The Fuller Brothers On Soul Clock

Guest eedeecee

Guest eedeecee

the_fuller_brothers__time_s_a_wasting.jpthe_fuller_brothers__moaning_side.jpg(po

hi there,

I recently came across this disc by The Fuller Brothers -moaning, groaning and crying/time's a wasting on Soul Clock SC 105. The labels are yellowish gold with red printing. The run out groove has the inscription F 2725, F 2724 respectively. The label mentions 'distributed by Fantasy /Galaxy records'.

does anybody knows if this is the 1st pressing and what it is worth??

Also I am curious to know which clubs in the UK play or have played this record and what side is big....

thanks sofar whistling.gif

eedeecee

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yeh,got to agree ,apparently "Time,s A Wasting was a big play at the Torch in Tunstall(or so i,ve always thought) 1972-73,also look out for the backing track used again on--"Remember Me" also on Soul clock--i think?

Tony.C.

Social source share

This is the SECOND release (not a boot) but the second release distributed from Berkeley based Galaxy/Fantasy.

The FIRST release is a GOLD label with RED text the clock has #'s 1 to 12 on it.

We sell the copy you have for £30

The "clock" with numbers first press we sell @ £50

hope that helps

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

This is the SECOND release (not a boot) but the second release distributed from Berkeley based Galaxy/Fantasy.

The FIRST release is a GOLD label with RED text the clock has #'s 1 to 12 on it.

hope that helps

moanin, groanin and cryin is on keymen as well, where does that fit in?

Social source share

Yeah you got the original first release worth about £25 I'd say,not much demand for this oldie these days I'd say,no doubt someone may have different ideas,quite a nice tune though.ps...Times a wasting is the track to play

Times a wasting is an old Torch play - but don't discard the Moaning Groaning side. In my opinion it's the superior side, also released on Keyman & a great "earthy" dancer but probably too slow for early 70s, just right for now tho'..... I occasionally play it out in London at Solid Hit & SITC

Yes Tony, Whispers Remember me Soul Clock, & also another track with the same backing but I can't think who by at the moment, have to say though imo it's the worst of the trio so not worth remembering whistling.gif

Social source share

I envy you the thrill of stumbling across a record of this quality knowing nothing about the artists or the track's very long history as a Northern Soul scene classic.

It's easy to forget that tracks which we often regard as old hat are the scene's greatest (only?) weapon in finding new converts.

Social source share

Hearing Time's a wasting for the first time was a magical experience. The hunt for a copy was on and the Lighting shop in Petticoat Lane was where I found my copy (1st issue too) for 75p. I played it at SITC last year and was pleasantly surprised by the reaction. Don't hear it too often these days (cue Dave G!).

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

I envy you the thrill of stumbling across a record of this quality knowing nothing about the artists or the track's very long history as a Northern Soul scene classic.

you are right about the thrill of finding this 45 but even more so, discovering more about the meaning of this disc to DJ's and clubbers equals finding it...I am recently re-discovering Northern Soul music. I have never experienced the UK scene in the clubs, but I have collected the music for a long time... this recent find is a completely new discovery for me!

it was in a box of a local journalist who actually reviewed soul music for a magazine in the days and who sold off his 'old' records, most in great condition too.

I never heard of The Fuller Brothers, I looked up some info on the group and if my information is right the group must be white folks?? Hard to believe that!! Soul Clock is a great label, must look up some more...

Social source share

Hearing Time's a wasting for the first time was a magical experience. The hunt for a copy was on and the Lighting shop in Petticoat Lane was where I found my copy (1st issue too) for 75p. I played it at SITC last year and was pleasantly surprised by the reaction. Don't hear it too often these days (cue Dave G!).

Cue me ....why ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Times a wasting is an old Torch play - but don't discard the Moaning Groaning side. In my opinion it's the superior side, also released on Keyman & a great "earthy" dancer but probably too slow for early 70s, just right for now tho'..... I occasionally play it out in London at Solid Hit & SITC

also another track with the same backing but I can't think who by at the moment,

Isn't it "Sugar Pie Honey" by the Promatics? Can't say for sure, haven't heard it in years...

TONE ohmy.gif

Social source share

Yes Tony, Whispers Remember me Soul Clock, & also another track with the same backing but I can't think who by at the moment, have to say though imo it's the worst of the trio so not worth remembering :lol:

Sugar Pie Honey by the Promatics. Bought this on an emidisc with Buch Baker Working At The Go Go on the other side. I actually prefer the promatics. Possibly because it is the least played. I think the Whispers remember me is a bit lacklustre.

But that's opinions for you

Paul

OK I was slowest on the draw with that one. Was I the only one that couldn't remember the label though. wicked.gif:shades:

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Guest eedeecee

I'd be amazed if these Fuller Brothers were white: it would make the lyrics of Time's A Wasting a bit odd if they were from a white perspective.

the_fuller_brothers_image.jpg(post-263-1

must be another group!?

Social source share

hope that helps

Isnt there a lookalike bootleg? Not stamped

And a very rare demo

Social source share

the_fuller_brothers__time_s_a_wasting.jpthe_fuller_brothers__moaning_side.jpg(po

hi there,

I recently came across this disc by The Fuller Brothers -moaning, groaning and crying/time's a wasting on Soul Clock SC 105. The labels are yellowish gold with red printing. The run out groove has the inscription F 2725, F 2724 respectively. The label mentions 'distributed by Fantasy /Galaxy records'.

does anybody knows if this is the 1st pressing and what it is worth??

