'Spot-light On' Roger Banks

Len

Guest Mr messyhead

have known roger for years and have also often been shanghaied e.g. at one soul nite in Penrith on Saturday after being to Bury or Congleton on the Friday, we were helping him carry boxes back to his car. Now Roger Had boxes in each hand and under his arms and I heard him shout behind "Doug I think I feel a backdrop coming  on " and seconds later hear an almighty crash. I turned around and there was Roger on his back on the floor but still clinging onto the boxes with his legs up by his neck. He looked up and then said sheepishly "Doug,  Doug I think I've broken both me legs"

Roger has always been helpful for info, have had great discounts and many, many, stories, barking but good guy. Always played Brenton Wood Across the Bridges for "The Scottish Lads"

Social source share

Worked with roger at nearly all the venues ive been involved with,sheridans  steam middleton maxims prestatyn etc.Bleedin nut case great dj and an even better bloke.Nearly gave me a heart attack hidein in my wardrobe one mon mornin,after a fairly heavy wkender at prestatyn.Been a pleasure to know and work with him. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of my favourite DJ's since first seeing him Thur nights at Hyde Botanical c. 1990, then regularly at Droylseden, Bradford Queens Hall, Wilton, Bretby, etc, through the 90's.

Particularly loved his mid-late 90's sets including gems like Spellbinders 'Baby I miss you', the brilliant Rhetta Hughes 'Cry myself to sleep', Sugar & Spices 'Have faith in me', Patience Valentine 'If you don't come', Carl Underwood 'Ain't you lying', April, May & June 'He went away', Richard Berry 'Have love will travel', Nappy Brown 'Coalminer', Marie Knight 'To be loved by you', Volumes 'Ain't gonna give you up', Helen Troy 'I think I love you', plus of course Kinettes, E. Williams, etc. Often by some distance the best spot of the night IMO, quality through and through.

Some other top RB spins I don't think anyone else has mentioned - Miracles 'If your mother only knew, Douglas Banks 'Ain't that just like a woman', Gay Jamison 'Stay another day', Timi Yuro 'Ain't gonna cry no more', Stevie Wonder 'Contract on love', Paul Sindab 'I was a fool' (loved it at Hyde), The Artistics 'This heart of mine', Barbara Lewis 'I remember the feeling' and possibly best of all for me Frankie & Johnny 'I'll hold you' at Clegg Sunday nights.

Had many great times listening and dancing to Roger tunes. Don't go out as regularly now but always look forward to seeing him on the decks when I get chance :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!