Bankhall Miners,burnley

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. :shhh: forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

Social source share

• Replies 102
  • Views 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Good shout,i used to love Bankhall Miners(1988--92 ish i think) used to stop off at a little pub miles from anywhere on our way over from Leeds---i think the pub was "The Staff of Life".Used to go with Ron Pedley,Jinksy(Scarboro one) Bruce Carter and many others---always remember Geoff Buckley spinning Jack Hammer--"What Greater Love"--most weeks-----Great nights!1

N.B---Where is Pat Allen now??

Regards

Tony.C.

Social source share

Regards

Tony.C.

Hi Tony

Pat lives in Ireland now, I last heard from him earlier this year.

regards

Paul

Wind caught his lugs on top o Pennines one day and blew him over the water !

Social source share

Good shout,i used to love Bankhall Miners(1988--92 ish i think) used to stop off at a little pub miles from anywhere on our way over from Leeds---i think the pub was "The Staff of Life".Used to go with Ron Pedley,Jinksy(Scarboro one) Bruce Carter and many others---always remember Geoff Buckley spinning Jack Hammer--"What Greater Love"--most weeks-----Great nights!1

Regards

Tony.C.

Staff of life,just outside Tod,timmy taylors house,sure jinksy dj'd once
Social source share

Used to run a minibus from Blackpool to the Bank Hall Miners - great venue. Remember tunes like Harlem Rumble, You Shook Me Up, I'm On To You Girl being big tunes there.

Pat Allen - top guy

Remember being "invited" into the room next door - if ther was a wedding or birthday party on - & relieving them of ther buffet 'round about midnight. :thumbsup:

Often talk to mates about the "unsung" clubs of days gone by & Bank Hall Miners always holds fond memories. This was at a time when venues were thin on the ground & BHM was one of the clubs that kept the scene going during the "baby boom" period.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Pat now lives over here in County Cork and is alive and kicking!

Have just come off the phone to him and he's over the moon at the talk of Bankhall Miners and would love to hear from any of you.

He would love to hear from as many of you as possible and if anyone wants to contact him just let me know.

Phil

Social source share

Pat now lives over here in County Cork and is alive and kicking!

Have just come off the phone to him and he's over the moon at the talk of Bankhall Miners and would love to hear from any of you.

He would love to hear from as many of you as possible and if anyone wants to contact him just let me know.

Phil

pm me his contact details,tell him it was salmon from rochdale who started the post
Social source share

Guest Keep the Boy Happy

The venue was excellent, good size room, long bar,

Boxing Day all dayers were excellent...

Pat used to go to the trouble of video ing a lot of the nights, we do know of a guy who did have a couple of copies, and they make excellent nostalgic viewing,

Just reading this thread has started OH and I going back down memory lane again......

gonna borrow the tapes again soon

Cheers

Mr & Mrs KTBH

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. :) forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

When I was looking for a venue in the Burnley area a couple of years ago, somebody suggested looking at the Bankhall Miners. So I thought, fantastic idea. So I went to check it out.........

Couldn't find the bloody place........ walked up and down........ the gate was locked....some football club sign on it........

Finally worked out where it should have been........ Just the shape of the foundations on the floor. That was it, gone. :huh: Flattened, God only knows when.

Shame. :)

Finished up at The Cricket Club for a while, another venue that I used to attend when in my youth, early 70's. At the moment I'm running an allnighter at the Falcon, in the Kestrel Suite, another venue that has had northern soul events through the years. If you want to relive the halcyon days of the B.H.M. you should get down tomorrow night. Many of the old faces will be in attendance, Cliff Camfield & Fred Krol will be DJ'ing, Stu Bennett, Barry Wadd, Brad, Steve Green, Andy Hutchins, Rod Shard and many more. :thumbsup:

Phil.

Social source share

When I was looking for a venue in the Burnley area a couple of years ago, somebody suggested looking at the Bankhall Miners. So I thought, fantastic idea. So I went to check it out.........

Couldn't find the bloody place........ walked up and down........ the gate was locked....some football club sign on it........

Finally worked out where it should have been........ Just the shape of the foundations on the floor. That was it, gone. :huh: Flattened, God only knows when.

Shame. :)

Finished up at The Cricket Club for a while, another venue that I used to attend when in my youth, early 70's. At the moment I'm running an allnighter at the Falcon, in the Kestrel Suite, another venue that has had northern soul events through the years. If you want to relive the halcyon days of the B.H.M. you should get down tomorrow night. Many of the old faces will be in attendance, Cliff Camfield & Fred Krol will be DJ'ing, Stu Bennett, Barry Wadd, Brad, Steve Green, Andy Hutchins, Rod Shard and many more. :thumbsup:

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Bank Hall . Miners was a great two roomer. The Boxing Day Alldayers were a good laugh. The place was bought by an Italian family (Who shall remain nameless, but a few on here will know). It then mysteriously caught fire! The Football Club sign you saw was probably for Longside FC (another great institution that is no more). They used the pitch that was out the back for a few years after the fire.

The beer was especially cheap for Dave Comer as his future wife worked behind the bar, that's where they met. (Big queue when Dave went to the bar!)

Have to say, I think the venue you've got now is also a great venue too. Had many a good night up there too back in the early 90s with Ginger et al.

Gonna try and make it over in the New Year. Be good to "do" a niter in the old stomping ground.

See you soon hopefully.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Hi Phil,

Bank Hall . Miners was a great two roomer. The Boxing Day Alldayers were a good laugh. The place was bought by an Italian family (Who shall remain nameless, but a few on here will know). It then mysteriously caught fire! The Football Club sign you saw was probably for Longside FC (another great institution that is no more). They used the pitch that was out the back for a few years after the fire.

The beer was especially cheap for Dave Comer as his future wife worked behind the bar, that's where they met. (Big queue when Dave went to the bar!)

Have to say, I think the venue you've got now is also a great venue too. Had many a good night up there too back in the early 90s with Ginger et al.

Gonna try and make it over in the New Year. Be good to "do" a niter in the old stomping ground.

See you soon hopefully.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Hello Dave,

Would be really good if you could make it, hope to be able to buy you a pint and chat. :thumbsup:

Best Phil.

Social source share

Yes i was there a few times in the mid 80s with Bob Monkhouse from Huddersfiels,whats become of that bloke..I have some photos some place,just like i have for Warrington and many other places :thumbsup: ,will have to sort them all out one day and scan them onto here,would be good to see who knows who...Bank hall was a big deal for us going into red rose land,we called it going over the top :thumbsup: ...Happy days indeed...

Social source share

Yes i was there a few times in the mid 80s with Bob Monkhouse from Huddersfiels,whats become of that bloke..I have some photos some place,just like i have for Warrington and many other places :unsure: ,will have to sort them all out one day and scan them onto here,would be good to see who knows who...Bank hall was a big deal for us going into red rose land,we called it going over the top :lol: ...Happy days indeed...

Michael will tell you all about Bob next time you see him. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Great place ! First went there with Gaz and Terry Taylor from Burnly, even tried to dj there a few times Remember when Jr Walker was going to play there and walked away ? :angry: Something about the way he was paid! postamble();

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest frenchie

Urrrrr what about shaun pawsey and carol, sue and kyle jackie green mick moore and so many more....what a great place went to nearly all of them, followed many times by flying up th m6 to Stafford. Oh happy days. feel quite middle aged looking back.

Remember the wedding party weel none of them knew what the hell they were dancing too but good time had by all that night!!

Besy boxing days ever spent in that place

Penny and Stuart Raith

Social source share

Pat used to go to the trouble of video ing a lot of the nights, we do know of a guy who did have a couple of copies, and they make excellent nostalgic viewing,

would love to see these videos - any chance of buying copy's off you?

cheers, derek

PM or email me please D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

hey up Mister Raith nice to see you at Burnley last month

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Urrrrr what about shaun pawsey and carol, sue and kyle jackie green mick moore and so many more....what a great place went to nearly all of them, followed many times by flying up th m6 to Stafford. Oh happy days. feel quite middle aged looking back.

Remember the wedding party weel none of them knew what the hell they were dancing too but good time had by all that night!!

Besy boxing days ever spent in that place

Penny and Stuart Raith

Stuart,i still remember you doing the twist to "doctor of love" at one of the boxing day do's,laugh, i nearly shat,you need to get pawsey on here :rolleyes: Salmon

Social source share

Great memories of Bank Hall i,m sure Cliff Camfield will come on and remind

me of when him and Stu Bennett bought Pat Allans collection with all the rare 45,s

for next to nothing :rolleyes::lol:

Great story of when Lew Kirton was on Harry Dennett went to his dressing room with my ex Joan and Harry,s ex Dylis to get Lews autograph Harry said to Lew every mornin i wake up look in the mirror and say i wish i had been born black , Lew replied wow thats strange every mornin i look in the mirror and think god i wish i had been born white, after that Harry & Lew became good friends Lew even stoppin in Harrys council house in

Runcorn which opened Lews eyes more than once he he...........

Social source share

Great memories of Bank Hall i,m sure Cliff Camfield will come on and remind

me of when him and Stu Bennett bought Pat Allans collection with all the rare 45,s

for next to nothing :rolleyes::lol:

Great story of when Lew Kirton was on Harry Dennett went to his dressing room with my ex Joan and Harry,s ex Dylis to get Lews autograph Harry said to Lew every mornin i wake up look in the mirror and say i wish i had been born black , Lew replied wow thats strange every mornin i look in the mirror and think god i wish i had been born white, after that Harry & Lew became good friends Lew even stoppin in Harrys council house in

Runcorn which opened Lews eyes more than once he he...........

Also good memories of leigh minersMr cunliffe :yes:
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest frenchie

Salmon are you going to the nighter at Kestrel suite on 23 Feb??? going to try and get Shaun to go with myself, Penny and her sister and a few others. Be good to see you there. Caught up with Derek Pearson and some others at the last one and have to say one of the best nighters I've been to in a long time.

Pennys coming along as its her birthday!! for a few hours anyway. Get Col and Karen to come if you see them.

Stuart Raith

Social source share

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I have footage of 1985 boxing day alldayer 50 minutes and a nighter from 84 at the Miners (thanks to Billy Foster) im putting it on DVD for anyone interested.
 With Pat Allen`s interviews of Soul Sam, Searling and a few others, quality is excellent.

PM me if interested.

unsure.png

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Keep the Boy Happy

Hi Steve

Have emailed you.

Mrs KTBH

To anyone who expressed an interest in copies of the videos I mentioned, I did ask but it would appear they have been passed on and on and on for viewing and since 'lost' and never returned to the lad that had them......probably sat in the back of someones cupboard fogotten....... :ohmy:

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest ScooterNik

The place where I cut my real northern soul teeth after a few years with the baby ones..

I remember walking in to this wall of sound and then stood there transfixed for an hour.... I think I fell in love with it then and was there as often as possible until I graduated to the All Nighters. A brilliant introduction to northern soul, every track was new to me, even the ones I had on compilations that i played on an old dancette..

I think it was also the only soul do I've ever been to that ended in a beer fight when one of my mates who'd been drinking thought it would be funny to cover me in lager. How we didn't get thrown out I'll never know, many thanks Chalkie for that :thumbsup:

After a while I stopped going as I was usually travelling by public transport to an all nighter, maybe Stafford? It seemed to have been an instituion in the area and I was surprised to find out it had been finished some time when I was looking for a soul do one weekend fairly recently as i thought it would always be there.

You could say I enjoyed it.

Thanks Pat Allen.

Social source share

Guest jobete

Had some excellent times at Bank Hall Miners, used to end up back at pats every time, rooting through his sounds.The framed lyrics & Disc of Lonely lover hanging on his wall in the back room. Mirriam & shamus on the door. Some brilliant spots by Geoff Buckley, Steve Cromer, Ady Harley, Steve Ray.. Just to mention a few. Jr Walker..... at least he got to the car park..... just a few quid short, so his agent said he wasn't coming in. Remeber going down one Saturday night & it had been cancelled about 10 of us from North East ended up at Pats' stayed there till about 5 the following morning,great host. Good memories

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Frank Elson

I think I'd have it as my favourite mid-week night of all.

Still think back to those days with a lot of pleasure.

Social source share

I think I'd have it as my favourite mid-week night of all.

Still think back to those days with a lot of pleasure.

Hi Frank,

You probably mean the Cricket Club?

You went down at least once for B&S, if not twice?

All the best

Brian B

Social source share

Hi Frank,

You probably mean the Cricket Club?

You went down at least once for B&S, if not twice?

All the best

Brian B

Actually he probably means the Concorde. It was featured regularly in BE and B&S. (Hi Frank).

Ran from 76 - 80 then handed it over as I left the town. Had some great nights there with Brady, Sam and Searling guesting every week and some great local colectors too like Guy, Dave Fergie, Mike Kemp, Dave Jolly, The Waterhouse Brothers and a whole lot of others. Used to do Sun, Wednesday and Friday nights!! Christ on a bike, we couldn't get enough back then! laugh.gif

Social source share

Actually he probably means the Concorde. It was featured regularly in BE and B&S. (Hi Frank).

Ran from 76 - 80 then handed it over as I left the town. Had some great nights there with Brady, Sam and Searling guesting every week and some great local colectors too like Guy, Dave Fergie, Mike Kemp, Dave Jolly, The Waterhouse Brothers and a whole lot of others. Used to do Sun, Wednesday and Friday nights!! Christ on a bike, we couldn't get enough back then! laugh.gif

When I was talking to Frank on Wedneasday night , the same subject came up .......

