Any New Books / Cd's Etc?

Guest ShaneH

anyone picked any decent soul books / cd's recently?

there must be have been one or two goldmine releases. anything to shout about?

:thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:thumbsup:

Shane

Bit out of left field but I've been reading David Carson's - 'Grit, Noise and Revolution: The Birth of Detroit Rock n Roll.' The first four chapters are great on the cross-over been rock and soul in Detroit in the '60s. Either that or I'm an indie-rock fan that's wandered into the wrong forum.

Social source share

laugh.gif

Shane

Peter Guralnick's 'Dream Boogie, The Triumph of Sam Cooke' landed on the doormat this week.

There's a raft of good CD's released recently - Kent's 'Walter Jackson' CD has some quality unissued stuff on it :thumbsup: ; the Spirit of Philadelphia Vol.2 is a winner also. And 'This is Soul 2006' is essential. There's load of stuff out there. As for Goldmine - check out a few bargain bins I suppose :wicked:

Social source share

laugh.gif

Shane

I think Goldmine have 'another' Compilation CD out!.......... its has the same tracks as all the others but the 'Niteowl' label now has a Digitally remastered Beak. :thumbsup:

For a decent non-soul read, and a little bit of social history I have just read a book called 'Casuals' (Phil Thornton), its about the football factories of the 70s/80s and thier fashion culture's........ interesting read! :wicked:

Social source share

Peter Guralnick's 'Dream Boogie, The Triumph of Sam Cooke' landed on the doormat this week.

There's a raft of good CD's released recently - Kent's 'Walter Jackson' CD has some quality unissued stuff on it :thumbsup: ;

Agree on the Sam Cooke book, fantastic read,

I just got yesterday

The Real Tammi Terrell, My Sister Tommie - Ludie Montgomery/Vickie Wright, not started it yet but great pictures.

Also recently read Bobby Womack - Midnight Mover, by Bobby Womack, not very well written to be honest but still fascinating for me as he is a big hero.

Agree also on the WJ cd, great, sometimes his later material gets a bit sugary for me but the unnissued stuff on this is just magical.

Just recently got the Kent CD Does Anybody Know I Am Here - Instalment 2 of Vietnam Songs. maybe not as good as Volume 1 for me (although should point out that was one of my favorite collections for some years) but still a great CD, not essentially Northern but a brilliant collection of music from that period,

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Looks really interesting Mike, are the essays evenly spread through the years or does the book focus more on one period than other?

Thanks

Jock

Thanks for that Jim, I had that watched before and forgot about so just snapped one up.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert