Steve S 60

Car Insurance

A Monday morning moan.  Just shopping around for car insurance, and was surprised to see how much a no fault claim bumps up your premium.  A quote of £128 went up to £147 when I added the wife as an additional driver.  Two years ago, some idiot decided to switch lanes on a roundabout without checking that there was space to do so, and ploughed into the side of my wife's car.  The third party admitted responsibility and my wife successfully claimed for repair costs off the third party insurer.  Her NCD was not affected.  However, according to the insurance industry, people involved in no fault incidents are more likely to be involved in an at fault incident in the future.  This, apparently, is backed up by their statistics.  Sounds like another excuse to load up your premiums to me.  Fortunately I'll be able to offset this additional cost by using a cashback site, but considering my wife uses my car twice a year on average, it costs me about £10 a trip in additional insurance premiums to allow her to do this.

Incidentally, I have just renewed my RAC membership.  Premium cover (home start, roadside rescue, recovery and onward travel) for the whole family of five for £157.  That's personal cover for each of us, not just vehicle cover.  Thought that was a good deal at just over £31 each for the top level of breakdown cover.

i recently went with the co-op

Got £50 quid worth of food vouchers and a recovery service that worked great on first use! 

cant remember exact details but may be worth a look if on the hunt

I reinsured with Hastings Direct this year and saved about £200. Matched all of my previous cover - including breakdown cover from home etc. You can check how good cover is on line - there's an independent grading system, cant remember what it's called.  Hastings are top rated. 

Peter

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve. Try living in Manchester 30 plus years no claims, clean licence. £600. Post code lottery as they say

Hope your keeping well mate

Steve

Good thanks Steve, you?  Know what you mean about your postcode.  When I was working in Barrow a couple of the lads I shared a house with used that as their main address for car insurance instead of their home addresses in Blackburn and Burnley.  Saved about £300 each.

17 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

George Osborne raised Insurance Premium Tax from 6% to 9.5% last year and it's due to increase to 10% next month.  The latest increase is supposed to raise money for flood relief.

My car only seems to work in water less than a foot deep, so thanks for that! :glare:

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve. Try living in Manchester 30 plus years no claims, clean licence. £600. Post code lottery as they say

Around 10 years ago when our Son was in the forces he was moved to a new base in Bordon, Hampshire. So he thought it best to change his car insurance details on where it was mostly kept.....

He phoned his insurer and said instead of the car being kept on the road outside our house (which is around halfway between Manchester and Liverpool), in future it would be kept in a locked compound patrolled by armed guards at his new base. He was quite surprised (to say the least) to be charged extra for this. When he asked the reason for the extra charge he was told that the car was at greater risk of damage as in the event of a war his base would be attacked first!!!!. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Zed1

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hope your keeping well mate

Steve

For some strange reason Bradford council decided to "redesignate" my mates postcode from BD13 to BD6, God knows why. Anyway his insurance, on a Jag, went up £300 quid, even though he still lived in the same house as the year before !!!!!!!!!.

One of the local areas (Little Hulton) had the same postcode as Worsley which severely affected our insurance rates. Fortunately Salford Council got lots of grief and changed LH to M41 and we got our cheaper insurance rates back!

Edited by JulianB

19 minutes ago, JulianB said:

One of the local areas (Little Hulton) had the same postcode as Worsley which severely affected our insurance rates. Fortunately Salford Council got lots of grief and changed LH to M41 and we got our cheaper insurance rates back!

As my Grandma used to say "muck tut middin".

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

As my Grandma used to say "muck tut middin".

Well, I'm originally from 5 miles away from Bradford but I've never heard that saying ( or indeed understand it!!!!):g:

5 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Well, I'm originally from 5 miles away from Bradford but I've never heard that saying ( or indeed understand it!!!!):g:

Essentially it means money to money, now behave or I will come and park my dented, clapped out old jalopy outside your house, then see what happens to your premiums old boy :D:D:D.

By the way do you have to take your driving test every year now ?

Edited by Kegsy

Just drove along the main street in town and noticed an unmarked police car (BMW) parked up with all the lights flashing.  In front of it was a car with a big sticker on the rear window saying "Uninsured Car Seized By Police".  Nice to see.

49 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Just drove along the main street in town and noticed an unmarked police car (BMW) parked up with all the lights flashing.  In front of it was a car with a big sticker on the rear window saying "Uninsured Car Seized By Police".  Nice to see.

They would run out of stickers, in about a day, in Bradford.

Back in the early 90's a mate bought a nearly new Cosworth Sierra. This was around the time when Footage of stolen Hot Hatches being thrashed around Council estates filled the News every night.....

His insurance cost £2.5K and he wasn't allowed in an L or M postcode after 9pm at night (Liverpool or Manchester).

