Frank Elson has a pop at Top Djs and Collectors

Mike

Quote..."covering up a record is just a way to keep it secret in case someone with a good 'ear' has bought it but does not know its being played, and to artificially keep the price high. I think its fairly close to fraud...."  

am i missing something here because i would have thought a dj covers up the record to keep it 'exclusive' and if they were to sell it then the real record is revealed. As for people who own the record but dont realise the 'coverup' is increasing the demand are possibly going to sell it cheaper without realising i.e. the price will stay artificially lower not higher ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Jaco said:

It's appears to be a bit of a quantum leap to doing a review of an oldies night to labelling certain DJ's as Soul Nazi's.

There is no context to that in the review so it can be assumed he just wanted to get it off his chest.

Strange.

Strange indeed, and just listing the records for 3/4 of the review doesn't make for a very interesting read. Nothing wrong with enjoying the classics, don't get me wrong, just that it would be of more interest to me to hear a bit about the club, how well attended, sense of where punters travel from, I don't know, just a bit less of the lists!

Social source share

I don't think we should get too hung up on Franks style and content of writing...after all it's served him well..for longer than most of us can remember.

to quote the man '.......Listening to,and dancing to great Soul music is the name of the game after all'  ....pretty much nails it.. imho

• Helpful 2
Social source share

An interesting review until Frank got on his soap box. No collector has all the rare records, not even Tim as he has been flogging them. A few collectors have truly fantastic collections with many great rarities but there are lots more skint collectors out there buying as much as possible but will never own the thousands of rarest records. I suspect most DJ's on the circuit have a hotbox of in-sounds plus classics plus a few mega-rarities plus a few unknowns - no big deal in my books.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russ Vickers said:

When was this written 1976 ???

Russ

53 minutes ago, skiinspain said:

Yaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnn same old thing the same old way, he should stick to what he knows, writing about stuff he actually has some idea about. Sounds like a review that was done in 1973 !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Some of us have moved on since then, thank God !!!!. 

The above two posts just go to show how much the scene has moved on, since Levine eventually got the Carstairs on a Red Coach demo :D:D.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Reads like Frank Elson had writer's block this week. A list of plays and a token description of the night doesn't cut it on the journalistic front (imo). As for Fraud, don't you have to be unwitting in that deception? You only had to look at the blank label spinning on the deck when Richard was at the height of his major cover ups at Wigan.  Back then the average soulie was hard pressed to get the money together to go to an allnighter never mind buy exclusive records.  The cover ups all added to the magic of certain DJ's and travelling to the venues to hear those records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I remember his first column in Blues and Soul and having read this latest offering I can see many similarity's. Back in the seventies when Blues and Soul dropped Dave Godin & Frank Elson replaced him (I use that term very loosely) from the first words in his first column it was obvious to most of us that he didn't have a clue what the Northern scene was about. Moving forward with this latest  piece of journalistic ??? rubbish I can see no evidence to suggest that he has learned anything at all during the last 40 years.

Edited by local
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Freedom to have a Pop!  Comments about. Soul Nazis and Police are deplorable!  But Mr Elson as always reports what he is told and I would suggest many of the ,re-inactors, baggy trousered fraternity would echo his comments; and why not to many with broader perspectives  Ns is simply one big nostalgia trip ,like Elvis afficianados! 30 comments hurling abuse at the rather innocuous Francis, Live And Let Live, to many its Still Simply ; "One Wonderful Moment" Johnny.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, conchitta said:

Freedom to have a Pop!  Comments about. Soul Nazis and Police are deplorable!  But Mr Elson as always reports what he is told and I would suggest many of the ,re-inactors, baggy trousered fraternity would echo his comments; and why not to many with broader perspectives  Ns is simply one big nostalgia trip ,like Elvis afficianados! 30 comments hurling abuse at the rather innocuous Francis, Live And Let Live, to many its Still Simply ; "One Wonderful Moment" Johnny.

hurling abuse ?

wise up please, people commenting on someones public writings is not 'abuse'

• Helpful 2
Social source share

57 minutes ago, chalky said:

He is a relic of the past, he writes about dancing to records 40 years ago and of dancing to same records today. Those he slags of are simply following the ideals the main room at Wigan had. He and far too many others are still in Mr M's. 

Blues & Soul has very little relevance or influence on today's scene. 

Spot on mate.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, conchitta said:

Utter clap trash. Northern Soul is about listening to rare dance-music sourced mainly from the USA, generally dating from the late 60's or early 70's, SIMPLES. The interpretation quoted above reads like the misinformed tabloid journalist's take that finds it way into general circulation. Frank Elson lost the plot years ago and plainly has regressed over the decades, as yet again, he fails to report objectively.

Social source share

Come on Frank, spill the beans. What is that cover-up record that you've recently heard a top rich nazi DJ play, which is obviously the greatest record you've heard in years and which is filling you with all this sense of lack, jealousy and frustration? Don't worry you're not missing out on anything because anyone with a "good ear" will find it in one of those £10 cheapie boxes before too long.

Who is Frank Elston anyway? I'm not being sarcastic, it's an honest question.

In life, we only see what we are projecting out.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Bossfourpart1 said:

I would have thought 50 years of soul would have ammounted to more than that !!!!

Frank  (from Norwich )

No, crap taste is crap taste regardless of how old you are or how long you have been on the scene, or not on the scene as it would appear as I have never seen him at anything thank god.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Totally bizarre. The first 80% of the article is about an oldies night that he obviously enjoyed himself at…..and it's a fair enough article as reviews go. And then, BOOM car crash, he suddenly goes into a manic rant at the end. It's almost like someone either bent his ear or phoned him up and told him bout these nazis, Top DJs throwing rattles out of prams, rich collectors, horrible cover ups etc. Anyway there is only one person who uses the term "nazis" to describe people into rare soul as far as I am aware. It is an over used and casually mis-used term, and is more than mildly offensive when you consider what the real nazis did. Disappointing, Frank should stick to his fishing etc. if this is the extent of his contribution these days. The good news is I don't think more than a handful of people into Northern or rare soul actually still buy B&S.    

Edited by Steve G
grammar
Social source share

On 20/09/2016 at 15:20, Steve S 60 said:

The man can't even get the name of the venue right.  It's the Poplar Club, not the Popular Club as used in the article title, although he manages to correct his mistake later on.  

And he got one thing correct......it`s a great venue, but a bit hand-baggie at times and records played are not all orig!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

And he got one thing correct......it`s a great venue, but a bit hand-baggie at times and records played are not all orig!

That I didn't know. That just makes all his musical taste UND knowledge claiming on what is "the best ol' soul music" and all his insulting gibberish squeak to real records, DJ's who don't vote Labour (or worse !!!) and "collectors" who pay (or crate dig) to get their records (bring back Robin Hood) even more worthless IMHO !

Maybe he thought to himself that he was in the nice'N'beautiful country where everyone's nice and cute but where the bad'N'nasties are that and can be despised eh !

Where it's actually the other way around but we are not outrageous on those matters. Ever since I can remember that it's only those preventive words passed on to say to avoid (mp3's, no OVO's, TOP 500's or cheapskate sounds from whatever edit thingy) on some venues like a good advise, right ?

Don't eat or drink that you're gonna fall ill ! You do that will people you care for. But not in a scandalous way or behavior me think.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!