'Spot-light On' Roger Banks

Len

Hi folks,

Welcome to the third ‘Spot-light On’.

Just a very brief explanation as to why I closed the last one - It was because a small percentage of the thread touched upon Keith Minshulls' personal life which isn’t right, so it was best to do so.

I spoke to Keith soon after and he was really nice about it - I was relieved to hear him acknowledge that he did recognize the positives of this series, and the good intention behind it.

Thanks Keith for your understanding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is written about someone may not be too big a deal to the person writing it (especially if only a small part of an otherwise complimentary post), but it may well be a big deal to the person it is about - When this happens, that can become the only part that person focuses on (Which is understandable)

So with this in mind, let’s keep it soul related and truthful :wink:

Onwards we go - This next person is someone else who has been on the scene a very long time, and I’d say he is one of the nicest people around….(He doesn’t know this next bit) I remember at one of my first All-nighters, I was chatting to Johnny Fingers about a record, Johnny nodded towards this person, saying……”Ask him, I’m sure he’s got one”……I was too scared to, so I scuttled off quickly (I seemed to do a lot of ‘scuttling’ when I were young) :D

Years later I got to know this person, and what a nice chap (not scary at all) :D He’s DJed for me several times over the years, and has always done a fantastic job of that, along with bringing the ‘Fun Factor’ along with him. I’d say he is one of the most diverse DJs we have (he has many ‘DJ Hats’) He also did a grand job of DJing at mine and Ninas’ Wedding :wink:

Personally, I’d like to know about his early days on the scene - Where he first DJed, and of course the usual request of stories / photos / flyers (Please note Chalky) :D / what tunes you associate him with etc.

So let’s start this third ball rolling with the man ‘Roger Banks’……Over to you folks……

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

N.B - Even after giving permission, if the person being featured is not happy with any of the posts, let me know and I will delete immediately.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Len. For my input to this just got to say Roger used to run one of the best soul nights I can remember at Chorley Town Hall in the 90,s.

When Roger and the lovely Jenny got married it happened to coincide with the Wilton Nighter.  Guess who went ?

Jenny even turned up in her wedding dress. What a night that was

When Roger first started DJ,ing he would always jump off stage and dance then try and get back behind the decks before the record ended to start the next one

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Must be enough stories to fill a book!   He seemed at one time to be at every all-nighter I went to.  Dj'ing and selling records.

Always found him approachable and friendly.  Great dj spots, pushing his own excellent taste in Northern Soul.

Social source share

I remember Roger from when he first came onto the scene - same time as myself 1976, along with a young Sean Chapman

At the time we were all living in Cleethorpes / Grimsby and it was the time of the Pier allnighters leading up to the start of the Winter Gardens

I recall him knocking on my door one night asking to borrow a jacket so he could get into a club to see Jr Walker

Social source share

roger used to play some brilliant sets around the  wilton and middleton, hideway era   and would always dedicate a couple of tunes to myself and brad ..  "the gloucester lads"...as he called us...... i.bet he can remember which ones he played for us now...........:D

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

I first remember Roger from the mid nineties at Bretby (and a few local doos around the West Midlands) I can remember once, receiving a phone call on a Sunday morning after a Bretby all nighter, asking if I'd seen one of his boxes of records. Turned out he'd just "left" a box at the venue and didn't realise until after he had left.

Wasn't a problem, we had found them at the end of the night after Roger had left, and realised they were his, and he got them back.

What was surprising, and funny, was that either the previous month, or the month after, he did the very same thing.

Roger, do you remember ?

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

I've just realized.........There's me trying to build up a 'mysterious profile' before I eventually let the cat out the bag as to whom I'm talking about right at the end of my introductory post - The clue's in the blo*dy title!!! :D

Social source share

Remember Roger being at most top venues during the 90s either as a seller or DJ .Recall very well being at a Cleethorpes Winter Gardens Bank Holiday soul night 1997.The night was slowing down badly before Mr Banks got on the Decks and pulled it round and lifted the place big style.The same night he played Gladys Knight-No One Could Love You More --Which was the first time i had ever heard it played anywhere.I was on the phone to him next day asking for a copy

Social source share

Yes have som real fab memories of The Dodger from the Cleethorpes Pier/Winter gardens Era which is when i first met him, lovely bloke, got on real well with him,

Fondist memory was a new twist on "Dancing Around Your Handbag"  He used to Dance Around his Record box complete with Flashing Fairy Lights on it, first time i saw this spectacle nearly pissed my self with laughter, great times long gone................Wonder if he sill remembers maybe he still has that famous box 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the most knowledgeable kids I know(Jen don't tell him I said that),ask him about a record & you don't just get artist,label & price like anyone normal but you get where & when  it was recorded,in which studio & how many sugars they had in their coffee.........I'd call him an anorak but anoraks don't drink bitter by the gallon like him :thumbup:

Might have the odd story to tell even going back to the 70t's but I won't bother as he'll only tell me I've got them wrong.....again :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

PS. It's hard to be nice about him as he'll think I've gone soft :wink:

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Kegsy said:

You say that about everybody who has ever just even thought about selling a few tunes :thumbsup:

Look Kegsy, I'm from Yorkshire !!!

