All About The Soul? Well- Sort Of

I work with a chap who is very much into his 50s and Americana.He's aware of the Northern Soul scene and we got to discussing the last gasp attempts of 50s artists like Tommy Sands, Jerry Naylor etc (The Statue, City Lights) - he asked if I could compile some of the tunes for him.

I'd love help with suggestions- Charlie Gracie, Charlie Rich and so on, records that have been played at our clubs. Over to you lot

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Interesting topic.  We need to untangle songs by pop artists with Northern Soul spins in the first flush of their career such as B.J. Thomas. Frankie Valli or Jerry Fuller with those you mention trying to keep relevant in their latter stages.  Some initial thoughts, Wayne Fontana's 'Something Keeps Calling Me Back', Gary Lewis, Brian Hyland 'Joker went Wild'.  However these were contemporary artists rather than 1950's ones carrying on.   Doo-Wop artists from '50s will be relevant as they adapt to the 'new' soul sound.  Off out now so will have a think.

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

I have a similar conversation with someone in work, and he was astounded when I played Jerry Fuller, Charlie Gracie, Little Richard, Larry Williams etc. he didn't realise they had still carried on after the 50s.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert