Articles: The MVP'S Uncovered!

Chalky

The 45 became such a popular record on the UK northern soul scene it warranted a reissue.

The reissue apparently (crazily?) commanded a sum well into three figures on ebay.

The US issue is seriously rare in comparison to the demo.  If anyone can supply a scan of the flip it would be appreciated.

soul R 2248376 1303227362.jpeg

soul R 2248376 1303227368.jpeg

Social source share

8 minutes ago, guyh said:

Could Emory Cloud be the Emory from Emory and The Dynamics then? They are both Atlanta labels. It's a good bet... 

Here's Emory & the Dynamics from 1968, there is a similarity between Emory Cloud and the middle guy stood up. Hard to tell as both at a different angle.

Emory & Dynamics 1968.jpg 

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul
On 02/07/2016 at 15:19, chalky said:

Here's Emory & the Dynamics from 1968, there is a similarity between Emory Cloud and the middle guy stood up. Hard to tell as both at a different angle.

Also The Four Dynamics?

Social source share

23 minutes ago, guyh said:

Could Emory Cloud be the Emory from Emory and The Dynamics then? They are both Atlanta labels. It's a good bet... 

The same school of thought did cross my mind Guy and the question has been asked but currently all the living protagonists in this story don't seem to know, either way. So currently the jury remains out for now. :thumbsup:

Dave

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul
23 hours ago, chalky said:

The lead singer of Emory & the Dynamics (Emory) left and was replaced, hence the change off name to The Four Dynamics.

Ok mate, every day's a school day I guess. :thumbsup:

Great article

Social source share

Great article. Another piece of the Northern Soul puzzle falls into place!!

MVP'S arranged and conducted by the great Horace Ott, also deserves a mention!

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Great stuff. Love reading articles like this. Well done to all concerned.

Great stuff. Love reading articles like this. Well done to all concerned.

Social source share

On 09/07/2016 at 19:33, solidsoul said:

I did ask Horace about this session  ...... just another day at work for him ... reflects the Johnny Pate stories ... so he didn't know who they were but he did recall that it was a really good song

Andy  

On 09/07/2016 at 19:33, solidsoul said:

I did ask Horace about this session  ...... just another day at work for him ... reflects the Johnny Pate stories ... so he didn't know who they were but he did recall that it was a really good song

Andy  

Social source share

Just a snippet about Horace Ott, I was lucky enough to speak to Marva Josie some years back, she remembers Horace was really really late for the recording of 'Don't' I mean well over 2 hours or so late, maybe that added to the overall final cut!! 

anyhow back to "Turning my Heartbeat up"...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Very good article Chalky which I have just found researching Emory & The Dynamics.

This snippet may be of interest.  Found a comment on a YT posting for 'Let's Take a Look At Your Life' from 2014 (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJs_79lSE8).  from someone 'claiming' (as you can never be sure?) to be the one of the members (William Harris) daughter.  There is also a photo of them scanned from the Grapevine William Bell - Atlanta Soul CD

"This is my father William Harris singing on the second verse, such a shame that the credit for the talent on this record is not given to him and the other only other living original group member Emory Harris , who is singing lead on this song. I have seen other get rich off their hard work and talent."

So from that I deduce that Emory (Harris) is probably not the Emory Cloud (unless of course at some point he changed his name?). I am also guessing that William & Emory were brothers and (in 2014 at least) they are both still around.

Have to say though there does seem to be a 'similarity' if Emory Harris is 2nd from left???

soul Emory & The Dynamics200

Also just found this photo (may have been the one Chalky previously posted above) but link is now dead.

soul emory dynamics 1960s press photo_1_562ef86fa0436573932a4628dd34c0d9

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

According to John Ridley, our greatest living writer on Soul Music, Emory & the Dynamics were from Albany, Georgia, worked at a club called The Royal Peacock and were managed by by civil rights campaigner Jess Williams. 

A little research via the internet has revealed Emory & The Dynamics to be led (as soulstrutter suggests) by Emory Harris. He was a member of the cultural significant The Freedom Singers who were chronicled by Alan Lomax in the early 60s on an LP called 'Freedom In The Air, Albany , Georgia' (on You Tube). There is a Wikipedia entry for them. They began as a movement at Albany State College. Emory Harris sings that rousing anthem 'We'll never turn back'.

Emory & The Dynamics were present and performed at the famous 1967 Southern Christian Leadership Conference where Bernice Reagon and Sydney Poiter addressed a large crowd . They are described as SCLC 'Freedom Singers', suggesting that they were a political   singing group. The members of the group are recorded on another site and the Harris family are prominent. One of the leaders of the Albany Civil Rights Movement is Rutha Harris, who is Emory's sister.

Emory Harris cut a few secular records with the Dynamics (two?) but returned to Civil Rights campaigning. Here he is with his sister Rutha in 2014 singing the moving anthem mentioned above.

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Emory Cloud was an older singer who had first recorded in 1957 with the Atlanta based The Debonaires. According to a doo-wop website. He co-wrote their reasonably successful 'Darling' on Herald.  Bill Lowery  produced the Debonaires, or Five Debonaires as they were called originally on "Whispering Blues / Darling" (Herald 509). The group included: Emory Cloud, Arthur Simon and Milton Boykin, while Wesley J. Jackson arranged and provided guitar backing.

Donn Clendenon,  the manager of the MVPs owned clubs in Atlanta but was at the height of a stellar career as Most Valuable Player for the New York Mets. Now I know what MVPs stood for!

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!