Bob Relf, Bob and Earl, Bobby Garrett

• Replies 93
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

6 hours ago, ady croasdell said:

Not the JB Bobby Byrd, it's the real name for Bobby Day.

Yes, The Bobby Byrd who formed The Flames in 1949, who later became The Hollywood Flames.  Interesting that James Brown's backing group, with the OTHER Bobby Byrd, was called The famous FLAMES.  Enough coincidence to cause some confusion.  But, it was total coincidence, as one group was in L.A. and one in Georgia, and both Bobby Byrds' names were never prominent nor in the public's view at the same time.  The Hollywood Flames were gone by late 1966, and Byrd had been out of the group for a few years, before Brown allowed HIS Bobby Byrd to "come out a bit from under his own shadow".

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/5/2016 at 14:13, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Hi Frank, as anyone who reads my input will know I know nothing about records and I've had a lot of luck recently researching the ones I do have that I've had for years, so is this the yellow TRANS release or just another copy?

20161205_140553.jpg

20161205_140603.jpg

20161205_140611.jpg

I believe this is a legitimate release, I have the same one and sources say all originals carry the 'circle with the V' stamp.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

I believe this is a legitimate release, I have the same one and sources say all originals carry the 'circle with the V' stamp.

The circle with drumsticks is for the mastering company, Artisan. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 8 months later...
On 09/08/2017 at 23:59, Soul-Slider said:

I've got this copy and was told it was a bootleg. However the sound quality is first rate so it might be legal reissue. 

Dave 

Edited by Only Dreaming
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Only Dreaming said:

I've got this copy and always thought it was a bootleg. However the sound quality is first rate so always thought it might be legal reissue. 

Dave 

The circle with a V is actually a Snare Drum and two drumsticks and is the mark of the pressing plant. The Trans issue with the drum in the runout as I understand it is a legitimate  third issue.

Social source share

17 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The circle with a V is actually a Snare Drum and two drumsticks and is the mark of the pressing plant. The Trans issue with the drum in the runout as I understand it is a legitimate  third issue.

No it isn't. I have already said above it is for the studio & mastering company Artisan Sound Recorders, not the pressing plant.

L-267310-1503061414-8682.jpeg.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

It is not a snare drum and sticks it just looks that way , ( it's just the "A" of Artisan and a record ) , and it is NOT the mark of the pressing plant , it is the mark of the mastering company Artisan ( as stated earlier by Karl ) and the stamp is their company logo ... :thumbsup:

L-267310-1328838535.jpeg.jpg

The "Trans" copies are boots/unofficial pressings. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

It is not a snare drum and sticks it just looks that way , ( it's just the "A" of Artisan and a record ) , and it is NOT the mark of the pressing plant , it is the mark of the mastering company Artisan ( as stated earlier by Karl ) and the stamp is their company logo ... :thumbsup:

L-267310-1328838535.jpeg.jpg

The "Trans" copies are boots/unofficial pressings. 

Pants. Yes I did read your post at the time Chalks about Artisan sorry. So, are these the pressings commissioned by Michel Soussan then? If so I'm even more buzzing, I'm very keen on 70's boots as a historical area of collecting! Also addressing this to Woodbutcher!

Social source share

32 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Pants. Yes I did read your post at the time Chalks about Artisan pressing plant. So, are these the pressings commissioned by Michel Soussan then? If so I'm even more buzzing, I'm very keen on 70's boots as a historical area of collecting! Also addressing this to Woodbutcher!

Again Artisan isn't a pressing plant, it was a studio and a mastering company.  Once mastered some other company did the pressing.

Is Michel Soussan related to Simon?

Those with he Artisan mastering stamp are originals.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, chalky said:

Again Artisan isn't a pressing plant, it was a studio and a mastering company.  Once mastered some other company did the pressing.

Michel is his given name I think . 

The "Trans" pressings from '75 also have the Artisan stamp , leastways mine has it leading to me believing it to be a legit 45 , but have been told umpteen times by umpteen 'experts' over the 30-odd years I've had it that it's a boot pressed up for the scene by the label owner at the request of the light-fingered one ... so it's a bit of a grey area still in my mind ... :g:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, chalky said:

C'mon Chalks, you know I don't know much, now I'm confused. So it is a legit reissue? Yes Simon Soussan's real name was Michel, didn't you know? Wish I had an alias, I'd switch to it at times like this!

So mine has the Artisan stamp, and is a genuine legit third issue? Is that it? I don't know it all and one thing I like about SS is the fact that I learn stuff, I don't BS and hopefully learn stuff about the records I love!

1 minute ago, WoodButcher said:

Michel is his given name I think . 

The "Trans" pressings from '75 also have the Artisan stamp , leastways mine has it leading to me believing it to be a legit 45 , but have been told umpteen times by umpteen 'experts' over the 30-odd years I've had it that it's a boot pressed up for the scene by the label owner at the request of the light-fingered one ... so it's a bit of a grey area still in my mind ... :g:

Also my understanding of it!

Social source share

Or the new stampers used for the 'reissue' were also done by Artisan which would be logical.

What we need are nice clean images of the deadwax details of the Trans-American and Trans pressings to see if they were both from the same plates or two different masters.