Talk about " here , there , and everywhere " during those halcyon days , we seem to have been all over to enjoy the music .........

I can recall going several times to The Howard Mallett in Cambridge , for the Tuesday session .......

Leave after the night had finished , travel back up to Doncaster , get in around 2.30 - 3 AM , get a couple of hours on the dunlapillo , and get up to do a shift at t'mill .......

Eeeh , when I were a lad .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

Buggered if I do know where I mean now :-(

What I think I meant was Bankhall Miners Club.

Me and a mate went for the rag racing whippets one night of the week and I went for the Northern Soul whenever it was on.

...and Pat Allen and I walked our dogs on Townley Park on other nights.

...and a former Ugandan Asian girl (Sue?) made us curry and chapattis at her home, same street as Pat's but oppsite side. She had a very large chest...

See, I remember lots of things, just not what day of the week it was :-)

Social source share

Me and a mate went for the rag racing whippets one night of the week and I went for the Northern Soul whenever it was on.

...and a former Ugandan Asian girl (Sue?) made us curry and chapattis at her home, same street as Pat's but oppsite side. She had a very large chest...

Do you remember the sunday night sessions at Rochdale Tiffs?
Social source share

Frank,

You are indeed correct about the Miners Club. Pat lived just up the road from Townely Park. No midweek events there though.

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

soulsalmon - yes, I remember Rochdale Tiffs. Can't remember the jocks tho ?

Dave - that's me all over, half right :-) ... or half wrong :-(

Social source share

Ran from 76 - 80 then handed it over as I left the town. Had some great nights there with Brady, Sam and Searling guesting every week and some great local colectors too like Guy, Dave Fergie, Mike Kemp, Dave Jolly, The Waterhouse Brothers and a whole lot of others. Used to do Sun, Wednesday and Friday nights!! Christ on a bike, we couldn't get enough back then! :D

Frank did a spot on in B&S about the Cricket Club in 73 or 74. He also did another spot a couple of years later. He also came down a couple more times just to visit, not to write an article.

We were all a bit unhappy on the 1st visit, as we kept away from Frank, as was the "no publicity" style then, but people knew he was coming, so a lot of strangers came down.

I distinctly remember him talking to Andy Gill, and Andy insisted he spell his name as Andreew!

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. :thumbup: forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

Have some great memories of Bank Hall, the soul nights, nighters and dayers great times.

Also the 1st soul do Louise (my wife) went to, so very special to us, still together 23 years later. :D

P. S. Pat turned up at the Burnley Nighter a few months back, we had a good chat to catch up.

Social source share

Have some great memories of Bank Hall, the soul nights, nighters and dayers great times.

Also the 1st soul do Louise (my wife) went to, so very special to us, still together 23 years later. :rolleyes:

P. S. Pat turned up at the Burnley Nighter a few months back, we had a good chat to catch up.

Yes, great night at the Kestrel Suite. Pat with Cliff Camfield and Stu Bennett.

post-1903-1216280031_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Great to read all of the above comments, The Miners hosted many cracking nites, nighters and of course the Boxing Day all dayers, this was the only place to be on Boxing Day, after visiting that other institution "Turf Moor".

Great soul folks in Burnley - who remembers the Thompson Centre Nighter (S). :rolleyes: .

Thanks.

Social source share

Great to read all of the above comments, The Miners hosted many cracking nites, nighters and of course the Boxing Day all dayers, this was the only place to be on Boxing Day, after visiting that other institution "Turf Moor".

Great soul folks in Burnley - who remembers the Thompson Centre Nighter (S). :lol: .

Thanks.

The Thompson Centre got pulled down a few months back, it,s now a car park :lol:

I never went, f....k knows way, but all my mates who went enjoyed it :lol:

Social source share

soulsalmon - yes, I remember Rochdale Tiffs. Can't remember the jocks tho ?

Dave - that's me all over, half right :-) ... or half wrong :-(

Dave Evison mainly and Richard Searling guested quite a few times if memory serves me right.. :D

Steve

Edited by StevieNoWonder
Social source share

Dave Evison mainly and Richard Searling guested quite a few times if memory serves me right.. :)

Steve

Event run by Drew (the hat)Garlick and Bill Ball,ringing any bells Frank ?,still got a pic of you me and Jackie Green(Bicknell) with JJ Barnes at the Ritz

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!