Northern Cover Versions

Guest johnny hart

Guest johnny hart

Have you noticed the age old trend of "Versions" of popular tunes is common again ,with dealers/DJs? 

The Groovers "Don't Fight It" tcb =(Wilson Pickett's evergreen a modest £500)

"House For sale"= Mark  Williams(Oz EMI the welsh snooker champion at  £225)

What's your current Favourites/ Pointless selections? 

One of my Faves. ,"That Other Place" = Susan Maughan ( a good attempt at Wade Flemons)

Social source share

I like that 'Susan Maughan - That Other Place' (I think I still have it actually)

This may be the wrong way round, but for years, and I mean years! I have been trying to find out who did a different version of 'Baby Dolls - Got To Get You Into My Life'. I don't actually like the 'Baby Dolls' one - I had a really storming Northern version (Oh yeh - 'Banger') of it on a tape I got mid 80's entitled 'Newies'

In actual fact, I have bought the one I didn't want twice! :huh:

If anyone can help on this I will kiss you!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

NOT THIS ONE! :D

Social source share

Len,

Apart from the well-known covers (Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers and Earth, Wind & Fire), could it have been one of these?

Carmen MacRae (US Atlantic)

The Hands Of Time (US Sidewalk)

Lou Rawls (US MGM)

The Surprise Sisters (UK Good Earth)

The Cole Brothers (US Jamie)

Social source share

2 hours ago, Gene-R said:

Len,

Apart from the well-known covers (Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers and Earth, Wind & Fire), could it have been one of these?

Carmen MacRae (US Atlantic) - No

The Hands Of Time (US Sidewalk) - Couldn't find a sound clip

Lou Rawls (US MGM) - Couldn't find a sound clip (But don't think it's this one)

The Surprise Sisters (UK Good Earth) - No

The Cole Brothers (US Jamie) - Couldn't find a sound clip

See answers above in bold. It had strong horns, and a really powerful female singer, almost screaming it (in a good way) at times - I can't tell you how good it was.

Thanks for efforts - I'm still checking :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

You are so perceptive Len ,I Was referring to the endless seeking of different versions; "What Does It Take" (name. all of those?), "Moving Away" etc, etc and there validity and other such profundities!  LOL Johnny

Social source share

10 hours ago, LEN said:

I like that 'Susan Maughan - That Other Place' (I think I still have it actually)

This may be the wrong way round, but for years, and I mean years! I have been trying to find out who did a different version of 'Baby Dolls - Got To Get You Into My Life'. I don't actually like the 'Baby Dolls' one - I had a really storming Northern version (Oh yeh - 'Banger') of it on a tape I got mid 80's entitled 'Newies'

In actual fact, I have bought the one I didn't want twice! :huh:

If anyone can help on this I will kiss you!

All the best,

NOT THIS ONE! :D

Surely you mean the brilliant Chris Clark version?

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

"You Didn't Say A Word" - Yvonne Baker / Patti Austin

"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" - Velvelettes  / Blue Sharks

"If You Ask Me" Jerry Williams / Chip Tyler (retitled "Because I Love You")

"Right Track" Billy Butler / Denise Lasalle 

"Tainted Love" Gloria Jones/ Soft Cell 

"What' Judy Street / Soft Cell 

"This Thing Called Love" - Johnny Wyatt / Danny Wagner 

"One In A Million" Maxine Brown / Rhetta Hughes 

"The Magic Touch"  Bobby Fuller Four/ Melba Moore 

"I Watched You Slowly Slip Away" Lou Courtney / Howard Guyton

"Do I Love You" Frank Wilson / Chris Clark

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I'll probably get banned for my shameless plugging - but this surely stands up against any of the versions above.

And I guarantee not one of them was recorded in the bedroom . . . Sarah's second favorite recording studio after the kitchen diner! You couldn't make it up could you!! :)

Social source share

11 hours ago, MBarrett said:

I'll probably get banned for my shameless plugging - but this surely stands up against any of the versions above.

And I guarantee not one of them was recorded in the bedroom . . . Sarah's second favorite recording studio after the kitchen diner! You couldn't make it up could you!! :)

Agree with it standing up ok with the others (But not the one I want)

We may come up trumps, if not I will try and dig out the said tape.....then ask how the heck to put a sound clip up from it - You will be blown away I promise :wink:

Social source share

As there have been a couple of posts about "Coming Home", thought I'd pass along this tale (told me by Lou P when I interviewed him @ the Prestatyn weekender).

I played "Coming Home" and asked him what inspired the song .... he told me that when he had left home to go on tour, he had a steady girlfriend. He was out on the road for quite a while & never managed to get home at all (his schedule didn't allow it). His girlfriend would ring him most days & tell him how much she was missing him. In the end, she pleaded with him to make it home, if only for a few hours. After she got quite emotional, he promised her he'd be home in the morning.  . . . . . . . . The call ended & he felt inspired, so using the topic of their discussions, he wrote the song there & then .... END OF STORY ... but I couldn't leave things there ... I asked if he actually did head home the next morning, he laughed and told me ... NO, I didn't, in fact I never saw the girl again ... all the time he was rolling about with laughter while he recounted the tale. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 12:02, LEN said:

We may come up trumps, if not I will try and dig out the said tape.....then ask how the heck to put a sound clip up from it - You will be blown away I promise :wink:

Finally!........After going through a load of stuff up in me loft / then searching through 5 drawers of old tapes, I found the b*stard! Typical that it was in the last row of the last drawer that I was going through! It was actually quite nice going through those drawers (that don't sound right) :D I came across really old tapes that have been given to me over the years of which contained little notes along with the play lists......."Hope there's something new to you Len etc"........ Lots of live tapes as well - It reminded me that there is a 'world' of exciting stuff in our collective tape archive:wink:

I have found someone who can make me a sound file of this version of 'Got To Get You Into My Life' from my tape (The genius that is Steve Scotney) So 'watch this space'

I'll be back shortly..........

Social source share

23 hours ago, LEN said:

Finally!........After going through a load of stuff up in me loft / then searching through 5 drawers of old tapes, I found the b*stard! Typical that it was in the last row of the last drawer that I was going through! It was actually quite nice going through those drawers (that don't sound right) :D I came across really old tapes that have been given to me over the years of which contained little notes along with the play lists......."Hope there's something new to you Len etc"........ Lots of live tapes as well - It reminded me that there is a 'world' of exciting stuff in our collective tape archive:wink:

I have found someone who can make me a sound file of this version of 'Got To Get You Into My Life' from my tape (The genius that is Steve Scotney) So 'watch this space'

I'll be back shortly..........

Right folks, below is the said version of 'Got To Get You Into My Life'

Let me know what you think / who you think it is. I really like it, and if as a result of this thread I finally find out who sang it AND got it somehow, that would end my 30 year search! :wink:

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

01 Got to get you into my life.mp3

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Leonard,

Iam overjoyed that you have found your utopia; "Got to get you into my life" = (sounds like either Petula Clark or possibly Lena Zavaroni) For anyone out there who is still breathing. The original thread Question was Northern Cover versions what's your current  favourite/ pointless Choices? LOL Johnny.

Social source share

1 hour ago, conchitta said:

Leonard,

Iam overjoyed that you have found your utopia; "Got to get you into my life" = (sounds like either Petula Clark or possibly Lena Zavaroni) For anyone out there who is still breathing. The original thread Question was Northern Cover versions what's your current  favourite/ pointless Choices? LOL Johnny.

Crackin' init? :D

I'm sure the thread will get back on track.......if I stop typing........:wink:

Social source share

Although a Motown hit rather than a NS tune, here's another from 'The Jam' never released as far as I know.

Was in a Jam trib band at one time and we used to do 'Move on up' The Jam version, because of Curtis' guitar style and his use of the F chord and it's augmented and diminished variants it really suited the twangy, slashy Rickenbacker sound of Weller.

Edited to add, I guess the most obvious one nowadays is Wellers' version of the Nolan Porter side...

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
Social source share

2 hours ago, conchitta said:

Leonard,

Disappointed to say I'm 99.9% certain that it isn't Lena Zavaroni.

Lena bless her heart, gone but not forgotten.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

30 minutes ago, jam66 said:

Had to revive this thread as I've just come across this stonker, couldn't make it all the way through as I like the Chuck Jackson side.

theres a version by b j thomas which think may be the original version seeing mark charron was the writer

ah yep the youtube page has more info on it all

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Not strictly a contender, but if I heard this anywhere I would be very curious to and what it was, although I know the original by The Beach Boys. A nice tambourine shake and louder guitar back beats......a very under rated version of something I think is 'Morethan Soul':

The Paper Dolls - Darlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJkMxO3bS0

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, that is a matter of opinion of course. It's a great production with real instruments and a thumping beat, plus an excellent song. I think if the name the Paper Dolls was removed and replaced by The Piquinettes or something and on an imported record, it would get played..a little like that Tony Blackburn/Lenny Gamble affair, or Rupert the Bear. I cannot hear anything out of place with the musicianship for sure. I agree the voice is a little soft, but when I first heard it, it ticked the boxes for me. But I love Polly Brown and Pickettywitch lol!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Heard this terrific UK version of 'If This Is Love' by Geno Washington for the first time the other day. Think it might be best version:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!