Pinkertones on Queen G - what's the story?

First off, big shout to Trevski for putting me on to this 20 years ago. About three dozen copies of this San Diego masterpiece have featured on Popsike in the last few years. So, does anyone know where the stock turned up and in what quantity. Two years ago, Rockaway Records in L.A.had a copy up for $400; this summer, Amoeba in Hollywood had a copy for $150. Barely a week goes by without one up for sale and now the price has tumbled. So, what's the story behind one of the best finds in recent years?

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Punctuation
Social source share

pretty sure someone in the US - California has them. About 18 months ago a record dealer in Oregon brought one to a record show and says it was 'NOS and unplayed' - not sure how he knew that, and it was the only thing like it that he had, I bought it for a reasonable price and I heard some buzz about a find so I immediately flipped it. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, George G said:

pretty sure someone in the US - California has them. About 18 months ago a record dealer in Oregon brought one to a record show and says it was 'NOS and unplayed' - not sure how he knew that, and it was the only thing like it that he had, I bought it for a reasonable price and I heard some buzz about a find so I immediately flipped it. 

Thanks George. I suspect the find was made in Southern California, possibly Los Angeles. Am really interested in who came across them and how.

Social source share

Just now, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Now they are really coming out of the woodwork but where did the bulk-find turn up?

the seller I mention above is from Inglewood....I've seen several of his sales so he could be a good place to start, looks like the same scan too for each sale.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

I saw this too and thought it optimistic. Mind you, if that's what you paid for it, then it's reasonable to expect that in return...unless of course, a ton of them turn up.

UK prices are often ridiculous, you only have to look at discogs to realise that UK sellers do not care what is happening around them.  They are often two three and four times dearer than foreign sellers on discogs so a UK seller trying to get twice as much as this is selling for on eBay doesn't surprise me.  Two copies of the Pinkertones soldon ebay within the last month or so by the same seller for I think $117 and $137. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, chalky said:

UK prices are often ridiculous, you only have to look at discogs to realise that UK sellers do not care what is happening around them.  They are often two three and four times dearer than foreign sellers on discogs so a UK seller trying to get twice as much as this is selling for on eBay doesn't surprise me.  Two copies of the Pinkertones soldon ebay within the last month or so by the same seller for I think $117 and $137. 

You sometimes get that impression looking at the range of prices a specific record is on sale for. That said, if a dealer has paid handsomely for a rare record, then it is understandable if they want a high return. Also, always worth chancing your luck as in the case of Tommy in LA just recently picking up well over a £100 for a worn copy, presumably one that had been in a collection for decades.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The flip side 'It's not who you are (but what you can do)' which is a lovely mid-tempo tune can be found can be found  on an album by Eddie Gross 'Guantanamo Bay' on Queen G -QCS - 10772  released in 1972.  Gross was the lead voice on The Pinkertons 45. The San Diego connection and the fact that the LP was recorded in Norfolk, Virginia suggest that Eddie was a serving in the US navy. The LP which I have has a picture of him at the naval base in Cuba. It's a good album incidentally, decidedly idiosyncratic. The LP has Eddie's home address in San Diego as the distribution point. I suspect the stash of 45s came from the same source.

This information was published in John Lias' magnificent latest book 'The Story of the Soul LP - Spinning Around'.  He and his researchers that include Sirshambling and The BIg AC have unearthed literally dozens of unknown or unpublished facts like above. It's a must have book that is selling well I believe.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Stormcock said:

The flip side 'It's not who you are (but what you can do)' which is a lovely mid-tempo tune can be found can be found  on an album by Eddie Gross 'Guantanamo Bay' on Queen G -QCS - 10772  released in 1972.  Gross was the lead voice on The Pinkertons 45. The San Diego connection and the fact that the LP was recorded in Norfolk, Virginia suggest that Eddie was a serving in the US navy. The LP which I have has a picture of him at the naval base in Cuba. It's a good album incidentally, decidedly idiosyncratic. The LP has Eddie's home address in San Diego as the distribution point. I suspect the stash of 45s came from the same source.

This information was published in John Lias' magnificent latest book 'The Story of the Soul LP - Spinning Around'.  He and his researchers that include Sirshambling and The BIg AC have unearthed literally dozens of unknown or unpublished facts like above. It's a must have book that is selling well I believe.

Thanks for this info. I am curious to know if it is indeed Eddie's stash that is coming to market. Whoever tracked down the hoard has done well to locate a great tune that, although known from a small number of copies, has remained very scarce until fairly recently. A few San Diego dealers auction rare soul records regularly but the facts behind this particular find are buried deep at present.

Social source share

4 hours ago, dave pinch said:

This record hit £500 at its peak...  Chalky is correct on this .... And not just the eBay copies.. Some guys have done private deals on this too... .. Still a great record but only worth £100 max today here in the uk

Sure, there have been plenty of private sales with plenty of UK dealers listing it. I would imagine they took a couple of copies each. Add that to those that have dribbled out on eBay and Discogs etc and there are 50 plus in circulation. The LA/SD finder has certainly managed the 'bringing to market' process shrewdly and kept the source secret. I wonder how many more Pinkertones are going to be up for sale in the future and what price it will eventually settle at?

Social source share

33 minutes ago, chalky said:

He might have kept the source secret but it has been no secret that he has had or got quantity.....been obvious for some time now.  Fair few copies about before his find as well.

Yes, the cat's been out of the bag a while now. But who did the finding, where was the stash hidden and how come they got their hands on the goods? If this person was sitting on a load of Mickie Champions and June Jacksons, wouldn't you like to know?

Social source share

1 hour ago, vadnochka said:

Speaking of Mickie Champions - seems to be appearing almost every week on ebay - almost always in immaculate nick - maybe there is a load of these. June Jackson appears a different kettle of fish though.

Frostie

True. One on there now. Another minter a month or so back. Perhaps San Diego has been mostly overlooked due to the limited recording output and shortage of record stores but is now yielding the better stuff.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!