Stompers vs Bangers. What's the difference?

Over the last 18 months or so, I've been aware of the rise of the word "banger" to describe uptempo soul sounds. In more recent months it seems to have overtaken "stomper" as the defining word for fast tracks.

But what exactly is a "banger", and who can lay claim to the introduction of the word into the Northern Soul lexicon? Is a "banger" just another name for a "stomper" or does it embrace broader styles - "funky Northern", or gospel/soul tunes, for example?

Can something be a "banger" but not a "stomper" and vice versa?

And while people can stomp to "stompers", what do they do to "bangers"?

I think we should be told!  :g::wink:

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

12 minutes ago, LEN said:

I've never seen the word used, only a 'banging' night (which means 'fantastic')

I hope you're not telling 'porkies' (Ged it?) :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

A quick search on Soul Source for the word "banger" shows that it is commonly used by people on here. The screen grab here shows a few examples...

banger.jpg

https://www.soul-source.co.uksearch/?type=all&q=banger

In fact, looking through those results for the earliest use of the word "banger" to describe a tune, I see it's KeithW, who used it extensively in sales posts in 2005.

banger2.jpg

The next independent use of the word is by Sebastian, whose makes it his choice word of description in 2006. There is also an unidentified "guest" - presumably from Stateside - who also uses the word in sales posts.

Banger3.jpg

Ezzie Brown is then next to use it on this site - in July 2007. Others start to use the word after, and by 2010/11, it's being used increasingly, but only by a handful of people. Thereafter, it starts to enter the general lexicon and appears to be almost (but not quite, bearing in mind that you, Len, haven't heard of it) in the mainstream. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Dave Girdwood said:

It's a Scottish thing Russ ;) 

I initially though so, but someone over here - Dutch, and not directly associated with "Northern Soul" - used the word recently to describe a funk/soul tune. Also seen it extensively used by the likes of Greg Belson. Now I see it all over Facebook, and not just through you guys in Scotland.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Ezzie Brown is then next to use it on this site - in July 2007. Others start to use the word after, and by 2010/11, it's being used increasingly, but only by a handful of people. Thereafter, it starts to enter the general lexicon and appears to be almost (but not quite, bearing in mind that you, Len, haven't heard of it) in the mainstream. 

I stand corrected - I don't come on Soul-source much so missed it :D

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

I thought Banger just meant great, top, terrific etc As in a Banging good sound, but then again it might be just a midlands term not to offend the Scots obviously

Kirsty

that's what I mean, its just not very des, not a style descriptive, it just describes a top tune, not a style

Social source share

3 minutes ago, SOUL INC said:

Recently I was looking through someone's sales in this country and asked what a record unknown to me was like - "Exotica" was the description given to me, I'm still none the wiser.

Des

its a catch all term to describe music that cant be flogged to people who like soul, funk, R&B. much like titty shaker

• Helpful 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I thought banger was just a term for a great record - irrespective of style.

Exactly what I'm trying to find out. Never seen a sweet soul tunes described as a banger, so tempo seems to be a factor. It also seems that an unhealthy number of people on here have an obsession with sausages. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

It also seems that an unhealthy number of people on here have an obsession with sausages. :lol:

God you may be right :ohmy: I'm sort of having a weeks holiday (working from home first week of School hols) Yesterday AND today I thoroughly enjoyed 'the moment' of eating a sausage sandwiche in the garden, and am already looking forward to tomorrows' 'happy snack'......I hope it doesn't turn in to a problem :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, LEN said:

God you may be right :ohmy: I'm sort of having a weeks holiday (working from home first week of School hols) Yesterday AND today I thoroughly enjoyed 'the moment' of eating a sausage sandwiche in the garden, and am already looking forward to tomorrows' 'happy snack'......I hope it doesn't turn in to a problem :D

That's a banger Len.....Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just to be pedantic,generally in scotland we call sausages sausages .the sausages most british people call bangers we call

links.....

This is due to our invention of square sliced sausages.

Folk will travel miles for the best square slice....

Next week

What scots deep fry and eat....!

A roll on sausage and potatoe scone with an egg is bangin

A top uptempo tune is a stomper

Geo

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, geobuch335 said:

Just to be pedantic,generally in scotland we call sausages sausages .the sausages most british people call bangers we call

links.....

This is due to our invention of square sliced sausages.

Folk will travel miles for the best square slice....

Next week

What scots deep fry and eat....!

A roll on sausage and potatoe scone with an egg is bangin

A top uptempo tune is a stomper

Geo

Love square sliced sausage meat. Don't see it much in Manchester.

Deep fried mars bars by any chance ? 

Square sausage meat on potato cakes. Yummy

Steve

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Banger. WTF. sausage or old car nothing more ,nothing less. There's enough shit on here calling Northern soul different things without anymore

Steve

Give me a spam fritter, (round not square), , mash and baked beans. Make that three spam fritters, mash and baked beans and I'll keep quiet.

I like spam fritter's i do.. :huh: 

You can buy them in Morrisons now but I haven't had one since school - I may have to change that soon. Spam fritter anyone...........

:elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Give me a spam fritter, (round not square), , mash and baked beans. Make that three spam fritters, mash and baked beans and I'll keep quiet.

I like spam fritter's i do.. :huh: 

You can buy them in Morrisons now but I haven't had one since school - I may have to change that soon. Spam fritter anyone...........

Peter. Good evening :hatsoff2: spam fritters come as standard when you order a breakfast over the big hill on the dark side

Steve

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter. Good evening :hatsoff2: spam fritters come as standard when you order a breakfast over the big hill on the dark side

Steve

Ay up my mate.

Nice, very nice. 

Hope all is well mate. I remember, with great fondness, a most superior steak and kidney pudding when roughing it a bit in Stockport. Rather random I know, but so was (trying) to sleep in a burnt out motor vehicle. Oh how we lived and laughed. Totally off topic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

The word "banger" has been used to describe dance and hip hip tunes (not soul) for as long as I can remember.... I remember DJ's back in the day shouting out "this one is an absolute banger" and the playing a very good, heavy dance or rap track. I guess the term may have crossed over and now just means a "top tune"......

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Soulskate70 said:

The word "banger" has been used to describe dance and hip hip tunes (not soul) for as long as I can remember.... I remember DJ's back in the day shouting out "this one is an absolute banger" and the playing a very good, heavy dance or rap track. I guess the term may have crossed over and now just means a "top tune"......

Back when would you say?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Depends on your definition of a banger. Which is...?

My definition? Well the scan was obviously aimed at those with a sense of humour, Pork as in pork sausage :rofl::rolleyes:

As for the term, I've only ever seen in mentioned on line, never heard it in a venue by a Dj or any dealer and personally I couldn't care less.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Gold Band said:

I thought Banger just meant great, top, terrific etc As in a Banging good sound, but then again it might be just a midlands term not to offend the Scots obviously

Kirsty

21 hours ago, Will said:

It's an Americanism which has creeped in, for a tune/event that's good

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=banger

A similar thing has occurred with craft beer (US) and real ale (UK). Real ale is often now called craft beer by people in Britain, even though the two terms don't necessarily both apply to the same product. 

16 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I thought banger was just a term for a great record - irrespective of style.

11 hours ago, Soulskate70 said:

So, four useful points of view on what a "banger" might be. Thanks for those. The consensus of opinion (from those not obsessed by sausages) is that a "banger" is an adjective used to describe a "top tune" and can mean great/good/fantastic and any other superlative you care to think of. There seems to be no association with a specific musical style or genre.

An upbeat tempo appears to be a factor in whether a tune can be a "banger" or not. To my mind "banger" appears to be replacing "stomper" in certain circles, possibly by elements of those who have moved beyond the frequently strict signature tempos of "traditional" Northern Soul tracks and have embraced the broader spheres of funkier tempos and crossover grooves that have expanded the nature of the scene over the last ten years or so. 

Like it, dislike it, or couldn't care less, I reckon the word "banger" is going to become even more widely used in the future than it is already. 

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Philly said:

Jeez ..... you guys sure like to dissect things :lol: 

It seems to be the new term used if a tune has a banging reaction .... I think:g:

But for me this comes to mind ....

banger.jpg

A tune that has an "explosive reaction" on the dance floor is what I was thinking, so you're pretty spot on. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Reading this thread I've come the conclusion it's possible to be in Bangor at a banging Bonfire party eating a banger while listening to a banger chatting up a banger as someone sets off a banger, I've now got a banging headache or is that just a northern expression

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Reading this thread I've come the conclusion it's possible to be in Bangor at a banging Bonfire party eating a banger while listening to a banger chatting up a banger as someone sets off a banger, I've now got a banging headache or is that just a northern expression

Banging on again Bill, see you int doghouse Friday

Bangers - it's all subjective

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Young un's of all tribes and none these days often refer to a sound they like as a banger, regardless of genre or tempo. For whatever reason it seems to have crept into  Northern lexicon as a replacement for stomper, which by general consensus was used to describe tracks that were either fast or otherwise ooomph-laden (a certified madman roaring out gutbucket vocals - Jimmy Robbins, for instance; loud, blaring horns; badass lyrics...) Personally, I define a banger as a record that is both fast and ooomph-laden.

Then there's Aggro Soul, which is pretty much my defination of a banger...:pirate:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

If a record makes you want to.throw plastic chairs at coppers - then it's safe to consider such a record as 'a banger'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!