Excello 'reissues' / boots

Have a question or two on these floating around. NOT just the Charles Sheffield but the whole late 50s swamp blues stuff to mid 60s soul Lightnin Slim, Slim Harpo, Roscoe Shelton, Marion James etc. Can anybody throw any light on where these originated from (Germany maybe) and any definitive way to distinguish, other than just newness. Some are pretty obvious, and some use the 'wrong' label design of the two I think but this isn't common and not consistent. Any dead wax clues, subtle block colour differences etc. ? You can almost smell a mucky Excello original I know !

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Ive seen these Excello 45's you mention Mark, Ebay is awash with them... like to find out more, loads of Imperial done as well, the Moave 5ts design, and Modern,,

same group of labels, the Abet certainly re put out, or did 2nd issues in the 7ts, I bought a copy of Percy Wiggins - That's Loving You which is totally legit, pete Smith told me they only did a small number of that track, 200 or so...I know there are allot of others from Abet..

Mal

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Still very keen to find out more about the origin of these Excello 2nd pressings (for want of a better word) and more importantly distinguishing features on run outs? I know some are printed on the 'wrong' label design but even that is not consistent. Nothing on the net at all that I can find. Somebody must know something, unless I'm asking on the wrong forum (probably) in view of the '50s swamp blues releases etc. Strikes me there are dealers, perhaps unintentionally, listing these at high prices on the basis that originals are 'assumed'. But with the amount of these around, there must be specific sourcing going on...

I'm not out to accuse etc; originally I just wanted to know that my Excello collection meets standards of the R&B police, but differentiating the original from reissue is now really irking me. Surely there are some early R&B collectors on here who can comment?

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

• 2 years later...

All I can add,if it's any help, is that as a  teenage Blues(as well as Soul) fan in the early 1980's some of the first Blues 45's I bought were from someone who'd been to the States a few years before;these were genuine,official 70's pressings in 'Nashboro(Distribution)Group' company sleeves of Slim Harpos' late 50's/early 60's hits like 'I Got Love If You Want It' and 'Rainin' In My Heart' on the blue early 70's Excello label.These have a stylish 'Sheldon' written(a little like  the 'Sindy' logo!) in the run out grooves. The big Excello Blues hits by Slim Harpo and Lightnin Slim still sold steadily in the South in the 70's but dwindled for sure as the decade drew to it's Disco end. I doubt more obscure 45's like Charles Sheffield went further than their initial early 60's pressings.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

Still quiet on this thread 2 years on. Maybe something to do with AVI who bought the catalogue? Anybody any insight..,

Discogs have bootlegs listed and even a Led Zeppelin which says USA, but a lot of them say UK, so perhaps someone knows and is keeping quiet

I have no knowledge of there births, but it seems they started in 2012 from the listings

https://www.discogs.com/label/834568-Excello-3

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
updated
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!