Flowers - For Real - 2 versions?

baudrillard

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was hoping someone might be able to clear this up for me. Having owned the original of Flowers - For Real for about 30 years, I sold it last year due to excessive skintness. Seeing a new boot pop up on Ebay I couldn't resist it and ordered one. It turned up today, but it seems to be a shorter version than the one I had, with the second part of the opening verse, where he says "Every time you walk my way..." missing. Checked on Youtube and there do seem to be two versions on there, one without this part and another with it. It's also interesting that the timing on the label of the record (original and boot) says 3.45, whereas my original came in at 4.10. Does anyone know if there are, in fact, two released versions of this, or is the shorter one just an abridged version someone has mocked up, perhaps to distinguish it from the original 45?

Any help much appreciated...

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, speedlimit said:

Hi Chalky the 12" is a slightly different mix and of course longer running time:thumbsup:

Hi mate, I posted a link to the 12 a while back but it hasn't shown.  It was ha four track 12 from Resolution records. Flowers was 8 minutes long.  I think I sold it but not 100% sure. 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Resolution version is just pt1 and pt2 of the 45 merged from what I recall.

Was going to say the same, simply top and flip sides on one 12 inch side,.,

still remember seeing this for £2 of John Doe Records in the early 9ts... if only you could turn back the hands of time eh! 

Social source share

I've been in touch with the seller of this and they say that the sound file came from a customer who claimed to have recorded it from the original 45. I sent them a sound file I had of my original 45 and, as described in the opening post, it's 25 seconds longer than theirs. Anyone out there got a real one that's only 3.45 long? Or are they all 4.10 and the shorter version is just a home-made edit. As I said earlier, the only reason I can imagine for anyone doing this is to distinguish it from the original, but with full-length sound files readily available, why would anyone boot an edited version? Beats me.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Was going to say the same, simply top and flip sides on one 12 inch side,.,

still remember seeing this for £2 of John Doe Records in the early 9ts... if only you could turn back the hands of time eh! 

Mmh... let me put that in doubt Mal. Didn't kept them 'John Doe' lists since for reference (actual I mean) prices that are now out of date and I'm not "anal" in the Freudian sense either (LOL), but I remember on those early 9T's (colored paper sleeves lists) with 'Flowers' being on his list but rather for £100 region (I think), 'Ruby' on Golden Token £250, 'Bobby Reed' on Bell £40...

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
On 21 September 2016 at 10:41, tlscapital said:

Mmh... let me put that in doubt Mal. Didn't kept them 'John Doe' lists since for reference (actual I mean) prices that are now out of date and I'm not "anal" in the Freudian sense either (LOL), but I remember on those early 9T's (colored paper sleeves lists) with 'Flowers' being on his list but rather for £100 region (I think), 'Ruby' on Golden Token £250, 'Bobby Reed' on Bell £40...

Agreed. Remember that "For Real" was huge from about 87-88 onwards and by the early 90s had a very hefty price tag due to its popularity. Pretty sure that £100 would have been about right for early 90s. They started off around £30 when it first broke out…..

Social source share

On 09/24/2016 at 02:12, Ivor Jones said:

Agreed. Remember that "For Real" was huge from about 87-88 onwards and by the early 90s had a very hefty price tag due to its popularity. Pretty sure that £100 would have been about right for early 90s. They started off around £30 when it first broke out…..

Paid £150 for mine in 1989. The new bootleg is awful, btw. Hissy and so Lo-Fi as to be almost pointless. If you're thinking of buying one, spend your money on a nice bottle of wine instead...

Social source share

On 24/09/2016 at 02:12, Ivor Jones said:

Well let me find the original list for you mate,  I as you did, kept all his lists...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!