Junior McCants - death?

Does anyone know the story behind McCants death (and the related story around the aborted release of the "try me for your new love" 45)?

I found this article from a cincinnati newspaper, but it is very hazy on his death. They talk about cancer, but I had also heard something about a motorcycle accident?  

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/history/2014/10/18/mystery-soul-singer-junior-mccants/17532395/

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

FYSA, this is where I heard about motorbike accident...

"I could find very little info on Junior McCants other than that he was from Cincinnati and he usually sang in a falsetto. This was his follow-up single to another great King release #6076; "The Boy Needs a Girl Help My Love” from 1967 which failed to chart but did receive regional air play. On the liner notes to a Kent CD collection called King Northern Soul, it states that McCants died of a brain tumor at the age of 24. But I’ve also read that Junior McCants died in a motorcycle accident when he and King staff songwriter/producer/arranger Charles Spurling went out riding. According to the back story "Try Me for Your New Love" was pulled, in respect for McCants family’s wishes. Only a couple of white label promos saw the light of day, obviously at least one survived"

https://www.amoeba.com/blog/2009/02/the-thing-of-a-thing-of-a-thing-/junior-mccants.html

Social source share

I had always believed it was cancer and although I have no evidence to connect the two - his work place was pretty dire and he was regularly exposed to aluminum dust and coal-tar byproducts. The American union movement have pursued some firms for cancer related deaths especially and lung and bladder cancers and respiratory diseases too. But linking his workplace and his death are entirely my assumptions with limited proof. Not been able to track family either. Stuart Cosgrove

Social source share

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 22/08/2016 at 18:58, Andy Rix said:

I first contacted Charles Spurling in 1999 as I wanted to learn more about the Junior McCants 45. That proved to be fortuitous as Ady started working on the first King Northern Soul CD (CDKEND 185) shortly afterwards.

What Charles said was that Junior was giving him a lift across town on his recently acquired motorbike when he called out that he couldn't see; Charles took control of the bike thus averting an accident. As a result of this sudden onset of vision loss Junior went to the hospital where the diagnosis of a brain tumour was subsequently made. His sad death followed shortly afterwards.

The planned release of 'Try Me For Your New Love' was cancelled as a result.

Charles had a copy of the 45 which he had removed from the King record library ... and I recall that Tony Rounce said when he went through the library that there was a note left where the 45 should have been saying "taken by Charles Spurling" ... or something along those lines.

Charles couldn't find the 45 and upon asking his son discovered that he had taken it to play. Charles tried for a few years to get it back but his son said he had lent it to a friend and subsequently it had disappeared. Who knows where that might have ended up.

The conversation with Charles was used in the sleeve notes for the King CD ... which I'm sure you can still buy .. and I suggest you do if you don't have it

Andy

It seems your info has not reached cincinntti Andy

https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/news/history/2014/10/18/mystery-soul-singer-junior-mccants/17532395/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

that library meeting was 6 years ago i believe and not recently

Andy's info (above Dave about 2016 which nearly ties in) I think I was trying to suggest someone let them know

On 22/08/2016 at 18:58, Andy Rix said:

I first contacted Charles Spurling in 1999 as I wanted to learn more about the Junior McCants 45. That proved to be fortuitous as Ady started working on the first King Northern Soul CD (CDKEND 185) shortly afterwards.

What Charles said was that Junior was giving him a lift across town on his recently acquired motorbike when he called out that he couldn't see; Charles took control of the bike thus averting an accident. As a result of this sudden onset of vision loss Junior went to the hospital where the diagnosis of a brain tumour was subsequently made. His sad death followed shortly afterwards.

The planned release of 'Try Me For Your New Love' was cancelled as a result.

Charles had a copy of the 45 which he had removed from the King record library ... and I recall that Tony Rounce said when he went through the library that there was a note left where the 45 should have been saying "taken by Charles Spurling" ... or something along those lines.

Charles couldn't find the 45 and upon asking his son discovered that he had taken it to play. Charles tried for a few years to get it back but his son said he had lent it to a friend and subsequently it had disappeared. Who knows where that might have ended up.

The conversation with Charles was used in the sleeve notes for the King CD ... which I'm sure you can still buy .. and I suggest you do if you don't have it

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!