It's that time of year again, and my current insurer's have sent a renewal reminder through, and guess what, they've increased the premium by 30%.  When I rang them up, I asked why, as the only thing that has changed is I'm another year older, as is the car, and another year has been added to my No Claims.  The reason I was given was that they'd had a lot of claims.  So Saga Insurance, who only take on older, more careful drivers, are bumping up my premium because of some old boy racers?  The upshot was they then dropped the price by £30 straight away.  Why couldn't they have quoted me the cheaper price in the first place?  Just on principle, I was never going to renew with them, so I've gone with RIAS and I'm getting £55 back by using a cashback site, taking my premium to just over £100.  They all rely on customer apathy, and the other thing they've all started to do is sign you up for auto renewal unless you actually tell them otherwise.

When our Son was in the Army he was due to do a tour of Iraq around the time his Car insurance was due. As he wasn't sure what he was going to do with the car while he was away he got a quote for leaving the car outside our House (we live around Halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) or leaving it on his Army Base in a secured locked compound which was patrolled by armed Soldiers....

When the quotes came back it was strangely more expensive to leave his car at his Army base than it was to leave it parked on the road outside our house. When he asked why they said the premium was loaded because in the event of a War his base would be attacked first... :lol:

AXA raised my renewal by £120, to take price over £500. Car isn't even worth that much. Phoned them up to question it, they said could do it for £430. I refused.

Went on Compare the Market, got same cover with RAC insurance for £200.

Insurance Companies modern day highwaymen. 

The AA did this to me as well, check your renewel notice next year & still shop around, there is no loyalty "bonus" with any of them, all of them are after new business only.

I halved the cost of my premium by using compare the market. I'm with Hastings now and their policies have the highest possible ratings on the industry metrics. 

Pete

Edited by Peter99

15 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

They take the pi$$ every year and we usually fall for it. My auto-renewal quote was over £700 so I used Compare the Market and got it halved with Quote me Happy.

My renewal was quoted as  £981. 

30 plus yrs no claims.  Clean license.  58 years old.  Wtf.  Phoned them up and got offered  £160 discount.  Told them that there online quote was £571. Told me to cancel policy and renew online because they couldn't match there own online  quote . The world is fcuking  mad. 

Steve 

I would recommend using a cashback website such as Top Cashback or Quidco in order to save money not just on car insurance, but just about all your online purchases.  Free to join, and you get cash back on stuff you're going to buy anyways.  Up to £55 with Hastings, £65 with the RAC, £52.50 with Aviva.  I've had over £1,500 from Top Cashback.  Get quotes from a comparison site for insurance before you phone your current provider and invite them to either match or beat the lowest quote.  If they can't, then leave them, as customer loyalty isn't high on their agenda, so why should you stay with them.  If everybody shopped around when their renewal was due, they'd soon get the message, because at the moment they rely heavily on customer apathy.  The same goes for all the energy companies.

7 minutes ago, hornet said:

My insurance been reasonable 2 B honest , but haven't owned A car 4 the past 4 month , was wondering how long without cover before U lose yur no claims bonus !!

Mm that's an interesting question. Probably worth checking that out, 

11 hours ago, hornet said:

My insurance been reasonable 2 B honest , but haven't owned A car 4 the past 4 month , was wondering how long without cover before U lose yur no claims bonus !!

Hi,

Its a while since I've dealt with car insurance, but I think it's still 2 years before your ncb runs out

Regards

Ali 

Motor insurance prices have been increasing for some time. This is primarily due to:

1) increased costs of repairs, these have been increasing at about 9% p.a for 2-3 years now. Reason is predominantly down to factors such as increasing sophistication in cars (technology, cameras / sensors in bumpers, safety measures etc. pushing up repairs costs compared to say 10 years ago when you just bashed a panel out, sprayed on some paint and job done. Other factors include increase in raw material prices for manufacturers (global), and in the last year weaker pound increasing costs of replacement parts on foreign cars for the Uk. 

2) increased liability claim settlement costs post Ogden reforms by the current government, which reduces the discount insurance companies could apply to long term settlements for inflation from +2.5% to -0.75%. This has a large impact on serious injury claims where Ogden tables are used to calculate future losses (lost wages, future costs of care / physiotherapy etc.). Simple example an injured person, 60, has future medical needs of 10k p.a. and a life expectancy of 27 years (to age 87). Under the old rules settlement value for that aspect of the claim would be £10k x 27 years, discounted by 2.5% p.a. for the time value of money. Now cost is 27 years x £10k x -0.75% p.a = a lot more!

Sorry for the detailed response, but those are the two main factors at play when it comes to motor insurance prices.

Edited by Steve G

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:03, Winsford Soul said:

My renewal was quoted as  £981. 

30 plus yrs no claims.  Clean license.  58 years old.  Wtf.  Phoned them up and got offered  £160 discount.  Told them that there online quote was £571. Told me to cancel policy and renew online because they couldn't match there own online  quote . The world is fcuking  mad. 

Steve 

Their a bunch of bloody crooks Steve, I once got quoted £600 to insure a 1994 Volvo I only paid 400 quid for it, talk about daylight robbery. :pirate: 

11 hours ago, Steve G said:

Motor insurance prices have been increasing for some time. This is primarily due to:

1) increased costs of repairs, these have been increasing at about 9% p.a for 2-3 years now. Reason is predominantly down to factors such as increasing sophistication in cars (technology, cameras / sensors in bumpers, safety measures etc. pushing up repairs costs compared to say 10 years ago when you just bashed a panel out, sprayed on some paint and job done. Other factors include increase in raw material prices for manufacturers (global), and in the last year weaker pound increasing costs of replacement parts on foreign cars for the Uk. 

2) increased liability claim settlement costs post Ogden reforms by the current government, which reduces the discount insurance companies could apply to long term settlements for inflation from +2.5% to -0.75%. This has a large impact on serious injury claims where Ogden tables are used to calculate future losses (lost wages, future costs of care / physiotherapy etc.). Simple example an injured person, 60, has future medical needs of 10k p.a. and a life expectancy of 27 years (to age 87). Under the old rules settlement value for that aspect of the claim would be £10k x 27 years, discounted by 2.5% p.a. for the time value of money. Now cost is 27 years x £10k x -0.75% p.a = a lot more!

Sorry for the detailed response, but those are the two main factors at play when it comes to motor insurance prices.

Car repairers will always inflate the price for an insurance job.  Somebody scraped the side of my daughter's Ford Ka.  Over £700 for a simple bash out and respray, and we're not talking metallic paint either.  No new parts required.

Less than £5k more in your example.  It's all the ambulance chasers, cash for crash chancers and the extra traffic on the roads resulting in more accidents, and don't forget that Osborne increased insurance premium tax from 9.5 to 10% last October and Hammond increased it further to 12% in June.

Just had an email from More Than about my recent contact with them with regards to my home insurance, asking if I would complete a feedback survey.  Now bearing in mind that my renewal premium represented a 40% increase on last year, despite not having claimed, my feedback wasn't great.  At the end of the survey, I had to tick a box if I agreed to my comments being used as a testimonial.  Somehow I don't think they'll be using them.  Incidentally, got the same cover from Quote Me Happy for £10 less than I paid last year.

This year's renewal quote has highlighted the latest way insurers are ripping off the consumer.  £20 for a policy renewal admin charge.  They're now charging you an additional fee for the privelege of staying with them.  Nothing like rewarding customers for their loyalty.  When I rang up to question it, the guy on the other end of the line failed miserably trying to justify this charge.

"Oh, it's for the work that the underwriters do assessing the risk."

"So I can go on Compare The Meerkat, put my details in, and get over sixty quotes for no charge.  Come on lad, you can do better than that."

Needless to say, I will not be renewing with them.

Try living in London , especially in a postcode where there has been a history of fake claims . One local taxi firm where raided last year and found to have made 35 bogus claims against for accidents that never happened . 

Advanced 60+ driver with full no claims , never any points on licence ( luck ) , driving since 16 and Car kept off road in locked compound . Still over £650 . And 17 year olds sons insurance on a 1lt Polo was over £3,000 with a black box .. 

Madness ..

I need to move back home . 

Would that be a NOMINAL fee for renewal ?

12 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

This year's renewal quote has highlighted the latest way insurers are ripping off the consumer.  £20 for a policy renewal admin charge.  They're now charging you an additional fee for the privelege of staying with them.  Nothing like rewarding customers for their loyalty.  When I rang up to question it, the guy on the other end of the line failed miserably trying to justify this charge.

"Oh, it's for the work that the underwriters do assessing the risk."

"So I can go on Compare The Meerkat, put my details in, and get over sixty quotes for no charge.  Come on lad, you can do better than that."

Needless to say, I will not be renewing with them.

1 hour ago, stevegods said:

Try living in London , especially in a postcode where there has been a history of fake claims . One local taxi firm where raided last year and found to have made 35 bogus claims against for accidents that never happened . 

Advanced 60+ driver with full no claims , never any points on licence ( luck ) , driving since 16 and Car kept off road in locked compound . Still over £650 . And 17 year olds sons insurance on a 1lt Polo was over £3,000 with a black box .. 

Madness ..

I need to move back home . 

Postcode is everything.  For some reason the outward code of my postcode is slightly different to the rest of town, and I think that makes a slight difference.  When I worked in Barrow, I shared a house with a couple of Lancashire lads.  They both used the Barrow address to insure their cars as it was a lot cheaper than Blackburn or Burnley.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 22:32, Steve S 60 said:

George Osborne raised Insurance Premium Tax from 6% to 9.5% last year and it's due to increase to 10% next month.  The latest increase is supposed to raise money for flood relief.

There are also new EU regulations in force which pushes up your premiums also I believe.

Did my daughters car with Hastings direct and saved quite a bit

On 10/09/2017 at 11:38, hornet said:

normally 12 months then your no claims is cancelled 

£142 fully comp with the AA, minus £42 because I used Top Cashback, so £100 to get the car insured.  I did notice that there is a £28 charge to set up the policy.  Considering I did everything myself online, I can't see how they can justify this, but the cashback more than offsets this.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.