Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Pete S

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My dad was a great Billie H. fan,and i grew up listening to Lady Day,s records,Strange Fruit is absolutely sublime,and a song that needed to be recorded,(although she tired of performing it,late in her career.I have the book (of the same title--- and the amount of people who have been affected by this song is unbelievable.Nina Simone also recorded it and she also was uncomfortable performing it.A true classic.

Regards

Tony.C.

Edited by tony c
Social source share

Guest Trevski

pop_tree.jpg

Just looking at this pic, actualy highlights something that has always bothered me with the lyrics in "Strange fruit" for years. How do you hang someone from a poplar tree? conifer style tree with upright growing branches, and very bushy.Not good for dangling someone from. Would have thought an oak, or similar would have been better for the job. Just an observation. :unsure:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Amazing clip, I assume late on in her life looking at her but very powerful song (could this be the first deep soul song or is that for another thread).

Can you download these clips from You Tube (with it being bought over expect the free unregulated service to dissapear soon!!)

Fng hell Pete for someone that only likes pop stompers on vinyl you cant half spot a real soul performance (David Ruffin is tingling my spine as I type on other clip) :unsure:

Cheers for these from someone too lazy to search through the thing!!! :lol:

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Amazing clip, I assume late on in her life looking at her but very powerful song (could this be the first deep soul song or is that for another thread).

Can you download these clips from You Tube (with it being bought over expect the free unregulated service to dissapear soon!!)

Fng hell Pete for someone that only likes pop stompers on vinyl you cant half spot a real soul performance (David Ruffin is tingling my spine as I type on other clip) :unsure:

Cheers for these from someone too lazy to search through the thing!!! :lol:

Jock

Jock, if you're prepared to do some fiddling about converting files, it's quite easy.

If this link works, it's all there. I suggest downloading the add on for Firefox.

https://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.ph

if you decide to do it I'll tell you what software you need and how to do the rest, Craig posted up full instructions a month back but I've found some progs to make it easier since then

Social source share

the song is masterpiece full stop. billie holiday had a unique voice, languid, sultry, broken at times, definitely awe inspiring. love those photos of her with the gardenia in her hair. a tortured lady by all accounts. rejected by blacks for her almost white looks & also rejected (at first) by white hypocrites who preferred the 'real thing' ie big, loud & 'vulgar' singers like bessie smith. thanks pete!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!