Record labels named after the owner/owners

Record labels that are named incorporating the owner or owners names:

Johnny Guitar Watson "Ain't Gonna Move" on Jowat is a great example.

I'd love to know - or be able to remember - just how long it took me to spot this hidden in plain sight detail.

There's bound to be loads more but none spring immediately to mind. Help me out eh?

Labels such as Karen that were named after the name of a family member (one of the owners daughters so I've read) also count I guess.

Derek

johnny guitar watson jowat.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gordy is obvious.

Sue was named after Juggy Jones Mother and Daughter,  Okeh (Otto K.E. Heinneman), Wingate (Ed Wingate), Kapp (Dave Kapp),

Calla (Nate McCalla), Son-Bert (SONny Sanders, RoBERT Bateman) Mayfield (Curtis Mayfield), A & M (Herb  Alpert, Jerry Moss), 

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

A few more- Palmer (Palmer James), MAH'S (Mike A. Hanks) , Anna (Anna Gordy), Ashford (Jack Ashford), Mirwood and Mira (Randy Wood's daughter Mira), Harvey (Fuqua), DaCo (Don Davis, Robert and Hazel Coleman), Dee Gee (Dizzy Gillespie),  Chess (Leonard and Phil Chess), Omack (Ollie MacLaughlin), Carla, Karen, Moira (Ollie MacLaughlin's daughters) and Drew (Andrew Mike Terry).

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, the yank said:

A few more- Palmer (Palmer James), MAH'S (Mike A. Hanks) , Anna (Anna Gordy), Ashford (Jack Ashford), Mirwood and Mira (Randy Wood's daughter Mira), Harvey (Fuqua), DaCo (Don Davis, Robert and Hazel Coleman), Dee Gee (Dizzy Gillespie),  Chess (Leonard and Phil Chess), Omack (Ollie MacLaughlin), Carla, Karen, Moira (Ollie MacLaughlin's daughters) and Drew (Andrew Mike Terry).

You forgot Ranwood. 

Also LaBeat - Lou Beatty, Renfro - Mike Renfro, Rouser - Tommy Rouse, Silver - Lee Silver, (plus Gordy, HBR - and MGM !)

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Weren't lots more named after the owner's family .... how about Oliver Sain's Vanessa + loads of others in similar style (apart from those already mentioned above).

How about both Abner Records (Chicago & Cleveland). Boddie in Cleveland. Probably DeBrossard & Daywood (Cleveland) Gerim (Chicago) -- Gerald Sims. Zenette Records (Baltimore), Kenny Hamber had a 45 on this label named after the DJ owner's daughter. Burman (Baltimore). Ru-Jac after ... RU - Rufus Mitchell (owner) & ??.

Does Big Jim count, the nickname (from American football) of Jim Brown.

Do initials count ... such as MB Records (Bobby Kline) named after owner Marc Brown.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, the yank said:

Palmer was NOT named after Palmer James.  I had thought so, but was corrected.  I guess Palmer was the name of the main financier of Palmer records, but he wasn't the A&R man in daily operations of the label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 7/29/2016 at 13:48, Zanetti said:

Theoda Moore & James Riley

7.png

8.png

Also, Big D and Diamond Jim for Diamond Jim Riley.  Thelma Gordy Coleman was daughter of Thelma owners Hazel and Robert Coleman.  There are literally THOUSANDS of label names based on the names of label owners and their family members.  I can't name them all on this thread.  I need to work to earn a living.

Washpan(Gino Washington), Ernstrat(Ernie Stratton), JVB (Joe Von Battle), HPC(Hardye (for Harvey Fuqua), MRC(Mike Hanks and 2 others), Brownie (Gary Brown), Davis(Joe Davis), SAR(Sam Cooke/JW Alexander), JW (Joanne/Wingate), Ermine (Bill Ehrman), Ron's (Ron Murphy), Bunny/Big Bunny (Bunny Jones), Katron (Bob Catron), Rich (John Richbourg), GeneBro, Dotty's, Stepp (Mickey Stevenson), Phillips (Sam Phillips),  Philips (Anton Philips), Thomas (Eddie Thomas) ..... on and on... ad infinitum...

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Burt (Ernest Burt), Philles (Phil Spector/Lester Sill), Phi-Dan (Phil Spector/Danny Davis), Lucky (Doc "Lucky" Oliver), Dynamite(James "Mr. Dynamite" Brown), Todd(owner Paul Cohen's son?), Wasn't "Carrie" James Hendrix's daughter?, Can-Jo (Candy Johnson), Despenza and Dispo (Barry Despenza), Dat Richfield Kat, JOB, Johnson, Frank, Mercer (Mercer Ellington), Ja-Dan (Jack Daniels), Daniels (Tony Daniels), Barry. Keen (Bob Keane),  

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, lfcjunkie said:

Big J...Jeff Floyds 'don't leave me'

Caiburt-Richard Caiton...and Bert someone...i'll have to have a look...

