I wonder what planet he is from?

Paul Capon

I have nice little Jackie Ross 45 'Who could be loving you / Don't change your mind - Fountain demo vg+.

Two nice sides, lovingly looked after and played by numerous unknown people since it was pressed in 1969 some 47 years ago and has even survived a trip across the Atlantic.

This record is listed amongst 13 other copies on a well know web site.

Yesterday I received a message

'Are you open to offers on this record?'

My price? The princely sum of £5.90!!

I politely said sure - I'd accept £5.89.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest outoftheboxagain

I have a copy of this, although not on a demo. play both side on a regular basis, one of my favorite sounds. £5.89 seems a bargain!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Hi Souler,

Probably the same planet as me and Richard Branson and Phillip Green(both billionaires) who cannot resist asking for a discount or is that your best price? Before you scream four I've had a few business 's my biggest failure Car Sales,useless lost thousands its an "art" look at John Manship selling vastly overpriced items like hot cakes! Discogs has pages of soul dealers with "make an offer " on cheapies I fall for it and agree to a bog off or free postage on multiples, Elementary pshycology my dear , LOL ,Johnny.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

In my opinion John Manship has become like the "Sotheby's" of soul dealers and auctions.... It may be expensive, but if you REALLY want that mint copy of a certain record, you know what is going to arrive on your doorstep... Not some 45 with a highly exaggerated record grading.... Hence the guys continued business.

Social source share

10 hours ago, souler said:

I have nice little Jackie Ross 45 'Who could be loving you / Don't change your mind - Fountain demo vg+.

Two nice sides, lovingly looked after and played by numerous unknown people since it was pressed in 1969 some 47 years ago and has even survived a trip across the Atlantic.

This record is listed amongst 13 other copies on a well know web site.

Yesterday I received a message

'Are you open to offers on this record?'

My price? The princely sum of £5.90!!

I politely said sure - I'd accept £5.89.....

Scotland ?

I'm just kiding -but I've always heard about that reputation and the only Scot that I know is really really stingy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Soulskate70 said:

In my opinion John Manship has become like the "Sotheby's" of soul dealers and auctions.... It may be expensive, but if you REALLY want that mint copy of a certain record, you know what is going to arrive on your doorstep... Not some 45 with a highly exaggerated record grading.... Hence the guys continued business.

fair point, your also guaranteed  authenticity.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70
22 hours ago, geeselad said:

But there not as bad as most orders from abroad, from people with mixed feedback, just got one, from a guy, in the us buying a 2,99 tune, the post is going to be at least, £7.80, he's got 66% feedback, and before I even read it i'm like.... here we go again.

You're brave!!!! If I see someone with feedback like that I steer well clear!!! I've purchased a few with slightly exaggerated grades, but on the whole I've been pretty lucky so far... the best being when I I bought a copy of "Love Makes The  World Go Around " by Odds and Ends and the seller threw in a copy of "Make Me Try" for free.... Nice US seller!,,

Social source share

I've recently started selling off my collection in bits and bobs, just advertising here on SS and on Facebook, and have to say I've been surprised at what little haggling I've experienced. Maybe only two or three folk have asked if I take a lower price, and even then it's been really quite polite! I was braced for a shark attack of shrewd buyers, smelling the blood of a seller who has been off the scene for decades and out of touch with prices, but no. I even took to inviting "reasonable" offers in my last list - sold all 9 but with only one reduced price!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Alan Walls said:

I've recently started selling off my collection in bits and bobs, just advertising here on SS and on Facebook, and have to say I've been surprised at what little haggling I've experienced. Maybe only two or three folk have asked if I take a lower price, and even then it's been really quite polite! I was braced for a shark attack of shrewd buyers, smelling the blood of a seller who has been off the scene for decades and out of touch with prices, but no. I even took to inviting "reasonable" offers in my last list - sold all 9 but with only one reduced price!

That just means your prices are reasonable anyway, so people are happy to obtain the record without bothering to ask for discount.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!