Most expensive "common" records

Guest Soulskate70

Guest Soulskate70

I have only been seriously collecting original soul 45's for just over two years and in my opinion certain 45's seem to be for sale nearly every other week meaning they are quite common and always fetch a pretty decent price....

One of the main tunes seems to be Dearly Beloved by Jack Montgomery. A great tune and there always seems to be one for sale.

I realise that in some cases demand for a tune reflects the price, but my question is what is the most common (as in amount around) that fetches a very high price? Just interested to find out!

Social source share

Gene Woodbury on Del Val seems to be doing well these days... no shortage of copies though... Ive never wanted to buy a Carlena Weaver, paid £2 for my first copy, just cant pay the money folks are asking for that, same with Earthquake - Roy Hamilton...  Robert Thomas, Fiats are the same...

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Copies of "who will do your running now" are all over the place, in contrast perhaps to its going price ?!

Social source share

In my opinion we have to differentiate:

- Common records that are in demand and sell for a rather huge price

- Common records that used to be in demand and are still listed for a rather huge price. However I doubt they sell.

- Common records that are of such a quality that almost everybody wants them. Hence the price. Jack Montgomery on Scepter being a pretty good example.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

19 minutes ago, polyvelts said:

Copies of "who will do your running now" are all over the place, in contrast perhaps to its going price ?!

they are, but try finding a good copy, most of em a Fooked... same with 'My Magic Corner' Belita Woods, common and they are all buggared...has 3 of those, Ive now given up...

Social source share

1 hour ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Paramount four....you don't know.....is fetching good money now...not rare just in demand..there are lots and lots of records that aren't rare but get great money....Sam dees....lonely for you baby is a good example.....kind regards.....Rob

flip of Paramount four is a killer, I ended up liking that more in the end... Wally Cox - This Man is very common, but its absolutely brilliant, so option 3 from Benji o that one.. :-))

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Scotters said:

Epitome of Sound seems to still be fetching higher prices with each year that ticks by, hardly anyone now wanting to part with their copy for various reasons.

not wanting to part with certain tunes comes into play too, Is it just that certain keep fetching the prices so they keep getting bug out of colections where as others

languish because they don't reflect there true rarity in terms of sales. Conversely I've picked up a few tunes that are unfashionable now , but I couldn't get a sniff at in the 80'sbecause they were getting played and too pricey for me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

they are, but try finding a good copy, most of em a Fooked... same with 'My Magic Corner' Belita Woods, common and they are all buggared...has 3 of those, Ive now given up...

ahh, belita woods, first copy 3 quid totally knackered but played, had three more all knackered but all played, however I,ll keep my knackered one and resist paying loads for a good one that will eventually get knackered, personally I like a bit of provenance,

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Ladymidnight said:

Bobby Reed - The time is right + Charles Johnson - Never had a love are two that spring to mind.

There were stories floating around of pallet loads of either Bobby Reed or John Edwards Bell releases and was told people were walking over them to get to rarer records

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

13 hours ago, Soulskate70 said:

I have only been seriously collecting original soul 45's for just over two years and in my opinion certain 45's seem to be for sale nearly every other week meaning they are quite common and always fetch a pretty decent price....

One of the main tunes seems to be Dearly Beloved by Jack Montgomery. A great tune and there always seems to be one for sale.

I realise that in some cases demand for a tune reflects the price, but my question is what is the most common (as in amount around) that fetches a very high price? Just interested to find out!

Define "quite common". Is Dearly Beloved quite common? I don't know. I've just checked on ebay and there two original copies for sale one in the UK one in the US. How is that "quite common"? Especially when in mediocre condition. Unless you have a rough idea of how many copies were pressed, are in circulation and in collections its pretty meaningless. The evidence suggests it isn't at all common. Maybe fairly easy to get a copy if you've got a several hundred quid spare but that's a different matter. A record that commands prices of £300-500 isn't "common" by any stretch of the imagination. 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, maslar said:

Define "quite common". Is Dearly Beloved quite common? I don't know. I've just checked on ebay and there two original copies for sale one in the UK one in the US. How is that "quite common"? Especially when in mediocre condition. Unless you have a rough idea of how many copies were pressed, are in circulation and in collections its pretty meaningless. The evidence suggests it isn't at all common. Maybe fairly easy to get a copy if you've got a several hundred quid spare but that's a different matter. A record that commands prices of £300-500 isn't "common" by any stretch of the imagination. 

