Most expensive "common" records

Guest Soulskate70

49 minutes ago, damian said:

Soul Majestics... nailed it.. when I saw that last copy go for $800+ on eBay I just couldn't believe my eyes. 

Funny thing is that when previous cheapies go for a lot of money, they suddenly seem more desirable! 

Social source share

It doesn’t take many dealers / collectors to hoover up cheap stock of a good record fairly quickly in reasonable quantity then they sell them one at a time.

i’d feel Embarrassed paying today’s rate for something like Jeanette it’s so far away from what I believe the soul scene should be about.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
5 hours ago, Dylan said:

i’d feel Embarrassed paying today’s rate for something like Jeanette

originally a 50p record, then a £50 quid record, then mad prices - seen a few popping up discogs recently, must be loads sat in collections

Social source share

Jeanette HAS to be the worst - when I bought the last copy I had at Morecambe for £7 (the previous two I had were under a fiver) there were 20 copies in the box. I believe that Tim Brown used to have 350 copies of that dreadful Doug Banks rubbish,

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

And to state the obvious the opposite to this is very rare records not reaching similar prices or higher due to lack of exposure and lack of copies coming to market.

maybe now after the scene existing for so long this is far less likely but in the not to distant past it was probably true.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Dana Valery. One on JMs, finishing tonight and already over £400. Black & white demo is very scarce as is the red issue and I would certainly say they are quite big money items but the red & white demo which is nowhere near as rare always go`s for more.

Social source share

17 hours ago, diddy morgan said:

There are loads overpriced 45s

Sam dees lonely

Cashing in 

Velvet hammer 

Robert thomas

Montclaires hey you

Magic night 

Garfield fleming 

Timi yuro 

Billy davis 

And way way more , not rare and in abundance  

How about putting your estimate values next to each record that you list.  People on here seem to instinctively know what is over-priced, but what should the current and 'honest' price be then?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Soul Majestics demo on Facebook this week for $400 another track that is so woefully over priced its bloody mental. Rare Soul Valuations is interesting on Facebook because it seems fluent and a lot of stuff talked about doe not turn up often-but sticking to the thread Mark is right put values on the records and base your valuation on the fact that you have sold it? 

Assumptions on general prices is futile and totally subjective as many go over priced lots go under priced and a whole lot in the middle do not sell,the do not sell category happens to lots of records listed in this thread that have had the arse played out of them am are no longer flavour of the month/ year .Salvation comes into this category ie no longer £250 etc slowly going the other way and then take Garfield Fleming a record that has risen x 4 to 5 times the regular £50 quid it used to fetch.

The Novo Rich want the Sam Dees/Montclaires -Stanky get Burnley lol,let them crack on,the wise collector will always saught out the interesting 45s that have the right combination of rarity,quality and availability or better still collect Stax Philly Int and Atlantic and get all them wonderful records at the right price and get your moneys worth a thousand times over NUFF SAID YOUTH>.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
15 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Salvation comes into this category ie no longer £250 etc slowly going the other way

still £400-800 on discogs, paid bugger all for mine years back, please don't talk it down 🙂

16 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

The Novo Rich want  -Stanky get Burnley

made me laugh

17 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

the wise collector will always saught out the interesting 45s that have the right combination of rarity,quality and availability or better still collect Stax Philly Int and Atlantic and get all them wonderful records at the right price and get your moneys worth a thousand times over

this 100%

Social source share

Taking a valuation of Discogs is absolutely fantasy island if there stood at that price that’s why there are plainly over priced ! 

For every punt on the gogs and I know some  records do go way out of the remit thousands others stand for years. 

And as for talking it down just an observation to be honest I have had the record since 1979 and it to me is a bog standard record with limited appeal but I don’t speak for the masses it appeals to I speak for myself . It says more about a scene in decline imho because there are real crackers out there that wipe the floor with it still unplayed and that is the biggest shame ! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, Baz Atkinson said:

And as for talking it down

hi Baz that was just a joke, think I paid a fiver for mine

2 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

there are real crackers out there that wipe the floor with it still unplayed and that is the biggest shame ! 

yeah I agree

Social source share

On 12/06/2019 at 07:12, DaveNPete said:

Jeanette HAS to be the worst - when I bought the last copy I had at Morecambe for £7 (the previous two I had were under a fiver) there were 20 copies in the box. I believe that Tim Brown used to have 350 copies of that dreadful Doug Banks rubbish,

Dx

Just noticed Pat Brady has a Jeanette on auction and it's up to £955 with 12 days to go!

And I thought I had done well selling mine for £15 at Bradfords Queens Hall allnighter in the 1990's!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

Just noticed Pat Brady has a Jeanette on auction and it's up to £955 with 12 days to go!

And I thought I had done well selling mine for £15 at Bradfords Queens Hall allnighter in the 1990's!

Wouldn't pay £9.95 never mind what the price is on Pats  site.  Is there a worse priced record  ? 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Wouldn't pay £9.95 never mind what the price is on Pats  site.  Is there a worse priced record  ? 

I've had at least 3 copies over the years, paid maybe 15 quid for the first couple sold for maybe 30 quid, the last one was a little more 30 quid sold it for around 450 back in 2009/10 and thought I did well, certainly not rare but as with many records demand takes over the rarity factor.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark Bicknell said:

I've had at least 3 copies over the years, paid maybe 15 quid for the first couple sold for maybe 30 quid, the last one was a little more 30 quid sold it for around 450 back in 2009/10 and thought I did well, certainly not rare but as with many records demand takes over the rarity factor.

I know Mark.  We thought that the prices where mad in the 80,s and 90,s. Beyond belief with some these days.

Hindsight ,we could have been very rich mate. 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I know Mark.  We thought that the prices where mad in the 80,s and 90,s. Beyond belief with some these days.

Hindsight ,we could have been very rich mate. 

Tell me about it lol, still all part of the journey mate, still dabble lol.

FB_IMG_1559583707740.jpg

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!