soul people on the TV or in movies

Guest Spain pete

Guest Spain pete

Been watching reruns of ironside recently .wondered about links with soul singers .producers. Musicians etc etc don't know if this has been done before but would be interesting if you good people had any stories to tell .Pam Grier springs to mind in Jackie brown?????

Social source share

James McEachin who was involved with the Furys as a writer/producer, and early Otis Redding, had a long running career as an actor and turned up in many TV series.  If you watch a lot of daytime TV you could probably see him quite often.    

Social source share

Always wondered about the actor Morris Chestnut Jnr. Searches on the net have failed to confirm his father is the Morris Chestnut of Too Darn Soulful fame, but stands a chance as it's gotta be an unusual name Morris (Lamont) Chestnut. 
He was born in California in 1969, so kinda lines up as the right age for a child of a 60's singer.
btw I'm thoroughly enjoying the series Rosewood starring Morris Chestnut Jnr, it's kinda like a re-imagining of Quincy :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

One on a British tip .Kenny lynch appeared in numerous things but the one l remember him for was till death us do part ,as Alf's son in law a very funny scene.  love his take on moving away???

Social source share

1 hour ago, purist said:

Always wondered about the actor Morris Chestnut Jnr. Searches on the net have failed to confirm his father is the Morris Chestnut of Too Darn Soulful fame, but stands a chance as it's gotta be an unusual name Morris (Lamont) Chestnut. 
He was born in California in 19I thought I'd rea 69, so kinda lines up as the right age for a child of a 60's singer.
btw I'm thoroughly enjoying the series Rosewood starring Morris Chestnut Jnr, it's kinda like a re-imagining of Quincy :yes:

I thought it was confirmed at some point that it is his son?  May have been a previous topic or elsewhere?

Social source share

6 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Been watching reruns of ironside recently .wondered about links with soul singers .producers. Musicians etc etc don't know if this has been done before but would be interesting if you good people had any stories to tell .Pam Grier springs to mind in Jackie brown?????

Well.........................not sure what version of Ironside you're watching but in the original series the black actor Don Mitchell used date Shawn Robinson of My dear heart fame.

Social source share

4 hours ago, purist said:

He was born in California in 1969, so kinda lines up as the right age for a child of a 60's singer.

3 hours ago, chalky said:

I thought it was confirmed at some point that it is his son?  May have been a previous topic or elsewhere?

Spoke to him a few years back and he confirmed his son was an actor and he was in Boyz In The Hood. 

Social source share

On 1 September 2016 at 23:37, SHEFFSOUL said:

isaac Hayes..

Together with Dionne Warwick in at least one episode of the Rockford Files

And together with Al Matthews along with Taurean Blacque (Hill St Blues) and Antonio Fargas (the original Huggy Bear) in Ian McShane's excellent tv comedy drama from 1995 "Soul Survivors"

And together with Antonio Fargas again along with Bernie Casey, Jim Brown and the Wayans family in "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"

Social source share

On 1 September 2016 at 13:14, Paul r said:

Lesley Uggams famously was a main character in the original version of Roots.

Paul

Add to that "Chicken George" actor Ben Vereen

Dorian Harewood who played Alex Haley's father Simon in the second series of Roots recorded an album for Ichiban

Meanwhile Harry Belafonte in "Uptown Saturday Night" starring Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby - theme written and produced by Van McCoy and sung by Bill Harris

Lou Rawls in, er, Baywatch/Baywatch Nights

Philip Michael Thomas in Miami Vice

Is former Motown recording artist Bruce Willis allowed?

Social source share

Guest Mike Gott
On 02/09/2016 at 16:45, jamesh said:

(Leslie Uggams) She even gets a mention in The Simpsons!

and.....she guested in The Muppet Show. I can remember sitting there having my tea one night around the Cleethorpes Pier era - my local venue - and the Muppets came on. I wasn't taking much notice when Kermit said "welcome to theMuppet Show, with our special guest star, Leslie Uggams!" I spluttered on my tea as my Mum and Dad chorused in with the usual "Who? Nobody's ever heard of any of these American guests" etc...........

Leslieuggams.jpg

Edited by Mike Gott
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Y'all missing an obvious one Mr hatcher in blue juice a 1995 surfing film starring as singer Ossie sands .oh and keb darge bless em both 

Social source share

Mel Carter (of "The Love Test" - wink, wink, nudge, nudge -say no more!)  had a long career as an actor in films and TV.

Cuba Gooding Jr. a long-time actor.  His father being a Soul singer.

Adam Wade (perhaps marginal as a Soul singer) was a lng time actor in TV series, and host of a couple TV game shows.

Social source share

Hiya, remember watching a beach/ hot rod movie on c4 very early nineties featuring  jimmy Radcliffe and  his music  plus in the late seventies saw a fair few lowrider/ drag racing low budget movies featuring various artists but can't remember who.  Not much help there then.  Ps the jimmy Radcliffe film was black and white early/mid sixties.  Cheers

Social source share

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:04, Missing Link said:

Curtis Mayfield singing 'Pusherman' in the 'Superfly' movie.

Curtis Mayfield is in Dirty Harry, the nut who is doing all the killing is being followed by Clint, so he goes to some derelict building and pays Curtis Mayfield to fill him in therefore making it look like police harassment and brutality on Clints part, hilarious bit is where the freak calls Curtis a black mutha f-----, so Curtis gives him another good hiding and says "this ones on the house"

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chris L said:

They also appeared in a dreadful teen flick "Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini machine"

Sounds like it was another American International movie. They specialized in low budget movies aimed at teenagers- "The Ghost In The 

Invisible Bikini", "Muscle Beach Party", "Bleach Blanket Bingo", "Bikini Beach", "It's A Bikini World", "Ski Party" etc. etc.

But... on the plus side they usually featured at least one Soul act in their movies (The Supremes, James Brown, The Toys, Stevie Wonder) .

Edited by the yank
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!