Voices of East Harlem

Mal C

Totally besotted with the Voices again, happens every 6 months... Love all their music, and that clip on you tube of their appearance along side BB King back in the seventies... Raw and sublime it is! 

I've realised how little I know about the group though, lots of members,  tons of releases, anybody got the low down on how they came together... And maybe members can put up their favourite tracks...

come on you seventies nuts, let's be avin it! 

Mal

----

*Remember don't reply to a clip post unless you delete the link, kills the thread! 

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

Mal If it's any interest I saw them live at the Isle Of Wight Rock Festival in 1970. The one they call the British Woodstock.

I've always had pretty broad musical tastes so a long weekend of rock was fine with me. (We are talking Hendrix, Doors, Who, Moodies and many more)

But suddenly on to the stage came this band of kids I had never heard of (i.e. Voices of East Harlem) and they absolutely blew me away.

Now the date on that You Tube film says 18th August 1970 so I saw them definitely within a fortnight of that - maybe not much more than a week.

I bought the vinyl album - Right On Be Free - as soon as I could get a copy and somewhere along the line replaced it with a CD. I was due to start a college course shortly after that festival and kept trying to tell people about this amazing group I had seen but I couldn't get the message through. I think it was seeing them live in the middle of all those pretty heavy rock acts that absolutely knocked my socks off.

I was just a punter at the IOW so have nothing specific to the VOEH but I did keep a few bits of memorabilia from the festival which are up in the loft. I might drag them out in a bit and remind myself what is there. And a bit later I might play the whole ROBF album through from beginning to end. It really is a superb album.

Anyway that's my contribution to the thread. Hope it is of some interest.

Mark

Social source share

48 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Mal If it's any interest I saw them live at the Isle Of Wight Rock Festival in 1970. The one they call the British Woodstock.

I've always had pretty broad musical tastes so a long weekend of rock was fine with me. (We are talking Hendrix, Doors, Who, Moodies and many more)

But suddenly on to the stage came this band of kids I had never heard of (i.e. Voices of East Harlem) and they absolutely blew me away.

Now the date on that You Tube film says 18th August 1970 so I saw them definitely within a fortnight of that - maybe not much more than a week.

I bought the vinyl album - Right On Be Free - as soon as I could get a copy and somewhere along the line replaced it with a CD. I was due to start a college course shortly after that festival and kept trying to tell people about this amazing group I had seen but I couldn't get the message through. I think it was seeing them live in the middle of all those pretty heavy rock acts that absolutely knocked my socks off.

I was just a punter at the IOW so have nothing specific to the VOEH but I did keep a few bits of memorabilia from the festival which are up in the loft. I might drag them out in a bit and remind myself what is there. And a bit later I might play the whole ROBF album through from beginning to end. It really is a superb album.

Anyway that's my contribution to the thread. Hope it is of some interest.

Mark

Wow, that's the kinda stories we love... Always thought you had to see them live, that kinda group...  thanks Mark..:-))

Social source share

39 minutes ago, northern295 said:

a very topical topic for me. I haven't listened / bought much from this group, but last week heard their "Gotta be a change" track on the ROBF album - now in the box !

alan

Killer Allan, you can pretty much buy blind with them, they didn't make a crap song...

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Luckily I know my way round that loft so here are a few bits and pieces

1. Flyer that somehow went home with me and survived

2. Newspaper format programme that somehow went home with me and survived

3. Little bit about the VOEH. This is the bit that might be of interest to you Mal. Association with Hendrix etc. etc. It might be him who got them the gig there, but I'm only guessing.

4. My tent and Lammy. Look at that crazy mod I did. It was a 300 mile round trip so I needed a bit of extra comfort. Cobbled together a seat out of wood, foam rubber and vinyl and coupled it with a rear back rest!! I remember going across on the ferry. At least 100 motorbikes accompanied by some fairly heavy dudes . . . . . . . . and me! LOL! :) To be honest I couldn't give a stuff. I thought if something's going to happen let it happen. And amazingly it didn't.

Anyway don't want to take over the thread (or get it moved to Freebasing!) so that's me done. Hopefully I've added a little something!! :)

Mark 

PS Should have said. 18 days after his appearance here Hendrix was dead. What crazy days they were!

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

That's just blinding isn't it...  I'm sure there is another version, I asked this of John Browne, he didn't know, I thought Ian Levine said he had another version of this track, can't remember who by, was on one of his shows...

m

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

18 hours ago, MBarrett said:

Luckily I know my way round that loft so here are a few bits and pieces

1. Flyer that somehow went home with me and survived

2. Newspaper format programme that somehow went home with me and survived

3. Little bit about the VOEH. This is the bit that might be of interest to you Mal. Association with Hendrix etc. etc. It might be him who got them the gig there, but I'm only guessing.

4. My tent and Lammy. Look at that crazy mod I did. It was a 300 mile round trip so I needed a bit of extra comfort. Cobbled together a seat out of wood, foam rubber and vinyl and coupled it with a rear back rest!! I remember going across on the ferry. At least 100 motorbikes accompanied by some fairly heavy dudes . . . . . . . . and me! LOL! :) To be honest I couldn't give a stuff. I thought if something's going to happen let it happen. And amazingly it didn't.

Anyway don't want to take over the thread (or get it moved to Freebasing!) so that's me done. Hopefully I've added a little something!! :)

Mark 

PS Should have said. 18 days after his appearance here Hendrix was dead. What crazy days they were!

IMG_2280.JPG

Mark - that line-up is fantastic - it makes Glastonbury look even more lame!   Miles, Jimi, Joni, Sly, Who, Doors,!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And there all-time Northern Soul classic deserves a mention!

"Cashing In" - Just Sunshine Records.

If this record was rare it would sell for a very high price!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Bought 'Can You Feel It' LP ages ago for 'Take a Stand' but hadn't appreciated all the other top tunes from it posted up here - Amazing Love, Rare so Rare, Just got to be myself - will be digging it out for another play :thumbsup:

'Take a Stand' an absolute blinder for me. Remember seeing it on Allanton playlists from late 80's - bet it sounded good there. Don't recall ever hearing it out myself.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!