Dispo/dispenza.....Barry Dispenza

Brent-Brenton Wood

Brent-Brenton Wood is just a coincidence.  Brent was owned and founded by Bob Shad.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Brent-Brenton Wood is just a coincidence.  Brent was owned and founded by Bob Shad.

Thanks Rob....i've read somewhere it was brentons label...then again i've got a book here with a few outrageous 'facts' ...maybe its in that one!

Social source share

1 hour ago, the yank said:

Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville U.S.A." and the liner notes to the  "Goin' To A Happening- The Northern Soul Of Richard "Popcorn" Wylie "CD both have Pameline being Popcorn's daughter.

So, Popcorn named the label after only one daughter, named "Pameline"?  Did he have 3, 2 or, just 1 daughter?

Social source share

Zell's (Zell Sanders), SAMO(Sam Motley), Teri De, Wally, Glo-Whiz(Gloria Taylor/Whiz Whisenhunt), Juggy (Juggy Murray), Rojac, Ju-Par, Jomar, Jocida and Jomada (Johnny Nash+), Deesu, Sansu, Crewe (Bob Crewe), Burt (Ernest Burt), RayBer(Raynoma Liles Gordy and Berry Gordy), Renee (probably a daughter, wife or girlfriend of the owner (Leo Austell?), Paula? SBK (Sepe, Krasnow & Brooks), SVR, RanDee and MarKie (owner's 2 sons)

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mutt & Jeff (Joe Jefferson +), MurCo, Heidi, JJ (Little Joe Cook +) Joda (Johnny Nash), Jameco(James Hendrix), HBR (Joe Hanna and Bill Barbera), Mas-Tok and Cha-Tok (Charles Stokes), Mack IV (Jimmy McEachin), Maurci, Mikim(Mickey Stevenson & Kim Weston), Tou-Sea(Alan Toussaint+), Trudel, Vando (Van McCoy+), Villa (Pancho Villa), Virtue (Frank Virtue), Redd, Red Coach and Redd Coach(Gene Redd Jr.), Roker(Wally Roker, Retta's and O'Retta, Yan G, Yancy (Yancy Millsap), ParLo, Leo, Maxx(Larry Maxwell), GreGar, Eskee, Gloria, Garrison, Calla(Nate McCalla), Co & Ce, DayCo, Bunky(Bill "Bunky" Sheppard (I'm pleased to have had as a next door neighbour of ours (when Airwave was sandwiched between him and Mickey Stevenson in The Hollyood and Vine Building))! :)

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A few more-

Mi-Val (Mike Valvano) , Dakar (Carl Davis- It was originally Dacar but changed to avoid confusion with Decca), Bashie ( Carl Davis'

wife Basheba. That's her on the cover of Ramsey Lewis' "Wade In The Water" album) , Kelli- Arts (Carl Davis's daughter Kelli).

Pee Vee (Pancho Villa). Not sure how much involvement he had in Villa Records.

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

B & G, Belinda, Burnie's (Burnie Peacock), Bea & Baby, Big Mack(Ed McCoy), Arvee(Richard Vaughn), Aardell/R-Dell(Bob Ross+), Gallo (Bob Gallo), Fabor(Fabor Robison), Leedon & Lee Gordon Records(Lee Gordon), Candix(Robert Dix and William Canaday Silva), Bea & Baby(Narvel "Cadillac Baby" Eatmon and his wife, Bea), Sims(Russell Sims), Ric & Ron Records (named after Joe Ruffino's 2 sons), J-V (reverse of VJ-Jimmy Bracken and Vivian Carter), Jerden (Jerry Dennon), Khoury's (George Khoury), MSK (Owners of Dearborn Records and a Juke Box distributorship: Martin and Snyder, along with Ed Kaplan (of Kool Kat, and other Detroit labels),

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

DoDe & DoDeRe, Prince(Prince Ella),GJM, Marton(I believe one of the 2 owners was named Martin), Stephanye (after Gene Redd Jr.'s daughter). Sylvia (Al Sears' wife, girlfriend or daughter?)Seroc (Al Sears),

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Arock is also named after Al Sears.  There's also Glad-Hamp (Lionel Hampton), Tru-Glo-Town (Gloria Toote and Ed Townsend), Thomas (Eddie Thomas), Curtom (Curtis Mayfield and Eddie Thomas), Maxx (Larry Maxwell) and Maxwell (Larry Maxwell once again).

Vando= Van McCoy and Douglas 'Jocko' Henderson. 

Best, 

Mark

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!