JM auction result Gloria Jones

Mark W

Just seen that the original studio acetate of Gloria Jones " Gone with the wind is my love" finished at £670!!

Don't know if I'm more shocked or gutted, I reckoned it would have went for a few £K easily so never followed the auction...would have had a go at it around that price.

Just me or does that seem like a spectacular bargain?

Social source share

1 hour ago, mark w said:

Just seen that the original studio acetate of Gloria Jones " Gone with the wind is my love" finished at £670!!

Don't know if I'm more shocked or gutted, I reckoned it would have went for a few £K easily so never followed the auction...would have had a go at it around that price.

original acetate: where was the information on the auction to verify that it was authentic?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, mark w said:

Yep, I reckon that would be a nice thing to have at that money.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I agree it has to be regarded as a bargain.  I refrained from putting an overnight snipe on it because I assumed it would go for daft money.... 3K was my estimate.  Not for the first time, I made a stupid decision:huh:  Maybe the crackles put folk off?

Cheers...........Pete

Social source share

Went for less than expected so someone had a bargain. That said, it is an acetate as opposed to a proper record. Acetates deteriorate with handling and plays, more so than vinyl records. Hopefully, the sound will be preserved in a studio and transferred onto another medium. If put on 7 inch, it could sell hundreds at £10 a pop making the original investment a shrewd bit of business.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Gloria Jones version was released by SoulPurpose spr 2001. It came out in 2012 and copies still available around a tenner. Most of the repro copies of big sounds old and new appear on Ebay at around £6.99 (how do they do it?). LOL .

Social source share

Its readily available on legit rerelease, so well preserved. Think there are 3 labels it's available on, including one of Lou Barreto's.

The fact it's an acetate makes it even better for me as it's the only original format.

I reckon it's a myth about acetates deteriorating, no worse than styrene imho. I had an audiodisc acetate with an alternate take of "Black wings..." By Hayes Cotton which I kicked the arse out of for years on various decks and it never lost sound quality to any great degree. Fact of getting a one     off studio disc of a tune of immense quality makes the Gloria Jones acetate a very tasty item I'd suggest

Social source share

19 minutes ago, mark w said:

Its readily available on legit rerelease, so well preserved. Think there are 3 labels it's available on, including one of Lou Barreto's.

The fact it's an acetate makes it even better for me as it's the only original format.

I reckon it's a myth about acetates deteriorating, no worse than styrene imho. I had an audiodisc acetate with an alternate take of "Black wings..." By Hayes Cotton which I kicked the arse out of for years on various decks and it never lost sound quality to any great degree. Fact of getting a one     off studio disc of a tune of immense quality makes the Gloria Jones acetate a very tasty item I'd suggest

Very tasty - said in my best southern accent with a bit of a growl! :wicked:

Pedro

:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lou Baretto contacted me nearly 3 years ago about this acetate asking what I thought he should do with it, to secure the best price. I suggested John Manship's site would probably be the best place and although he deliberated for some time I think he made the right choice. It's likely that had the GJ version not been released a couple of years ago the acetate may have made more as an 'exclusive' version, but as a collectors piece (in that it came from Lou himself) there's no doubting its proper.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!