I got a UK Arthur Conley 45 back in the 80's ... it cost me 20p and I moaned about paying that much. It's titled "Take A Step In My Direction" & by all accounts it goes for up to £100 now !!!

Still paid too much for it back in't day. 

Roger was a real pain in the b*m at Prestatyn Weekender. He used to do his radio spot & then turn every dial on the controls as far away from the normal setting as possible. It took the Pontin's sound engineers hours to get everything back sounding OK again. But coz everyone else's show sounded bad, he'd have a go at them all, calling them amateurs !!

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great character. Dancing DJ. Champions obscure sounds. Fair dealer selling cheap records, paying generous sums for sales stock. Good taste in Northern and RnB. Wacky sense of humour. Always joking around. Provided lots of good memories at the 100 Club, Cleethorpes and other London venues. One of the best lads on the circuit.

Social source share

Roger and Hoss in a lift at a nighter somewhere in Manchester ( cant remember where ) Doors open on the floor where the record bar was. Roger and Hoss on their knees pretending to be having sex doggy style . The look on their faces was priceless as they supposedly had been caught. The look on the faces of lots of punters in the record bar was even better. You had to be there

Steve

Social source share

First memory of Roger was about '87 at nighter organised by Londons chosen mass just off the Strand. He had so many records for sale that night ( boxes of Motown, don't think I'd ever seen so much upto that point). 

Same at Allanton shortly after, Monitors "Time is passing by" Tobi Lark ×2 all for about 30 notes;)

TAC weekenders at Yarmouth 1990/91.  He put me onto so many great records on the site radio at that time, as well as deliberately ffing up the " jingles" with great comedic effect;) along with Bickers.

Being the first person I heard play Betty Everett " You're falling in love" to a packed Cleethorpes weekender dance floor in 95. Still a wonderful record.

Never averse to playing album tracks...a rare breed.

Proper person, proper dj

Edited by Jim Elliott
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I first met Roger in the days when he ran a Soul Nite at Stalybridge Celtic Football Ground... (not sure of the year '80ish).  

Great lad used to do excellent tapes with, as mentioned earlier quite a number of LP tracks on them, which I too have a penchant for.  The tunes he was playing at the time were The Metros - Since I found..., John Bowie - You're Gonna Miss, Tempests - Someday... and also I think Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good. .. as he was a big fan of 70's tunes too.  This eclectic taste a few years later imho pushed through a lot of the soul/R&B stuff that no one else played or was trying to sell to Northern/Rare Soul audience.

Record sales very reasonable ... stuff I didn't buy off him over the first handful of years... Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back £7...  Brooks Brothers - Lookin For A Woman £30.  Ah well can't always be right anticipating the scenes future biggies!!!!  

He was also good enough to give me numerous lifts to the 'Top Of The World' and various other allnighters at that time, as I was one of those no car/non-driver types being 18ish...  Many good times...  he never managed to convert me into being a Johnny Hunnicut fan though... no matter how strange his dancing was... 

I dopn't see him anymore really as I rarely go to All-Niters or travel... but whenever I do its always great to catch up and have a chat  :thumbup:

Social source share

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 09:14, Jim Elliott said:

First memory of Roger was about '87 at nighter organised by Londons chosen mass just off the Strand. He had so many records for sale that night ( boxes of Motown, don't think I'd ever seen so much upto that point). 

Same at Allanton shortly after, Monitors "Time is passing by" Tobi Lark ×2 all for about 30 notes;)

TAC weekenders at Yarmouth 1990/91.  He put me onto so many great records on the site radio at that time, as well as deliberately ffing up the " jingles" with great comedic effect;) along with Bickers.

Being the first person I heard play Betty Everett " You're falling in love" to a packed Cleethorpes weekender dance floor in 95. Still a wonderful record.

Never averse to playing album tracks...a rare breed.

Proper person, proper dj

that would have been my first all nighter then, Rodger is a top bloke just typical of the many characters and genuine soul folk that made up the scene back then.   

Social source share

I was in the record bar at The Mars Bar All-nighter (some time back) All of a sudden, Roger leapt from behind his record stall, did a load of acrobatics, brushed himself down, then re-took his place behind his record stall as if nothing had happened.

I didn't think 'record bar people' were allowed to dance :D

Social source share

Just as I queued up my second record to round off a night at The Embankment Club, Roger and Adam came 'bounding up', kicked me off the decks and took over - They did ok actually :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember being at Bretby late 90's and Roger was on about 3 in the morning and i remember thinking to myself im gonna try and dance to the whole of Rogers set for the whole hour...he nearly killed me with his then 100mph RnB style but i managed it. Great DJ....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, daz mc said:

Remember being at Bretby late 90's and Roger was on about 3 in the morning and i remember thinking to myself im gonna try and dance to the whole of Rogers set for the whole hour...he nearly killed me with his then 100mph RnB style but i managed it. Great DJ....