Also I am curious to know which clubs in the UK play or have played this record and what side is big....

thanks sofar :unsure:

eedeecee

Hi

I've scanned my copies of SC105 & SC109 both are Promotional and both are Stamped

The Cuckoo Clock Design is the first press but is very rare.

The Whispers which has the same backing track, also has "Remember Me" whereas some have "Remember".

Soul_Clock_SC-105aDJ.jpgSoul_Clock_SC-109aDJ.jpgJoJo_2201a.jpg

The Promatics on Jo Jo also used the same backing track

I hope this helps

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Heres a Fuller Bros listing...going by the earlier titles I would hazard a guess at two different groups.

FULLER BROTHERS

Framed Convicted And Condemned

Moon River

CHALLENGE 9119

Ballad Of The Midnight Special

The Gallow Tree

CHALLENGE 9145

I Saw Her First

Look Baby (The Sun Is Shining

MONUMENT 892

Judge Me With Your Heart

MONUMENT 925

Big Church Wedding

Down

MONUMENT 995

Let Me Love You

Don't Knock Me

BELL 734

By My Side (I Want Her

Moanin' Groanin' And Cryin'

]KEYMEN 110

]FULLER BROTHERS

Groupie

Bitter Honey

DECCA 32450

Let Me Love You

Don't Knock Me

SOUL CLOCK 101

Time's A-Wasting

Moaning Groaning And Crying

SOUL CLOCK 105

I Want Her By My Side

Stranger At My Door

SOUL CLOCK 1002

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

must be another group!?

I think there must have been a number of groups called The Fuller Brothers. There was one (white) with Jerry Fuller in it and I think Bobby Fuller was also in a band of the same name before Bobby Fuller Four. Wonder if the pic is either of those?

Freddie Hughes mentions what I assume is the black group:

Freddie described those early days in the Bay Area; "I was under age but the people had talent shows at various clubs. I was able to get in and sign up for the talent show and sing these songs which a couple of DJ's liked. They called me the "Male Little Aretha Franklin". I did one talent show singing "Talk To Me" by Little Willie John - I was about 14-15 years old and I won the talent shows at the Showcase and Sportsman Club. I was up against Wylie Trass, The Fuller Brothers, Johnny Talbot and the Thing, Marvin Holmes and the Uptights etc. I know Edwin Hawkins and his brothers personally and I sang in their group when I was coming up because we went to the same church. I worked with Eugene Blacknell for years in San Francisco at the Ghetto Club. John Turk and the 3rd Street Annexe I worked with them for years."

Godz

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

I think there must have been a number of groups called The Fuller Brothers. There was one (white) with Jerry Fuller in it and I think Bobby Fuller was also in a band of the same name before Bobby Fuller Four. Wonder if the pic is either of those?

Freddie Hughes mentions what I assume is the black group:

Freddie described those early days in the Bay Area; "I was under age but the people had talent shows at various clubs. I was able to get in and sign up for the talent show and sing these songs which a couple of DJ's liked. They called me the "Male Little Aretha Franklin". I did one talent show singing "Talk To Me" by Little Willie John - I was about 14-15 years old and I won the talent shows at the Showcase and Sportsman Club. I was up against Wylie Trass, The Fuller Brothers, Johnny Talbot and the Thing, Marvin Holmes and the Uptights etc. I know Edwin Hawkins and his brothers personally and I sang in their group when I was coming up because we went to the same church. I worked with Eugene Blacknell for years in San Francisco at the Ghetto Club. John Turk and the 3rd Street Annexe I worked with them for years."

Godz

I think you are right. I have found a few bits of info on the name The Fuller Brothers and to clear the confusion;

The Fuller brothers were a popular Utah band with an eclectic mix of bluegrass/folk/country/rock. Jerry Fuller was also responsible for the launch of the careers of O.C. Smith (little green apples) and Al Wilson (show and tell) Jerry wrote and produced...

Bobby Fuller, from Texas, was an American rock singer and guitarist best known for his classic "I Fought the Law" with The Bobby Fuller Four

180px_BobbyFullerFour.jpg(post-263-11605

and then there's The Fuller Brothers who recorded for Soul Clock....

the_fuller_brothers__time_s_a_wasting.jp

phew!

thanks guys for all the deep diggin! It sure helped...

Social source share

Hi

I've scanned my copies of SC105 & SC109 both are Promotional and both are Stamped

The Cuckoo Clock Design is the first press but is very rare.

The Whispers which has the same backing track, also has "Remember Me" whereas some have "Remember".

Soul_Clock_SC-105aDJ.jpgSoul_Clock_SC-109aDJ.jpgJoJo_2201a.jpg

The Promatics on Jo Jo also used the same backing track

I hope this helps

Ive just had a look at my Soul Clock and interestingly ( never noticed it before) it says Duck / Jerk / HORSE ??

Ive done a duck and Jerked a fair bit but how do you do a HORSE ?? thumbsup.gif

What is clever between Times a Waisting and Remember is that allthough its the same backing track the similarity isnt immediately obvious at all !

And as mentioned allthough Remember is the weaker version flip it and there is a gem of a soulful track -Worth buying just for that alone! Sorry cant mp3 it for you,pity thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert