Stompers vs Bangers. What's the difference?

3 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

Young un's of all tribes and none these days often refer to a sound they like as a banger, regardless of genre or tempo. For whatever reason it seems to have crept into  Northern lexicon as a replacement for stomper, which by general consensus was used to describe tracks that were either fast or otherwise ooomph-laden (a certified madman roaring out gutbucket vocals - Jimmy Robbins, for instance; loud, blaring horns; badass lyrics...) Personally, I define a banger as a record that is both fast and ooomph-laden.

Then there's Aggro Soul, which is pretty much my defination of a banger...:pirate:

now aggro soul is totally different, its angry passionate and raw, takes no prisoners , ie whisky talkin

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Others seen using the term "banger" to describe tunes are Colin Law and Chris Anderton. Dave Thorley mentioned previously...

Possibly much more widely used than first thought. And possibly not used by old-timers with walking sticks - as referred to by Wood Butcher - because of the implicit risks to health of anything involving a bang.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70
On 26 July 2016 at 22:36, Russell Gilbert said:

Back when would you say?

Around 1985 onwards.... DJ's like Tim Westwood before he started sounding ridiculous at Spats, The Wag Club and Electric Ballroom on a Saturday afternoon.

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I kind of know a bit about NS dancing, but have never heard about a 'banger' ? Here's my 3p worth - A 'floater' is slow to mid-tempo, (Detroit Executives - Cool Off). A 'stomper' is faster, but basic 4/4, ( Willie Mitchell - The Champion). A 'shuffler' is faster than a 'stomper' and trickier, ( Frankie Crocker - Ton of Dynamite) .

Social source share

A daft term. Really meaningless. Just an adjective for a hard hitting sound.  Best if this word is merely used to hype-up sales lists methinks.

Certainly not a word that bears comparison with 'stomper', a term that also fails to aptly describe a dance style but was appropriate to depict the noise coming from Cleethorpes Pier on Sunday mornings.

Don't get me started on 'shufflers' though...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I always thought stomper just meant uptempo , 100mph.

It was often said as " 100mph stomper" records like James Carr That's what I want to know , Sandi Sheldon etc.

I think later when a dance style emerged to records like Seventh Wonder , Willie Mitchell etc folks started calling it stomping and records that they could stomp to as stompers but I still use the term just to describe a 100mph sound.

Don't know what a banger is

Social source share

Since starting this thread I've been surprised at just how commonplace the word "banger" has become in describing a certain types of tunes. It's pretty much mainstream now, to my mind, so is sure to become ubiquitous. Seems about the only place it's not being used with any great frequency is Soul Source. Perhaps that has something to do with membership demographics. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!