Funny you should say that - It’s often that I ‘hark back’ talking to Nina (Whilst she’s trying to concentrate on ‘Gogglebox’) about those days when I (and all of us) used to say such things as….”So and so’s on, I’ll see you in a bit”…….knowing I would be dancing to that DJs’ whole set (journey) Roger was one of those DJs - Unless he decided to go down his R‘n’B route, in which case I would soon return (spitting feathers) ((Bless him))

Ahem, slight contrast to your like of the R'n'B route that :wink:

P.s - ...."Uh uh, ain't that just like a woman? Do Do Do Do Do".........:(:glare::pirate: 

Social source share

Great record !  Remember being in caravan at cleethorpes weekender, Colin, ady and Derek Allen (rip) are playing some records and we're tip toeing around so tunes don't jump, when in bursts roger, handclap and backdrops landing in front of deck and the bloody record plays through perfectly, laugh I nearly spilt my pint (nearly). Cheers

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One lovely afternoon I was standing outside Buckingham Palace (of all places) with my young family in tow, and my phone went, it was Roger. I thought what the devil does he want? I answered, he was crying with laughter, after he composed himself, he explained that he had not only cracked up at my latest flyer, but also at the fact that people were questioning him as to why he was giving the said flyer out!

This particular flyer had the wording......"R 'n' B stinks"......super imposed on a badge worn by the chosen artist - Roger, thanks for having a sense of humor! :D

P.s - After having that flyer given back to me several times, sometimes in an aggressive manor (Slammed in to my chest).........I put the very next flyer out with....."R'n'B still stinks"......super imposed on a badge worn by the chosen artist - It was just a joke (like on 'Top Gear') :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One more from me (My brain's gone all 'Roger') :D

Another great tune I associate Roger with is this - He's the only DJ I've heard / noticed play it, and he made it sound even better by doing his 'Fist Dance' behind the decks :wink:

Beautiful.....

'Faye Crawford - What Have I Done Wrong'

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

One more from me (My brain's gone all 'Roger') :D

Another great tune I associate Roger with is this - He's the only DJ I've heard / noticed play it, and he made it sound even better by doing his 'Fist Dance' behind the decks :wink:

Beautiful.....

'Faye Crawford - What Have I Done Wrong'

June Edwards cover up, played by Guy H often at Stafford

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, LEN said:

I was in the record bar at The Mars Bar All-nighter (some time back) All of a sudden, Roger leapt from behind his record stall, did a load of acrobatics, brushed himself down, then re-took his place behind his record stall as if nothing had happened.

I didn't think 'record bar people' were allowed to dance :D

Remember Tim Brown coming to The Wilton & as soon as he walked in Roger & Hoss rugby talked him to the floor,both just got up & walked off leaving TB floundering on the floor wondering what the fcuk had happened.........I think that Hoss kid is a bad influence on Roger :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

His old Douglas Banks C/U

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Roger, great man, great DJ, record dealer, collector and more.

A man with great foresight that has put many people on to tomorrow’s biggies.

I can remember him playing Harvey- Any way you wanta at Bradford all-nighters turning it in to a overnight monster, also purchasing many a great 45 from Roger.  It’s always worth having a delve through his boxes, just a couple of £8 records that stick in my mind I bought from Roger, Dottie and Millie – Talkin’ about my baby – Topper and Constellations – I didn’t know how to – Gemini.

A man with great enthusiasm who in his DJ sets over the years included the likes of –

Kinnettes – Instrumental

E Williams – Trade my soul to the devil – Jaadee

Wallie Hawkins and Rose MCcoy - Switch around

Royal Robins – Something about you that sends me – Tru GloTown

Hesitations – That’s what love is – Soul Superman LP

Bobby Hutton – Come see what’s left of me - Phillips

Plus many many more

I remember Roger double deckin’ with Mark Bicknell at the 100 Club in the 90’s with flashing road hazard lights and Roger wearing a hard hat and fluorescent jacket lol.  Truly great tunes played in that set.

Social source share

Guest craig brelsford

Used to argue we him over who was carting Robs vinyl around for him. He had been Djing himself with his original vinyl and again for a Aeolian. I think at the time he had abulia and really really could not figure it out why he had not found a bachelorette suppose he was living a life of idle dalliances and sometimes be like a folderol . Ramshackle come to mind, playing max bygraves records at the time we bit of Jimmy young threw in for good measure at one point he was his favourite DJ ,any way seen him couple week ago first time in ages he explained how he was doing this thing called RnB cause they where his initials and surprisingly happy to tell me by the end of year he would be cutting shapes we out scissors 
 Loves his techno swing does R B all a proper geezer and looking forward to see him bound around cutting shapes in the new year from your mythomaniac mateIMG_0565.MP4

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!