Bob and Marcia on Tamla

Motown and reggae aren't two words you'd normally associate together however.......

Bob and Marcia "Young Gifted And Black" more commonly seen in the UK on Harry J records was released in the states 23 July 1970 via Tamla 54197.

Was this the only reggae 45 Motown licensed in for distribution?

Wow you learn summat new every day eh?

Derek

Bob & Marcia Young Gifted And Black.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Found one of these in a local record shop last year. One of a number of slightly surprising artists to appear on the Motown stable of labels, such as Jose Feliciano, Bruce Willis, Robert John, Joe Frazier, Lynda Carter, Meat Loaf, etc.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

I've seen this for sale a few times.... Sean Chapman had one a while back... An intriguing addition to the Tamla catalogue.!!

Social source share

Yes, of course the UK strings version.

However, now I'm not sure which version it is on Tamla. It's 3:15 according to the label. My german Fontana (strings vers) copy states 3:11. I just looked up a JA Harry J recording (i.e. no strings) on Youtube, which finishs at 3:15. Puzzled.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

With ska / reggae records, apart from Atlantic in the mid 60's (Ska Kings "Jamaican Ska" was released around the world on Atlantic after the New York guys did a deal with Kingston Jamaica) and Johnny Nash / JAD's involvement from around 1968 to 1972, the mainstream US majors had little contact with reggae.

When a reggae record hit the UK Pop Top 20 charts, US labels would scramble to license the 45 for release in America. Tamla did so with Bob & Marcia .... BUT SO DID THE LIKES OF .......... Uni who licensed "The Israelites" by Desmond Dekker in April 69. Other US labels did similar with other UK reggae hits.

With US Motown following the lead of EMI in the UK with regard to some 'in-house' recordings, it shouldn't be surprising that Motown guys were watching what other 45's were hitting the UK pop charts & signing deals to release em.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!