Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Northern Soul UK

Your first list?

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this has been covered before, but would be nice to know what the first ever record list you recieved?
This is mine, just the front page (it is the complete list though) of the first ever 'Richard Searling' list produced.
Not sure what year this will have been but I would definitely say the early to mid 1970s

img043.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest johnny hart

Wow ,what spiffing thread my first ;

From Record Collector;1969, collectors Auctions ! camberly Surrey , Mitch Ryder "Breakout' £1,50 

                             F. L. Moore Leighton Buzzard;  " Spookies Day Off " Swinging Soul Machine : Belgium Polydor 50shillings ,  Arthur Conley "Funk Street" ,missed that Fat Fish one .

Brian 45 Phillips , 5 Gilpin  Red ,Middleton Manchester ; "That,s Enough' Roscoe Robinson W, Pye demo £2.00,various Dodgy emidiscs ; Incredible , Dynatones, at £3 each.Plus loads of deletions From ; Roy Hurst records , Market Stall ,Eg Platters "washed Ashore "at 2/6pence

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 1984-85, that little book type list with tiny print put out by Richard Domar...Sent away my SAE after seeing the advert in Echoes when I was first getting into the scene. That showed Not all the stories of prices back in the day are good with hindsight. In that book / list was the Feathers "Trying to get to you" on Team for £100. Remember seeing that and dying to hear it... Then I did, oh dear! On a positive note got loads of £1 and £2 shots from the list phoning back week after week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mark w said:

About 1984-85, that little book type list with tiny print put out by Richard Domar...Sent away my SAE after seeing the advert in Echoes when I was first getting into the scene. That showed Not all the stories of prices back in the day are good with hindsight. In that book / list was the Feathers "Trying to get to you" on Team for £100. Remember seeing that and dying to hear it... Then I did, oh dear! On a positive note got loads of £1 and £2 shots from the list phoning back week after week.

mine were a couple of years later from domar, had the accents - think again for £2 on it and god knows what else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mark w said:

About 1984-85, that little book type list with tiny print put out by Richard Domar...Sent away my SAE after seeing the advert in Echoes when I was first getting into the scene. That showed Not all the stories of prices back in the day are good with hindsight. In that book / list was the Feathers "Trying to get to you" on Team for £100. Remember seeing that and dying to hear it... Then I did, oh dear! On a positive note got loads of £1 and £2 shots from the list phoning back week after week.

strange about the Feathers..cos that was a known tune from the early 70's..not a great tune which is why it never took off..lots copies about in 1974 so surprised it was listed at £100..i had one £1.50...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, geeselad said:

mine were a couple of years later from domar

Me too, almost encyclopedic - used to spend hours reading them.

Funny, in the days before youtube half the time it was guesswork as to whether tunes were any good or not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, geeselad said:

mine were a couple of years later from domar, had the accents - think again for £2 on it and god knows what else

Remember he had a copy of Vickie Baines up for about 2 years for a ton and just couldn't sell it back then.

Used to buy a lot off him when I was at college in Hull (along with the ubiquitous Soul Bowl - King Tutt £10, Curtis £15, Sad Girl £8 etc etc etc).

Hope you are dong fine AS - we're in hibernation as Pete ain't well.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Remember he had a copy of Vickie Baines up for about 2 years for a ton and just couldn't sell it back then.

Used to buy a lot off him when I was at college in Hull (along with the ubiquitous Soul Bowl - King Tutt £10, Curtis £15, Sad Girl £8 etc etc etc).

Hope you are dong fine AS - we're in hibernation as Pete ain't well.

Dx

sorry to hear that Dave, I rarely out at the mo too, spend most of my time and cash at BMX race tracks nowadays, obscure northern venues, importing rare parts from the states, lol same crap diff pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This wasn't my actual first list, but the only one I have left. Record Corner and Selectadisc were the first I ever remember.

Don't know what the significance was of the underlining, but I do know I missed some bargains.

Kev

scan0003 (2).jpg

Edited by stateside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first actual record list woul;d have been F L Moore Leighton Buzzard but don't have it any longer

I do have a collection of paper lists from later on though ie. 

Black Knight Records    great lists these from Gary

Anglo American            bought loads of great records from Tim including excellent soul packs

Crazy Beat                      also some great records

The problem was getting through on the phone  had many a frustrating wait redialing frantically.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FL Moore was my first list too.  And the first imports I bought?  This old heart - Tammi Terrell and Girls Girls Girls - Chuck Jackson.  The magic of holding those magically colourful Motown imports for the first time was exquisite.  I remember he had a copy of Little Johnny Taylor Zig Zag Lightening for 30 bob.  I may even have that list somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first list was from Steve Glover from somewhere in the Midlands. Either Steve or Brian 45 in Manchester. The first "import" I bought was "Oh I've Been Blessed" Bobby Taylor (VIP) from Spin-Inn Disc Centre, Cross Street, Manchester from Kev Edwards or Gary Laine around 1968 I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First lists from the likes of John Anderson, Gem records and Keith Rylatt.Remember running up to top of street with list and a pile of 10p pieces to lean against the lamp post waiting for the classic red box to empty.Then they changed it to the new style box.Got there next day and bugger me the silly people had placed it with the door facing the lamp post.Couldnt open the door enough to get in. :yes:

Its too easy now with the net.It was chuffin hard work on the phone.

Still got loads of lists in a box somewhere that i must root out.Remember a major collection going up for sale in 2-3 lists of coloured paper.Major tuneage of the time on it.Must have a looksie.

 

Trev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 September 2016 at 11:26, SHEFFSOUL said:

strange about the Feathers..cos that was a known tune from the early 70's..not a great tune which is why it never took off..lots copies about in 1974 so surprised it was listed at £100..i had one £1.50...

Hmm, now you mention that I'm wondering if the track was Teamettes trying to get to you, not the Festhers... Could be a bit of haze in the memory...not  impossible thinking about a list from 1984 right enough!!!Never know now s'pose unless someone's got an that old list ??

Edited by mark w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mark w said:

Hmm, now you mention that I'm wondering if the track was Teamettes trying to get to you, not the Festhers... Could be a bit of haze in the memory...not  impossible thinking about a list from 1984 right enough!!!Never know now s'pose unless someone's got an that old list ??

or even "The Poor Side Of Town" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another addition  To the F L Moore above

The then day pay pal  system

Going to Post Office for a postal order and adding it with your order and posting off then waiting for the records to come through the post, absolute agony.

But agree they were my first imports too  those labels made the english ones look drab,but there were the odd exceptions loved Action Deep Soul  Soul City  Buffalo and the demo's of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

23 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Here yer go then, 1st page of Richard Searlings first ever list. Imports £1 each, and remember, this will have been the 1970s :-)

searling list page 1.jpg

Nice memories but they're mostly pressings aren't they? could be a list of stuff I bought at the time - same as most people I knew back then. They were only 85p in Syd Booths in Mansfield though, bargain..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.