I see your point, of course those previously mentioned are not records you will find in a regular shop or thrift store.

However, many of them do come up for sale all the time, and in good condition, maybe suggesting that those are the first records people sell when they need cash for something else, cos they will be easy to replace if needed?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Brothers of Soul-I'd be grateful-Boo particularly the orange issue is up for sale every week fetching £125+, I think the "Can't get you off my mind" by them on Boo and particularly Criss-Cross is a harder record and every bit as good, hardly ever comes up but doesn't command the same price for some reason

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
3 hours ago, maslar said:

By "common" I think he means abundant, as opposed to affordable..... hundreds are listed for sale year in year out.  Marie Knight "That's No Way..." is another in this category.

Cheers............Pete

Social source share

One I use as a yardstick  ...Jesse James  'love affair '.....great record but £50...never...not for the amount that are about. ..I know £50 ain't a lot to some but prices for records like this prop others up ...also cos someone has paid £50 or thereabouts for a record they actually DON'T want to see it lower!!that props prices up falsely Imo 

Dave L

Social source share

Since the film, records that were flogged to death have now found a new lease of life as the newbies [hate that word] and the returnees all look to buy the real class records.

Like Chalky said, Janette is a prime example. A record that is just so good it will always be wanted.

Records can appear to be common when they aren't in vogue, because you see them constantly for sale.

As soon as they get played, those copies disappear, and you realise they are quite rare.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Cashmeres on HEM always seems to go for high amounts considering how often it comes up.

Also, as mentioned in many previous threads, Frank Beverly on SASSY and Ronnie Forte on TARX were imported in decent amounts in the 70's and were sold by folks like Pep in their shop for not much more than boots/pressing's of the current "in vogue" tunes of the day. These 2 are always sort after and go for good money considering the copies about. Having said that, it's cheaper to pay up for the records you want rather than convert a De Lorean and add a Flux Capacitor. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, kev cane said:

Massive point here Dave though is if you can get the issue or the demo, "Love affair" is great and as you well know occupies both sides of the demo, the issue however, for my money has the best thing he ever did on the flip "I never meant to love her" and for me is worth the £50 alone, maybe a thing on supply and demand on this one Dave, the issue is tucked away in peoples collections who don't want to part, hence the demo showing up far more frequently making the issue even more desireable

Kev

Agree on the issue copy kev...i had one and gave it to a mate as i bought the gunsmoke release,far far harder than the demo ,you've hit the nail on the head that records become 'keepers' mate...some or most have emotional attatchment too..i'm as guilty as anyone else..but i reckon some of these emotions or whatever fuel this 'i gotta have it' thing...the demo's of J James 'love affair' i once saw at a dealers (and there'll have been many more that had them)stacked 2-3 feet high at £5 each...(.not a issue amongst 'em).....its when i see comments against records like these 'now rare blah blah'....nar then wonder if i can get that issue back:g:

All the best

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, maslar said:

Anyone who has been around records, selling, collecting etc knows there is decent quantity of Jack Montgomery. I must have seen a copy for sale from a different seller every week for years. But I think you know that yourself and know what is meant by quite common. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster
4 hours ago, lfcjunkie said:

One I use as a yardstick  ...Jesse James  'love affair '.....great record but £50...never...not for the amount that are about. ..I know £50 ain't a lot to some but prices for records like this prop others up ...also cos someone has paid £50 or thereabouts for a record they actually DON'T want to see it lower!!that props prices up falsely Imo 

Dave L

glad you suggested this one, it was on my wants list for about 3 years hut I was adamant that I was not going to pay £50 for it as there was always loads of copies for sale at the same time making me question the value placed on it. I held out and a couple of months ago picked up a minter in company sleeve for £20.

speaks volumes regarding many people being too quick to shell out for a record priced beyond its true value.

doesn't relate to scarcer tunes of course but stands as a good example of overpriced items selling to lazy buyers

Social source share

Just now, Andy Kempster said:

glad you suggested this one, it was on my wants list for about 3 years hut I was adamant that I was not going to pay £50 for it as there was always loads of copies for sale at the same time making me question the value placed on it. I held out and a couple of months ago picked up a minter in company sleeve for £20.

speaks volumes regarding many people being too quick to shell out for a record priced beyond its true value.

doesn't relate to scarcer tunes of course but stands as a good example of overpriced items selling to lazy buyers

Issue or demo ?

