Sly, Slick & Wicked on Bad Boys 1st & 2nd issue

Hi there, I understand that there are 3 pressings of their first single. The pale, matt label yellow label is first (1972 or what ?)  here on the top right, and the later third pressing with a shiny yellow label as here on the top left.

There's also another one on the matt pale label with Records - Los Angeles, Calif. but not italic and with different larger fonts like the following Bad Boys N° 1004 releases. This issue should be either second or third in line (see third and fourth scan bellow).

Oddity is that they copied the top half of both matt & pale label and had to redo with new fonts the lower half of the label to repress it on the shiny darker label.

They all uses the same matrix and sound alike even though they must have different ages. Does anyone knows better what date they are the trio of them ? 

Scan10001.JPG

Capture d’écran 2016-06-22 à 15.09.04.png with the same fonts as this 1978 one Capture d’écran 2016-06-22 à 15.51.33.png

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

2 hours ago, Mr Outsider said:

Pretty sure the shinier one is a boot made for the lowrider scene, and it certainly doesn't sound as good as the original. 

Not true, it sounds the same (I test play both with ear witness to agree that the sound quality are the same) and I agree it has a "dodgy" look. Don't forget that these Bad Boys records are theirs and they just released them how and when they wanted. But unless they made a copy cat imprint of the original matrix, those shiny dark yellow press used the exact same matrix. So they where maybe made for low ride scene (meaning 8T's or later BUT WHEN EXACTLY ?) but likely through the "official" connexion.

Social source share

Well there's a Facebook page for the group's leader Sonny Daye, so someone could easily ask on there what the full story is.

My GUESS is that Sonny Daye kept the original stampers (as he owned / ran the record label) and simply organised a re-press when the opportunity to sell extra copies presented itself. 

How many releases were there on Bad Boy in all; 4 x 45's & an LP ??

Some info on the group, it's members & a later record of theirs on this youtube clip ..... seems that there were 2 versions of the group in the recent past (& that's ignoring the more famous Cleveland group with the same name) ........

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Cheers for that Roburt, but I have no FB and will never. Someone else might do that and contact him and see if anything there can be clarified ?

The stampers "theory" with Sonny Daye is what I was implying.

On the Bad Boy records discography I only know of 1001 (S, S & W) 1004 (Eko) 1005 (S, S & W) and 1006 (S, S & W) and the LP.

What would be on Bad Boy 1002 & 1003 ?

Social source share

• 3 months later...

The plot thickens is common phrase... but here I just got in "another" copy of 'love's gonna pack up' and it's a darker yellow matt variation. Not only that and most important the "scratched"matrix is written with large character in a wider run out groove. First "old" lighter matt copy I owned and second "new" darker matt one I just got in.

Capture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 12.35.06.png Capture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 12.54.49.png

While both other italic BAD BOYS records matt and shiny label variations (as the 2 firsts shown on beginning of thread here above) share both the very same matrix and  stampers, this new one was made with another stamper. On ear, this new darker one suffers less of high distortion and so the basses are tighter and deeper.

I made a soundclip/mix of both tunes so you can ear the differences. Just a look at the recording "visual frequencies meter' top one being the old lighter one and the second the new one.

Capture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 13.00.58.png         sly.mp3

Check the mp3 I did here. Recorded one after the other without any touch on volume ! Start with the "old" one with pale label and thin matrix then the "new" one with darker label and large matrix. Then Switch and so on...

0:00 to 0:45 old lighter

0:45 to 1:30 new darker

1:30 to 2:15 old lighter

2:15 to 2:40 new darker

2:40 to 2:50 old lighter

2:50 to 3:10 new darker

So if Sonny Day pressed all those ones, he must have had an issue with the older stamper, masters and/or tapes. My guess is that those copies with the smaller matrix where made with a re-recording of the actual record. That could explain the lower volume and the distortions. Unless someone knows better...

Social source share

On 24/06/2016 at 20:44, tlscapital said:

Cheers for that Roburt, but I have no FB and will never. Someone else might do that and contact him and see if anything there can be clarified ?

The stampers "theory" with Sonny Daye is what I was implying.

On the Bad Boy records discography I only know of 1001 (S, S & W) 1004 (Eko) 1005 (S, S & W) and 1006 (S, S & W) and the LP.

What would be on Bad Boy 1002 & 1003 ?

Hi

Bad Boys  1002 is  Pepe Gamboa & Salsa Batida     My harp… 'in salsa'/My good humor

Bad Boys  1003 is  Johnny Gamboa    That good old feeling back again/P-Gut

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks to Dazz we can have an overview of the label variations through the numbers :

_________ITALIC_______________STRAIGHT_________

Capture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 12.54.49.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.25.05.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.22.04.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.23.43.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.29.56.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.31.51.pngCapture d’écran 2016-09-27 à 15.31.28.png

Now has anyone got the non-italic BAD BOYS records (straight NOT italic) of 'love' gonna pack up' as in second pic here and check if it's the wide scratched matrix with the broad run out groove or not ?

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!