JM Youtube site terminated?

I've just looked at the JM Youtube site and the message says: -

"John Manship has been terminated (!!) because we've received multiple third party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted"

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or if it's happened with other users.

I think it's a shame that this has happened. I enjoyed most of what was posted. Is there any more info on this?

I'm not on facebook so if it's been covered there I wouldn't see it.

Cheers

Kev Bod

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

19 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

I can't see what the JM channel was doing that was so different and caused  more copyright infringement to what loads of others do when posting records.

Very strange. 

As Richard said - someone with an axe to grind - plenty of em out there. Shame.

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Paul Royle said:

gonna pop most of it back up there, but obviously no copyright stuff.   

any new vids of the auction items can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5A-L8Qa_uTJ03pP4Jp2Lg/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0

Hi Paul,

Thanks for all the uploads in the past and also for starting to reinstate some. I've subscribed to your channel.:thumbsup:

What sort of things are included in the "copyright stuff"?

No sure if you can say, but was the problem a particular music company/companies trying to protect their product?

Cheers

Kev Bod

Social source share

3 hours ago, bo diddley said:

I can't see what the JM channel was doing that was so different and caused  more copyright infringement to what loads of others do when posting records.

Very strange. 

Absolutely right. Should delete 80% of You Tube content on that basis, surely?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Youtube seems to work by copyright infringement legalities ie some companies will allow the infringement, with the proviso that an advert is attached to your video. The account can have multiple strikes this way, but can still be active as it has permission to use the music. Larger corporations like Universal etc, usually impose an immediate cease and desist, with a request to move the video. If the user has 3 or more of these strikes, then Youtube can terminate your account. The way around that, is to just remove the 'offending' video.....but you don't see the notification unless you log onto the 'Video manager' page. JM loaded a grip of great music, which sadly looks like needed more management to sit within the Youtube boundaries.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Greg Belson said:

Youtube seems to work by copyright infringement legalities ie some companies will allow the infringement, with the proviso that an advert is attached to your video. The account can have multiple strikes this way, but can still be active as it has permission to use the music. Larger corporations like Universal etc, usually impose an immediate cease and desist, with a request to move the video. If the user has 3 or more of these strikes, then Youtube can terminate your account. The way around that, is to just remove the 'offending' video.....but you don't see the notification unless you log onto the 'Video manager' page. JM loaded a grip of great music, which sadly looks like needed more management to sit within the Youtube boundaries.

Thanks for that Greg. You would have thought that Youtube would have accompanied the strikes/notifications with an email advising the "Offender" of the options.

Hopefully, Paul can reload all the other, more obscure items and the "copyright stuff", such as Motown (I assume) etc, will still be on Youtube via other channels.

Social source share

4 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Maybe one of the stock disclaimers would work, copy and paste from someone else that appears to get away with it and see what happens.

Those disclaimers are not worth the paper (or web page) they are written on.  They don't absolve you one bit. At the end of the day still sharing copyrighted material.  Those that get away with it are probably not very popular and/or not been spotted by the likes of universal etc.

I had one strike when I posted Tony Basil performing in the buff. Her lawyers were on the case in no time.  I got all my strike notices etc and follow ups (including a test) via email.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Those disclaimers are not worth the paper (or web page) they are written on.  They don't absolve you one bit. At the end of the day still sharing copyrighted material.  Those that get away with it are probably not very popular and/or not been spotted by the likes of universal etc.

I had one strike when I posted Tony Basil performing in the buff. Her lawyers were on the case in no time.  I got all my strike notices etc and follow ups (including a test) via email.

Ive shared that vid as well on here and elsewhere.Could be a close shave if i don't get an email,,,lol.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Ridiculous. Just about all John's tunes were on independent labels and minor ones at that. No one lost out financially with his selection being aired - indeed the opposite as the clips advertised product that stimulated the eBay market. YouTube was getting an improved reputation as just about any tune worth hearing was on it- now that is not the case and we are worse off for it. This could be just another biproduct of an ailing music business that has killed itself off and forces the legal-sharks to grab whatever they can. Chinese style Internet censorship hits Britain. Sad day for all concerned.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Greg Belsons post is spot on.  Basically if you are going to have a lot of content on your channel then you MUST keep an eye on the notifications because ultimately any strikes will eventually add up leading to your channel being pulled.  I don't have a large number of uploads on my channel but have still had to delete no end of videos over the years due to copyright.  Over the years that I've been using youtube I've lost count of the number of channels which have been lost for reasons of copyright.  At one point Orchard Music were laying claim to everything in sight and I was getting an email every week regarding one or another of my videos.  This eventually stopped but I guess if it isn't Orchard somebody similar will fill the void.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, tiberius said:

