Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Okeh's profile photo

Sheffield Samantha's Playlists

Northern Soul Yesterdays Okeh

 
Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve L said:

When did samanthas finish? It was done by the time i started going to nighters in early 78

Old Father Time

:wicked:

Ah reet Steve.

:D

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Martin

I thought Eddie was a 1980 release but just checked and it's 1977. Larry Houston was Richards Top Cat cover up and a first at Wigan. What year did Samantha's finish? I never went - my all niter career began in 1979! My favourite all niter was Clifton Hall. I've been on your site a few times - I assume you're that Martin?

Peter

Niters finished early 1976 Peter. There were all dayers after that though. 

LH was Richards Top Cat c/u much later. Eddie Holnan later as well. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Eddie Holman big Ritz record as well

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, SteveM said:

Niters finished early 1976 Peter. There were all dayers after that though. 

LH was Richards Top Cat c/u much later. Eddie Holnan later as well. 

Cheers Steve. Was certain about Larry and if the niters finished in 77 then Eddie wasn't played there either. I had Richard or Sam down for playing Eddie H first but could well be wrong.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Cheers Steve. Was certain about Larry and if the niters finished in 77 then Eddie wasn't played there either. I had Richard or Sam down for playing Eddie H first but could well be wrong.

 

Wouldn't have been Sam at that time. As I said a Ritz record so could be IL or Neil Rushton maybe? 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, SteveM said:

Wouldn't have been Sam at that time. As I said a Ritz record so could be IL or Neil Rushton maybe? 

memory says I heard it first time via Richard Searling at the Ritz the 12 inch version and then straight afterwards via this format at wigan and similar

the 12 was the only format at the time as i recall? it was available a bit later via the lp - but a different/lesser version and then the even lesser 45 version was released I 'd say a fair bit later... after the main plays had started to fade 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, mike said:

memory says I heard it first time via Richard Searling at the Ritz the 12 inch version and then straight afterwards via this format at wigan and similar

the 12 was the only format at the time as i recall? it was available a bit later via the lp - but a different/lesser version and then the even lesser 45 version was released I 'd say a fair bit later... after the main plays had started to fade 

You may be right about it being RS Mike but as I said a deffo Ritz play and as you say on a 12" originally. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 22 July 2016 at 07:46, Tezza said:

 

Just wondered Tezza,I sold him his copy !

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I remember buying my first "big" original (mid 70's) at Samanthas, Too Late, Larry Williams/Johnny Watson, however as I recall the playlist that comes to mind on one of the several occasions I attended, included the likes of Roger Collins-Sexy sugar plum, and a pretty" upfront " set, which I might add was not averse to, albeit can't recall the DJ?  We used to get the train from South Wales to Sheffield on the Friday, and call into Reddingtons records in Birmingham on the way home the next day....Love those times with a passion........  

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Sams started as a Sunday Soul night. DJ'S had no current sounds so the only way we could hear them was to lend records for them to play. This was just before Wigan opened. Once Wigan started JV then started turning up there and buying sounds. It was about them the All Nighters Started, Kegsy is right there was no difference between what was being played anywhere else at that time.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Yes, I also went to quite a few of the Sunday nights there, that was before Wigan starting for sure. I can't think how long before though...

I seem to recall going mid week at some point as well?

I first went there around 1971 when it was called The Heartbeat. :wink:

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

so..in reply to the original post question..so far a pretty eclectic playlist..what was definitely a JV exclusive and a Sam's regular spin was the Jack 23/Shoop de hoop garage instrumental c/u as the Gladiators 'that Miami sound', i was a regular at Sams between 74-77 and from memory popular spins were Vibrations 'cause', Gil scott 'bottle', Philip Mitchell 'free for all', love factory, and from two allniter tapes,  'Desiree' the charts, 'together forever' Pat Powdrill, 'Ann D Andrea' 'don't stop lookin (inst)..a very popular club that played most of the current big sounds and some exclusives/first spins...it would be much harder to name tunes that weren't played there! 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Can remember, just, around 10 of us in the back of one of these trying to get over Snake Pass, winter 73/74. Leather Soles are not conducive to pushing vans uphill on icy roads..... We eventually got there :Di512780.jpg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

PIAS.........Prince George- Wrong Crowd......JJ Callier - Pusher Man.......and George Benson - On Broadway..........Sams memories for me 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
45 minutes ago, back street blue said:

PIAS.........Prince George- Wrong Crowd......JJ Callier - Pusher Man.......and George Benson - On Broadway..........Sams memories for me 

George Benson wasn't released until 1978 after the all nighters had ended. It was a big play at Clifton Hall though. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
Just now, SteveM said:

George Benson wasn't released until 1978 after the all nighters had ended. It was a big play at Clifton Hall though. 

