Steve Lane's profile photo

Mike Bassett, England manager?

Freebasing Steve Lane

Posted

Well he couldn`t do any worse than the last useless few!

So who do we think would actually make the national team tick?.....I know the whole setup needs dismantling and throwing in the bin, we need to start from scratch. 

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

So who do we think would actually make the national team tick?.....I know the whole setup needs dismantling and throwing in the bin, we need to start from scratch. 

They've said this after every tournament exit, and yet nothings changed it's still the usual Qualify, Scrape through the group, Get knocked out.

I'd have Jurgen 'The German' Klinsmann as a sort of Gamekeeper turned poacher. We need someone who knows how to play football OUTSIDE England, unlike the previous incumbents who seem clueless about anything past Dover.

Edited by Zed1

soul source url
Posted

lets get the Iceland manager. 

soul source url
Posted

Not the useless chump Southgate. Ineffectual pathetic manager.

soul source url
Posted

And Glenn said: “Roy has built a great team spirit. I am not a football expert but when I went into the dressing room the scene was of devastation and personal grief.

“I’ll be the counterbalance. We’ve two experts around me. The three of us will report back to the main board.”

Ex-Leicester director Glenn, 55, started his career as  brand manager at Cadbury before joining Birds Eye and Walkers.

Glenn will be joined in his search by the FA’s vice-chairman David Gill and technical director Dan Ashworth.

Martin Glenn Chief Executive FA

Is it any wonder (no not the crisps). Whilst i have every respect for David Gill as a great CEO when at United, there is no experience of either playing or managing on this panel.

soul source url
Posted

We need a manager like the Rugby Union national team have in Eddie Jones.  He doesn't give a fcuk about the press.  Picks players on merit and if something isn't going right, no matter how soon into the game he will make the change.

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Well he couldn`t do any worse than the last useless few!

It doesn't matter who gets the job Steve, the problems aren't down to hiring the wrong man, for a long time we haven't produced enough players who can cut it at the highest level, it's no coincidence that we exit tournaments when we do and how we do, its far more deep rooted, after the shambles of South Africa 2010 there was a lot of sabre rattling about getting to the root of the problems and changing things even if it meant suffering for a while, but, as will be the case this time aswell, a World cup qualifying win against the likes of Macedonia will get everybody frothed up again and all will be forgotten "We're back" to be honest, where this expectation comes from beggars belief, 2nd rate at this moment of time would be an over statement

Kev

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, stretfordender said:

And Glenn said: “Roy has built a great team spirit. I am not a football expert but when I went into the dressing room the scene was of devastation and personal grief.

“I’ll be the counterbalance. We’ve two experts around me. The three of us will report back to the main board.”

Ex-Leicester director Glenn, 55, started his career as  brand manager at Cadbury before joining Birds Eye and Walkers.

Glenn will be joined in his search by the FA’s vice-chairman David Gill and technical director Dan Ashworth.

Martin Glenn Chief Executive FA

Is it any wonder (no not the crisps). Whilst i have every respect for David Gill as a great CEO when at United, there is no experience of either playing or managing on this panel.

Of course before we start we need to remove these useless jobs for the boys from the equation!

Greg Dyke, who promised to make the changes necessary is of course still straining himself on the toilet by the sound of him. 

soul source url
Posted

Agree with all the comments above, and could go on and on.....as for a manager it's a shame Ronald koeman has just gone to Everton, I like him, but just my opinion......and as for Southgate....yeah let's put another yes man in with no idea but fits the f.a criteria.....grrrrr....kind regards.....Rob

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, chalky said:

We need a manager like the Rugby Union national team have in Eddie Jones.  He doesn't give a fcuk about the press.  Picks players on merit and if something isn't going right, no matter how soon into the game he will make the change.

Not only that but Eddie Jones also isn't trying to make the England rugby team play like the All Blacks or the Wallabies ... he's getting England to play the England way, he's telling the players to be true to their natural instincts and not be ashamed about it because they don't throw the football about all the time like the southern hemisphere teams.   

Clive Woodward took the same approach when he was in charge and won the World Cup.

Which is why it would not necessarily be such a retrograde step if the FA did appoint someone like Sam Allardyce. At least he would get them believing in themselves, get the defence organised , get the ball forward at every opportunity and constantly put pressure on the opposition ... just like they do every week in the Premier League.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Seeing as there aren`t many English managers to choose from.......one guy who` passion and knowledge was out there for all to see, has the right experience and credetials and he`s not done a bad job so far.

Slaven Bilic? 

Edited by Steve Lane

soul source url
Posted
23 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Seeing as there aren`t many English managers to choose from.......one guy who` passion and knowledge was out there for all to see, has the right experience andcredetials and he`s not done a bad job so far.

Slaven Bilic? 

Good call Steve, however, I think the problems are far too deep rooted, a friend of mine used to play rugby union, he told me once they were getting hammered at half time after they had trained and prepared  well all week, they all sat in the changing room, heads bowed, the door opened, in walked the coach, he said one sentence, "you can mould clay, but you can't mould shit" then walked out, and that is exactly what the incoming manager has to do with our football, we simply aren't good enough, and haven't been for generations

Kev

soul source url
Posted
On 29 June 2016 at 17:58, chalky said:

If he picked players on merit and was truly uninfluenced by media pressure he would not have included Jack Nowell and would have included Chris Ashton. If Chris Ashton's discipline was an issue why did he appoint Dylan Hartley? 

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kev cane said:

Good call Steve, however, I think the problems are far too deep rooted, a friend of mine used to play rugby union, he told me once they were getting hammered at half time after they had trained and prepared  well all week, they all sat in the changing room, heads bowed, the door opened, in walked the coach, he said one sentence, "you can mould clay, but you can't mould shit" then walked out, and that is exactly what the incoming manager has to do with our football, we simply aren't good enough, and haven't been for generations

Kev

I`ve been saying the same for ages......playing for their clubs they`re surrounded by very good (Some world class) players and this in turn makes them look and believe they`re better than they really are. Take them out of that comfort zone and they become the mediocre dross that we see time and time again.

And it certainly doesn`t help things when we get the qualifying group we had! 

Edited by Steve Lane

soul source url
Posted

Add to the above, we had a manager who also thought he was a lot better than he actually is who thought it was fine for Kane to take corners and free kicks.......i`m pretty sure he didn`t get one of those anywhere near the goal or his own players. 

soul source url
Posted

Uefa data from 2010 showed numbers of EUFA A&B pro coaches was 2,769. Spain 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970, France 17,588.  Any connection do you think ?

Ok this was 6 years ago but even if it has improved (which i dont think it has) it would take time for any positive effects.  Oh and the FA charge about 4-5 times the price to do the EUFA B licence in England compared to Germany/Spain.  

I agree with Steve Laner our best players look better than they are when surrounded by foreign talent.

soul source url
Posted

What worried me with Hodgson's reaction was that he didn't see anything from the first three games that indicated this defeat was coming.  Really? Just about every arm chair manager saw what was wrong with the team.

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, chalky said:

What worried me with Hodgson's reaction was that he didn't see anything from the first three games that indicated this defeat was coming.  Really? Just about every arm chair manager saw what was wrong with the team.

I saw that Chalky........I thought, how can he say that with a straight face?

soul source url
Posted

in case you didn't see this one.....   the england players didn't vote in the EU referendum because they couldn't see the box and when they did they couldn't put a x into it....

soul source url
Posted

This is the type of 180 grand a week shitbag that thousands of fans spent their hard earned money to go to France and watch.

https://youtu.be/uOLQqill5kU

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.