Greg Belsons post is spot on.  Basically if you are going to have a lot of content on your channel then you MUST keep an eye on the notifications because ultimately any strikes will eventually add up leading to your channel being pulled.  I don't have a large number of uploads on my channel but have still had to delete no end of videos over the years due to copyright.  Over the years that I've been using youtube I've lost count of the number of channels which have been lost for reasons of copyright.  At one point Orchard Music were laying claim to everything in sight and I was getting an email every week regarding one or another of my videos.  This eventually stopped but I guess if it isn't Orchard somebody similar will fill the void.

Hi Tibus...well that's what your youtube channel is called/was? I've had channels closed on there due to copyrights and I've had that test Chalky is talking about but not all copyrights give you a strike or want you to take them down just sometimes they allow them if adverts are shown before your video is played? however other companies complain to youtube and your video is taken down followed by a strike...3 and it's terminated!! 

Social source share

22 hours ago, bonhsoulie said:

Y did Toni Basil perfom in the buff? And was it oh Mickey?. Im guessing its because he used it to sell. Either that or its the same twunt who got me taken off Facebook for me nickname.

Yes it was Toni Basil not completely buff,dancing to Breakaway, in b&w.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

On 7/4/2016 at 17:06, Peter99 said:

As Richard said - someone with an axe to grind - plenty of em out there. Shame.

There are a lot of rumours flying round at the moment, but the true reason will be  revealed I have no doubt about that' my advice to everyone is Dont say anything other than it is down, I know at one time John was in a partnership buying and selling records I don't know if that as had a bearing on it but as I say rumours all  rumours at this moment, enjoy your       Weekend people and stay safe 

Edited by mike
double quote tidied up
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Brian1955 said:

There are a lot of rumours flying round at the moment, but the true reason will be  revealed I have no doubt about that' my advice to everyone is Dont say anything other than it is down, I know at one time John was in a partnership buying and selling records I don't know if that as had a bearing on it but as I say rumours all  rumours at this moment, enjoy your       Weekend people and stay safe 

Well if what you are alluding to is correct then it's as has been said - someone with an axe to grind.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Brian1955 said:

Nothing to be gained by spreading rumours. Fine to speculate on the root cause but YouTube will not confirm anything. On a legal point, copyright in the US expires after 95 years but only if it was registered within 5 years - if not, the music is in the public domain. I would imagine that some of the tunes displayed were never copyrighted in the first place so they should not have been removed. Presumably there is a list of US music actually registered prior to 1978 when copyright law was amended - I wonder if YouTube consulted this list and cross checked before censorship? Probably not I guess. As virtually none (if any at all) of the tunes in question were copyright owned by major music corporations operating today, it is a bizarre case. One therefore has to consider the probability that it was someone bearing a personal grudge against John. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 7/5/2016 at 09:29, Greg Belson said:

Good tip Greg - i knew about the strike outs but not to check the Video Manager bit...I've just checked and I have about 70 with copyright contents (the owners have allowed with adverts) and about 10 Blocked in certain countries. I have had one taken down by Cassietta George (rather her estate) some years ago and that I believe is because they are a moo-bags.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think its an axe to grind I think its You Tube having a cull. Ive tried to play loads of Non-soul stuff that's got less than 1000 views /very niche and these have been culled. really strange in some cases where one of the tracks of an album hasn't been touched but the rest have been culled with the usual message as above!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 28/07/2016 at 19:51, Ernie Andrews said:

I don't think its an axe to grind I think its You Tube having a cull. Ive tried to play loads of Non-soul stuff that's got less than 1000 views /very niche and these have been culled. really strange in some cases where one of the tracks of an album hasn't been touched but the rest have been culled with the usual message as above!

i agree with steve.... youtube having a cull at that time.... i had slapped wrists thru my channel the same day as johns was removed..and theres tons more went  up in johns channel rather than little old me

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

YT has music recognition software which it why it's pointless trying to put in cryptic combinations of the video titles to try to avoid detection.  That doesn't mean that they take down everyone's sometimes that just block the video, but if a YT account holder to uploading a large amount of recognised copyright material I would imagine that's why some accounts get closed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!