........heard it at the last nighter I attended there with Dougy Ling, Mick Malone, and Bry Millard........no doubt in my mind. Go figure? 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, back street blue said:

........heard it at the last nighter I attended there with Dougy Ling, Mick Malone, and Bry Millard........no doubt in my mind. Go figure? 

The last all nighter John Vincent ran at the time was 1976. It was some years before a licence could be obtained to run another one. Some time early mid eighties which would be the right timeline for OB. I thought the thread was about the original all nighters hence the comment. 

Just looked and PIAS was a 77 release again a re activation early eighties along with Pusherman which again ties in. 

Prince George was def played around 1975. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I first went in late '73 I think and remember taking my Girl Friend ( later Wife ) who I met at end of September '77 so deffo til at least then. Went to last one but never been one for remembering dates, who played what first etc. Never thought back then we would still be talking about it now !!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tezza said:

I first went in late '73 I think and remember taking my Girl Friend ( later Wife ) who I met at end of September '77 so deffo til at least then. Went to last one but never been one for remembering dates, who played what first etc. Never thought back then we would still be talking about it now !!

The original all nighters definitely ceased 76 but Sunday all dayers replaced them and lasted until around 1978. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, SteveM said:

The original all nighters definitely ceased 76 but Sunday all dayers replaced them and lasted until around 1978. 

not gonna argue Steve.........only reference to time I can make is that we picked Douglas up from his Mum & Dad's, so it was before he moved out......and he had a couple of handfulls of G&C's......which were like rocking horse shit by then......so it was late 70's........but I deffo heard OB and remember thinking WTF as Douggy did his Jazzfunk strut to it!

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, SteveM said:

The original all nighters definitely ceased 76 but Sunday all dayers replaced them and lasted until around 1978. 

There must have been some Nighters '78 ish as we went when she was Pregnant. I remember buying her some food, 3 times cause she couldn't keep it down. That may be because it was shite rather than her condition !

Did someone else try to carry it on when JV had left or were they one offs ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
34 minutes ago, Tezza said:

There must have been some Nighters '78 ish as we went when she was Pregnant. I remember buying her some food, 3 times cause she couldn't keep it down. That may be because it was shite rather than her condition !

Did someone else try to carry it on when JV had left or were they one offs ?

I'm sure it was a licensing problem that caused the original nights to be stopped. Can't be absolutely sure  about  a nighter in 78 so you could be right but I thought it was a good few years before the authorities relented. JV was then a fixture at St Ives which itself ceased1977/78. I'll ask himnext time I see him. 

My originalcomment was based on Johns all nighters though, which did finish in 1976. The next definite ones I remember was earlyveighties when CH was running. Which fits in, as far as I remember would fit in with plays of PIAS and GB. All a long time ago though :) 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

funky train..bill blacks combo...

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I seem to remember Supership by GB was a big Sam's sound

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, davemac3 said:

I seem to remember Supership by GB was a big Sam's sound

 

19 minutes ago, davemac3 said:

I seem to remember Supership by GB was a big Sam's sound

1975. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Late 77 onwards Terry Sampson was running the KGB all nighters in Sheffield. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I don't think people in general realise that as you get to our age your memories aren't necessarily what you think they are. They can become distorted and change over the years and although you think you can remember something accurately, you could easily be wrong.

Just thought I'd throw that in,,,,,,,:huh:

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
Quote

 

frankie crocker  was a vincent spin at sams..

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

last hour in the Hallam Suite was a real eclectic mix...I remember Doris Duke - Congratulations Baby being played

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 7/14/2016 at 14:18, KevH said:

How about Raw Soul and French Fries.

Raw Soul was probably a Cleethorpes first play (Poke or Rick I think). And yes, I did discover the French Fries - found it in Paul Schofield's collection and realized it was Northern. But I always thought of it as being a sort of novelty record at the time. 20 years later I found it was Sly's backing band rather than a French novelty record!

Ian D :)

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 8/19/2016 at 15:59, fuzzj said:

frankie crocker  was a vincent spin at sams..

It was a Frank spin at Sams. :)

Ian D :)

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

thanks ian correct ...

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Northern Soul Yesterdays - Source Forum

Northern soul days gone forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.