Social source share

Steinways  "You've Been Leading Me On / My Hearts Not In It Anymore - Oliver

There has been hundreds of copies of this record for sale over the years, but it always goes for a decent price!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
4 hours ago, lfcjunkie said:

Dave L

In a nutshell !

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70
11 hours ago, maslar said:

OK.... My definition of "quite common" is a record that is available for sale on a regular basis from different sources, and therefore pretty easy to obtain. There are a lot of three-figure records like Jeanette and Dearly Beloved that are obviously (by rare soul standards) not rare at all.... The price of these items only reflects their popularity.... I actually think it's sometimes harder to find a nice copy of a less known tune that sells for way less. 

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

James Walsh Gypsy Band is another 45 that is extremely common and seems to hold it's price in the UK.......

Social source share

6 hours ago, kev cane said:

Massive point here Dave though is if you can get the issue or the demo, "Love affair" is great and as you well know occupies both sides of the demo, the issue however, for my money has the best thing he ever did on the flip "I never meant to love her" and for me is worth the £50 alone, maybe a thing on supply and demand on this one Dave, the issue is tucked away in peoples collections who don't want to part, hence the demo showing up far more frequently making the issue even more desireable

Kev

Agree on the issue copy kev...i had one and gave it to a mate as i bought the gunsmoke release,far far harder than the demo ,you've hit the nail on the head that records become 'keepers' mate...some or most have emotional attatchment too..i'm as guilty as anyone else..but i reckon some of these emotions or whatever fuel this 'i gotta have it' thing...the demo's of J James 'love affair' i once saw at a dealers (and there'll have been many more that had them)stacked 2-3 feet high at £5 each...(.not a issue amongst 'em).....its when i see comments against records like these 'now rare blah blah'....nar then wonder if i can get that issue back:g:

All the best

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

MIGHTY LOVERS-AINT GOONA RUN NO MORE-SOULHAWK

I USED TO LEAVE EM ON A REGULAR BASIS-WAS TOLD BY A LOCAL LAD A GUY ON BARNSLEY MARKET HAD BOXES OF THIS RECORD IN THE 7TS-IVE FOUND TWO LOCALY SO IM SURE HIS MEMORY IS CORRECT-TWO GREAT SIDES BUT £500? NEVER!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, solidsoul said:

There has been hundreds of copies of this record for sale over the years, but it always goes for a decent price!

I reduced the number of copies by one when I cracked the edge off mine lol

Social source share

18 hours ago, solidsoul said:

It fills the floor as its a top class dancers tune so not surprising , class is class , same goes for Frankie b and the butlers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Millionaires- Never For Me . US Philips.     Common?- Definately ,   Most Expensive?-   might be about to find out as, believe it or not, Manship has put it up for auction.

With over three weeks to go it's already at £71. I know it was a long time ago but this record was a regular 25p item in shops around Manchester.  I assume it has been getting plays again.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rick I would say its just a northern classic which is probably hard to find in mint condition so therefore goes on auction. The price of northern classics has risen so much in the last couple of years that any classic rare or not is likely to go for much more than we would imagine on auction. Especially Mr Manships auction.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

8 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Rick I would say its just a northern classic which is probably hard to find in mint condition so therefore goes on auction. The price of northern classics has risen so much in the last couple of years that any classic rare or not is likely to go for much more than we would imagine on auction. Especially Mr Manships auction.

Cheers Paul

5 years ago you'd be hard pushed to get £20 for it.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Cheers Paul

Paul

I get your point about condition as all the copies that were knocking around years ago are probably in a really bad state now. Anyway I'll probably be shouting "I don't believe it" when the auction ends at three figures:).

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Millionaires- Never For Me . US Philips.     Common?- Definately ,   Most Expensive?-   might be about to find out as, believe it or not, Manship has put it up for auction.

With over three weeks to go it's already at £71. I know it was a long time ago but this record was a regular 25p item in shops around Manchester.  I assume it has been getting plays again.

Rick

Just sold this a few weeks ago for £25 quid, the guy who bought it was like a dog with two dicks about getting a copy. Kinnel I've sold dozens over the years.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!