No doubt they were from the original master-tape but whether labels kept all the old stampers in an archive is another question , as they are pretty delicate and wear out quite quickly I'd guess that they were binned after use and new ones cut as required ... especially some 8 years later as with this 45 ... ?

Edited by WoodButcher
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Or the new stampers used for the 'reissue' were also done by Artisan which would be logical.

What we need are nice clean images of the deadwax details of the Trans-American and Trans pressings to see if they were both from the same plates or two different masters.

No doubt they were from the original master-tape but whether labels kept all the old stampers in an archive is another question , as they are pretty delicate and wear out quite quickly I'd guess that they were binned after use and new ones cut as required ... especially some 8 years later as with this 45 ... ?

It's a lovely 45, crisp clear, loud, I have no interest in it's value, to me it is a prized artefact, when I put it on it is just superb! I have a few 45s not all crap either! 😉

Social source share

59 minutes ago, chalky said:

He wouldn't be the first label owner to run a press of a release at the behest of someone on the scene.  Major Bill was another.  If it is from the label owner and has the stamp of Artisan he was using the original plates.

My understanding is that when Soussan went on one of his visits he commissioned a press on the grounds of it getting plays on the UK scene. I have to say, for all his dodgy dealings getting a repress done for the UK scene which the labels and artists didn't know about is one of the man's finest accomplishments, we know he did some dodgy deals but he did help some of the artists out which can only be a good thing!

Social source share

12 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

My understanding is that when Soussan went on one of his visits he commissioned a press on the grounds of it getting plays on the UK scene. I have to say, for all his dodgy dealings getting a repress done for the UK scene which the labels and artists didn't know about is one of the man's finest accomplishments, we know he did some dodgy deals but he did help some of the artists out which can only be a good thing!

The label obviously knew about it ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I meant the labels not knowing that the records were getting spins over here in UK. But then you knew that of course, unless it was a comprehension issue rather than a pedantry one 😉

Other label owners were getting requests from UK people for records to be released. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Another 'anomoly'...this time the Mirwood Sherlie Matthews 45.

Another Soussan press? 

Am I right in thinking the legitimate release is on the Inferno UK LP from the mid 1980's?

Pretty sure this has been discussed before but thought I'd re-release it (pardon the pun!) as we are on a Mirwood trip. 

shirlie-matthews-my-sugar-baby-mirwood.jpg.e0e3e5045a942b29ae5290ec17ef2c97.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Brilliant stuff lads, Mirwood such a good label, so many killer sounds. I'm sure it's been discussed many times but it would be nice to my mind to have a comprehensive discussion about all things Mirwood, with sounds posted, cheers fellas!  Lasses like the Mirwoods too, be nice to have some female views on fave sounds from the label as well!

Social source share

On 28/04/2018 at 18:13, the yank said:

One of the very finest tunes to ever grace the old Northern soul scene. Been firmly in my top ten all time faves since the very first time I heard it in 72. 

Given the sheer volume of output on Mirwood, most played for the first time during the scenes early 70's heyday, and 99% of which was absolutely top drawer, surely there is a case for this label to be viewed as the finest ever for Northern tunes? I can't think of another, outside of the real majors such as Motown and Stax/Atlantic, which could even begin to come close. And that's including Ric-Tic, Golden World, Parkway etc. 

Social source share

On 29/04/2018 at 17:54, Soul-Slider said:

Another 'anomoly'...this time the Mirwood Sherlie Matthews 45.

Another Soussan press? 

Am I right in thinking the legitimate release is on the Inferno UK LP from the mid 1980's?

Pretty sure this has been discussed before but thought I'd re-release it (pardon the pun!) as we are on a Mirwood trip. 

shirlie-matthews-my-sugar-baby-mirwood.jpg.e0e3e5045a942b29ae5290ec17ef2c97.jpg

Not Sherlie Matthews and Not My Sugar Baby, just some session singer Soussain got to warble over the My Little Girl backing track in the 70s. Bootleg of course, nowt to do with Mirwod except the track

Social source share

2 hours ago, ady croasdell said:

Not Sherlie Matthews and Not My Sugar Baby, just some session singer Soussain got to warble over the My Little Girl backing track in the 70s. Bootleg of course, nowt to do with Mirwod except the track

Not according to Sherlie herself...read the comments on these 2 videos...

Social source share

Here are some articles from Blues and Soul on Bob and Earl and Fred Smith (who definitely isn't Barry White).  The Bobby Byrd mentioned is not James Brown's long-time associate (and father of singer Carleen Anderson).  The article on Fred Smith was written by Sharon Wood, wife of Randy Wood, who then had a connection with Blues and Soul/Contempo.  Some topical references to Bill Cosby too.

Jackie Lee later resurfaced in yet another guise as Jay Dee on the Barry White produced "Come On In Love" album, which included "Strange Funky Games and Things" (vocal and instrumental), which was released in about 1974.  An almost twenty year association between the two. 

B&S 20 - Bob and Earl (June 1969).jpg

B&S 99 - Bob and Earl (Dec 1972).jpg

B&S 136 - Fred Smith (June 1974) (1).jpg

B&S 136 - Fred Smith (June 1974) (2).jpg

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!