Very Very Sad News: Ben Lyne (London)

SeanT

It is with the greatest sadness that I am sharing the terrible news that Ben Lyle passed away last week in a accident in Spain. 

Ben was very well known and much loved on the London soul scene.

Many of his friends will already know from Ben's Facebook page, where there are already many tributes and heart felt messages. I'm passing on the message here for anybody that is not on Facebook and knows Ben.

Ben's got into northern as a young London mod in the 80s and soon was a familiar face at the 100 Club and many other clubs. Like many of us he had a spell away from the scene as live took over, however he returned to the scene a number of years ago, which is when I first met him. 

His passion for soul was enormous, as was his passion for life. He was a great dancer, and respected DJ and collector. He always had a smile and a warm welcome for his friends, and was such a lovely man and dear, dear friend.

He will be missed missed terribly by all who knew him.

Our thoughts are with his partner Carmel and his family.

Please PM me if you knew Ben and would like to get in touch.

With tears and sorrow,
Sean and Talita.

IMG_0667.JPG

Edited by SeanT
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Polyvelts

This is such a sudden shock and still hasn't sunk in, I was even hoping to see him tonight after not seeing him for a few months.

Ben was a smashing bloke who would always greet you with a big smile and was full of fun and laughter.

I will miss you Mate and can't believe I won't see you again.

Condolencies to his family and Carmel and to you Sean, I know what big mates you were.

RIP Ben.

Rob R

Social source share

That is a shock, any news on what happened Sean?  Through the summer the papers here are full of Brits that either fall from balconies or drown, but they are never usually identified, unless it's a celeb that has been stabbed.   I didn't know Ben that well, but losing anyone on the scene is like losing a relative, albeit a distant one in most cases.  RIP Ben

Social source share

3 hours ago, polyvelts said:

This is such a sudden shock and still hasn't sunk in, I was even hoping to see him tonight after not seeing him for a few months.

Ben was a smashing bloke who would always greet you with a big smile and was full of fun and laughter.

I will miss you Mate and can't believe I won't see you again.

Condolencies to his family and Carmel and to you Sean, I know what big mates you were.

RIP Ben.

Rob R

Hi Rob,

thank you for your message. Ben was my best and closest friend, such a lovely man and genuine, true friend.

we are devastated and just trying to come to terms with it.

many thanks

sean

Social source share

Hi Dave, we don't have many details as yet, other than it was a drowning accident.

Ben and Carmel brought a house in Spain which he was renovating. He loved the place and was looking forward to retiring there.

all best

sean

Social source share

24 minutes ago, SeanT said:

Hi Dave, we don't have many details as yet, other than it was a drowning accident.

Ben and Carmel brought a house in Spain which he was renovating. He loved the place and was looking forward to retiring there.

all best

sean

There have been 11 drownings this summer on the costa del sol alone, they employ lifeguards too, though I've not witnessed or heard of any of them getting more than their feet wet.  Such a shame.  My condolences to all his family and those that loved him.

Dave 

Social source share

Terribly sad news. Ben was such a genuine, warm and friendly person who always spent time to say hello and have a chat when you met him out and about. He was one of the first friends Denise and I made when we started going to soul do's in London and we'll both miss him badly. 

Our condolences to his family, Carmel and to you Sean as he was your best mate.

RIP Ben

Mike & Denise

Social source share

Guest Heather Kent

I moved to London 10 years ago - the first few years were tough as people have their own friendship circles and though people are polite you dont really make good mates with people at this age - BUT THEN I met Ben - always a smile and a friendly word and so it went on for a good few years.  We became real mates just a short time ago really,  he stayed at my house at Christmas 2012 - he was coming just for Christmas dinner, 10 DAYS LATER we were still laughing, exchanging stories, hopes, and dreams all to the music we love; of course Northern!  How great to finally have such a good pal, some one you could trust with your life!!! .  We spent many times together at northern events - or just hanging out, a phone call, a FB message, just like mates do.  We are meeting when he gets back from Spain - BUT of course we are not!!!!  I am shocked and saddened, inconsolable for me, for all his family and friends but most of all for him - a lad who knew how to live.

Ben was a man of integrity, honour and good morals - he was my friend, my real MATE! my heart is broken, my tears are many, my memories are precious;  I think of  his vivacity and love of life, his honesty, humour, derermination in all he did, his sense of fairness, all in all he was an easy going rogue and gent at the same time.  I love that lad with all my heart, I loved the way he danced, smiled, and laughed from the bottom of his boots till it roared from his mouth, his honour, his love and knowledge of music, his ability to welcome people and put them at ease, his protective instincts, his sheer love of life - he was a lad full of life, you could not fail to enjoy times spent in his company.  The world of those that knew him is not as bright today without him; our hearts are aching, yes time will help but I and many will never forget our LOVELY DIAMOND OF A LAD BEN LYNE - may you rest in peace my lovely mate - my thoughts are with his family, friends and all who knew him - WE HAVE LOST ONE OF THE VERY VERY BEST - xxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Guest samuisoul

Still struggling to come to terms with this tragic news.

I lived in  London for a couple of years before moving out to Spain and have many happy memories of great nights out with Ben, Sean and Barry round the soul clubs of London.

Ben was the best kind of fella, but one that is all too rare.........what you saw was what you got. No airs or graces or pretence, just a genuine and likeable bloke.

Once he bought his place in Spain we spoke a couple of times about meeting up out here for a beer and a catch up. Sadly other things always seemed to get in the way ......... distance and other commitments.

Time really will pass you by so don't sweat the small stuff and live life to the full ......... just like Ben did.

RIP Ben, you will be sadly missed.

God Bless ya mate!

Jim

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Following quite a long delay whilst admin was sorted out, we now have a date and time for Ben's funeral:

Friday 11th November at 12pm:

Hendon Crematorium
Holders Hill Road
London NW7 1NB

Following the funeral, we invite you to join us for a reception at:

The Adam & Eve Pub
Mill Hill Village
London NW7 1RL

His family asks that as Ben didn't like a fuss so we ask that in lieu of flowers - please donate to Royal National Lifeboat Institution: www.rnli.org/donate

A soul night will be arranged shortly afterwards to honour Ben's memory. I will post details as soon as I have them.

Rest in peace brother.

Sean

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

We are holding a soul night as a tribute to Ben on 4th Feb, details are in events. All are welcome!

A tribute night dedicated to our good friend Ben Lyne. A Celebration of a great heart, let's live, love and dance and do him proud!
We'll be playing a mix of northern and crossover soul that he loved, including ones from his own impressive collection.

All are welcome! 

DJs: Sean Towers, Ged & Jim from XRay Soul, Richard Corbyn (The State Were In), Tom Jenkins (Northern Soul Line), Glen Goodwin (Hole in the Wall).

Feb 4th 8PM - 1AM

The Bell - 50 Middlesex Street - London E1 7EX

Near Liverpool Street

Edited by SeanT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/01/2017 at 20:31, SeanT said:

Hi All,

We are holding a soul night as a tribute to Ben on 4th Feb, details are in events. All are welcome!

A tribute night dedicated to our good friend Ben Lyne. A Celebration of a great heart, let's live, love and dance and do him proud!
We'll be playing a mix of northern and crossover soul that he loved, including ones from his own impressive collection.

All are welcome! 

DJs: Sean Towers, Ged & Jim from XRay Soul, Richard Corbyn (The State Were In), Tom Jenkins (Northern Soul Line), Glen Goodwin (Hole in the Wall).

Feb 4th 8PM - 1PM

The Bell - 50 Middlesex Street - London E1 7EX

Near Liverpool Street

Blimey that's what I call an all-niter Sean, I'll be there. Is this up on Facebook Mate ? I've just posted it on Solid Hit page

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!