The Indigos - Tired Of Crying Over You - Date

I'm doing some research at the moment and I came across the following record listed in Joel Whitburns RnB Chart Book:-

12/03/1966 No.47  The Indigos - Tired Of Crying Over You - Date 1531

Does anyone know this record or ever seen one? I can't find any trace of it anywhere nor does the catalogue number make sense in the Date discography. 

I doesn't appear to exist, yet it's there in black and white. Does anyone know anything about such a record?

Ian D :)

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've seen Date #1531 listed as Strangers In Town- "Inside Out"/ "Society".  The Sweet Things' "I'm In A World Of Trouble" is Date #1522 so

the number sequence is right where it should be.

There's a copy of the Strangers In Town 45 on e-bay- it's described as a "Psych" 45.

Edited by the yank
Social source share

1 hour ago, the yank said:

On the Soulful Kinda Music web site, Date #1631 is missing so maybe there's a typo in Whitburn's book. Date #1631 would be

from 1968- not sure where  the 12/03/66 and the #47 comes in. 

12/03/66 and the #47 are the date and the chart position and this is the official Billboard chart. Apparently it spent 2 weeks on the chart. It's much more than a typo really as neither the group or a verified copy of the record exist. I've not really caught many typos in that book, if any, so this is a real weird one. How does one just invent a record like that? Weird.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Billboard's 10 Dec 66 R&B 45's chart .............

... 8 x 45's on chart for 2nd week including "Let's Fall In Love" by Peaches & Herbs (Date #1523) but no 45 by Indigos.

4 new entries including Drifters "Baby What I Mean" + Sam & Dave, Blobby Bland & Otis R 45's.

The info given in Joel Whitburn's book totally false ( I have what appears to be the 1996 edition of the book & the info is in that too).

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hello to all,

I am happy to be a new member of the group!

I just wanted you to know that today I sent a query to Joel Whitburn's Record Research, regarding this rather extraordinary (apparently) missing record. I will let you all if and when I get a response! Following is what I wrote:

Hello... I am contacting you regarding an entry in your Top Black/R&B Singles book. I have the 1996 edition. There is an entry for a group called The Indigos on page 207. There is a song listed as "Tired of Crying Over You" that was supposedly on the chart for 2 weeks, with a debut date of December 3, 1966. The catalog # is Date 1531. Since my copy of the book include a list of revisions, I know that mistakes are sometimes made in your listings. I am questioning whether this is a real record. When I checked on 45cat, there is a Date 1531, but it is a completely different listing. The record is not found on either You Tube or Spotify, and a collector from the UK posted in 2016 that he has never come across a verified copy or heard the tune. Is this listing a red herring, to keep people from copying your work? Please advise... I am trying to create playlists of ALL of my favorite music, and if this record really exists and really charted, I would love to hear it. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, with much respect!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!