telly recently a clip from Muhammad Ali when he became the world boxing champion,when interviewed the first thing he said was bring that guy forward as he's my hero he's Sam Cooke.Really nice to see things like that. regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There were several kinds made either specifically for a marque eg Chrysler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Hi-Fi

or for any car. I believe Norelco made one too

https://www.radvet.com/Car_Record_Players.html

There was one in a Chevy Biscane I had- a 60 if I recall. Never worked right and the insides rusted easily it seems.
I sold it on to a collector for parts as I didn't want to bother with it.
The one thing they all had in common though was a tracking weight of about 3 1/2 lbs. So all your 45s were Deep Groove after a while

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ha! Ha!  Wish I'd have known about them.  My Grandfather had a Canadian Chrysler from 1953-60.  I wonder if it could have accommodated one of those record players?  It wouldn'have helped me.  I had only 78s, 45s and some 33s.  I didn't have any 16 2/3s!!!  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Emperor Rosco guested at Whitchurch civic centre few times in the 70s he had one in his car along with a tape recorder on which he used to record jingles for his show's, I never actually saw it but the chap I was working for Steve Obertelli (Right Track Disco) was chatting with him out in the car park and was excited to tell everyone about it on his return to the decks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!