lil major williams - re-issue??

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

P-651 Lil Major Williams - Girl (You're So Sweet, You're So Fine) / Girl Don't Leave Me (LH-13833/4) (re-pressing of Williams III #584)

ricky.

Social source share

17 hours ago, trickbag said:

P-651 Lil Major Williams - Girl (You're So Sweet, You're So Fine) / Girl Don't Leave Me (LH-13833/4) (re-pressing of Williams III #584)

ricky.

Thats the Palladium pressing 170271597274.jpg

Edited by sjclement
image added
Social source share

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 12:58, toodarnsoulful said:

Can anyone enlighten me, is there a bootleg lookalike re-issue of lil major williams - girl don't leave me etc. on williams III?? if so, when was it pressed etc. etc.

Cheers

***BE AWARE EVERYONE - THERE IS A 'WILLIAMS III' BOOTLEG 45 THAT HAS JUST APPEARED ON DISCOGS***

THE SELLER EVEN HAD THE CHEEK TO SELL IT ON THE ORIGINAL 'WILLIAMS III' LISTIING ON DISCOGS

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Social source share

A verbose/pedantic clarification. Skip if easily bored:

The discographical listing above speaking to the order of Williams issues - as it is my own authorship - is true to the best of my knowledge. Meaning: it's informed conjecture. Here's my rationale, without going too much into detail about how Palladium Records and Houston Recordings/Gaspar Puccio did their business in the mid-to-late 70s:

Important to note are Houston Records's ID numbers of LH-13833/13834; the "L" stands for Location Records (designating that it was mastered in Los Angeles at Location), and the "H" stands for Houston Records (pressing at the Houston Records plant). These numbers were issued in a chronological - and therefore relatively datable - manner, with (as far as I've been able to discern in Palladium's case) the lowest of the two numbers indicating the "A" side. In this case, for instance, LH-13833 is the "A."

P-651 was issued by Palladium in ~1979. The Houston ID, however, places the Location mastering at roughly 1974 or 1975. This is unusual for Palladium, which was a cash-in-hand business that generally aimed for a ~2 week turnaround between handshakes (I have some of their surviving half-typed, half-handwritten requests to prove it). Hard to believe that the Williams master would have sat around for 4-5 years before a waxing; it appears to be the only such offset ID in the Palladium discography, which is otherwise very predictable with its complimentary/parallel P-xxx and ID runs. Additionally, P-599 and P-600 are accounted-for on my list and bookend the LH-13833 number with their own IDs.

This is why I consider the Williams III pressing to be the first.

Yet, here's the thing: it's possible that the Williams III issue was actually a hasty re-press following the Palladium run - by its artist's own hand, and from the same exact masters. This scenario has occurred before: look no further than the Little Rose Company's Palladium/LRJ issues. in this way, the proprietor of Palladium did not appear to be stingy with his licensing (which is one of the things making my current above-the-table attempt at a Palladium reissue so tricky). A typical singles order for Palladium was between just 300-500 copies at this time, and "successful" records might have merited an artist's personal re-pressing with Palladium/Houston's glowing approval. Additionally, there is added session information on the Palladium label that does not appear on the Williams III issue.

At the end of the day, though, I believe the Williams III to have been the earlier issue; besides the above rationale, the Little Rose LRJ issues are synchronous with their P-xxx/LH-xxxxx in the context of the Palladium run.

Make of this what you will. Probably TMI.

Whether the Williams III has been booted or not, I cannot tell; I do not have either for a deadwax comparo.

-William Luck

Edited by Luck
Syntax
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!