Manships fast tracking

I enjoy reading, drooling and listening to all the records available on John Manships website however some of the titles I listen to seem a lot faster than on my turntable, the most recent and obvious Willie Kendricks - Change your Ways. Does the speed alter as its recorded from vinyl to whatever the format is that we listen to on our laptops etc?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Could it not just be that either their turntable is running too fast or yours too slow? I noticed on a recent sales list from a different dealer the sound clips seemed faster and having bought a record from them and put it on my turntable it indeed was. 

Social source share

You would be amazed at how many people haven't a clue how to use basic equipment.

Most turntables are belt driven and don't have strobe lights. They can be miles out.

Also, if someone has been playing with the pitch control and not put it back to -0+ it may not have been noticed by the person recording the sound files.

A lot of the early northern soul CD's were recorded at the wrong speed. I only noticed when years later I got the original vinyl.

Social source share

Guest WakefieldArchive

Good question! Could either be the speed adjustment on one of the turntables, or perhaps caused by the file format/conversion. When converting from .wav to .mp3 or video formats, sometimes there are adjustments to bit rate or other codec issues that can change the speed or pitch of the song.

Not that the times printed  on record labels are always accurate... but one way to test would be to see if the time on the record matches the play time of the file on the website you are viewing/listening on. Even a +/- 1 or 2 % speed difference could seem significant. 

Edited by WakefieldArchive
spelling
Social source share

It would be interesting to see how much more turntables have tended to get 'accidentally' set slower as we get old and creaky and less chemically pitched up : )

...Is this how interest in deep soul develops?

Must admit the cheapo turntable I have at home DOES seem to run significantly slow.

Dx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!