News: How to do Northern Soul Properly - The Book

tone5446

Guest Johnny One Trout

I just wish someone had told me that it was meant to be funny, i have spent the last few months putting the Ellis rules into practice and i am getting close with the clapping. i personally loved it and devoured the thing in one sitting well done that man.

Trout Out

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Sounds Superb ,Just what I need after Post Brexit Blues ,give mequote to include Postage to the Sunny Costa del Soul ,Malaga, Spain. LOL , Johnny Hart.

Social source share

Sadly I have had to take issue with him over a number of errors regarding sartorial elegance. Something I have in abundance but is clearly lacking in Mr E.

One of which is that it is clearly perfectly acceptable to go sans socks whilst wearing loafers. Said loafers should be suede, of course.

Social source share

Ordered my copy yesterday and hey presto it's here today. .....Must thank Rod for giving me the inspiration .......I have a perfectly good coffee table but this book has inspired me to saw an inch off one of the legs :wicked:........Enjoying what i've seen up to now ......keep stopping though to throw another pair of baggy trousers on the fire .!!!!

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Keeper said:

Ordered my copy yesterday and hey presto it's here today. .....Must thank Rod for giving me the inspiration .......I have a perfectly good coffee table but this book has inspired me to saw an inch off one of the legs :wicked:........Enjoying what i've seen up to now ......keep stopping though to throw another pair of baggy trousers on the fire .!!!!

I'm now on P.49

For a Londoner he's done really well.

There's punctuation and a lot of the words are spelt correctly.

I don't think he's gone for the Liverpudlian market though.

Social source share

It's a great read. Tony has avoided the term 'Under the Radar' as it might upset too many record sellers ;)   The author is DJ-ing tonight at the Hoodoo,Hersham Social Club, Hersham, Walton on Thames, Surrey and tomorrow night at The Nightshift, Lakeside Club (no talc or darts please),Frimley Green, Surrey.  Mr Ellis will be spinning  some top tunes no doubt - plus checking for genuine brogues (although slippers permitted with a note from your chiropodist). 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 22/09/2016 at 16:52, Corky said:

Sadly I have had to take issue with him over a number of errors regarding sartorial elegance. Something I have in abundance but is clearly lacking in Mr E.

One of which is that it is clearly perfectly acceptable to go sans socks whilst wearing loafers. Said loafers should be suede, of course.

What do you know Cork? you're  from Burnley at town not really at the centre of alll things sartorial. I believe the absence of socks is a local tradition intended to show how had the non-wearer  of socks is.  It dates from the time when all inhabitants of the town would wear clogs rather than suede loafers which were an introduction from the south .  The very idea of suede shoes, especially brown ones would be enough to get you banned from t' miners institute for being a bit of a girlie.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Paul r said:

Ordered yesterday & received today. Cheers Tone. I've read the first couple of chapters, and already i've polished up my davey lamp ready for the long trek up north to return to the fold. Is Pete Waterman still a top DJ?

Paul

Don't forget to take extra wicks for the lamp and perhaps a budgie to test the air. All the chip fat in the air around Blackpool makes the air a bit toxic.

Sadly Pete Waterman's Mojo doesn't work anymore. You'll find him in a railway siding just outside Hampstead now letting off steam

Social source share

On 23/09/2016 at 19:53, jez bishop said:

It's a great read. Tony has avoided the term 'Under the Radar' as it might upset too many record sellers ;)   The author is DJ-ing tonight at the Hoodoo,Hersham Social Club, Hersham, Walton on Thames, Surrey and tomorrow night at The Nightshift, Lakeside Club (no talc or darts please),Frimley Green, Surrey.  Mr Ellis will be spinning  some top tunes no doubt - plus checking for genuine brogues (although slippers permitted with a note from your chiropodist). 

Sorry Jez,, forgot about " Under the radar" It'll be in the next edition

Social source share

On 23/09/2016 at 18:12, modernsoulsucks said:

I'm now on P.49

For a Londoner he's done really well.

There's punctuation and a lot of the words are spelt correctly.

I don't think he's gone for the Liverpudlian market though.

Well its like this guv, sum of us Cockneys do 'ave a bit of heudcashun gor blimey.  We've got nuffink like Manchester Grandma School or The Clitheroe Kid Academy to learn us proper like.

Social source share

On 22/09/2016 at 17:12, modernsoulsucks said:

Mine has now arrived.

It will make a fine coffee-table book as unfortunately I failed to fully follow the Ikea instructions so one leg is shorter than the others.

When Tony told me he hoped to make a wedge I didn't realise he had my table in mind.

Ha Ha

Social source share

On 22/09/2016 at 12:54, modernsoulsucks said:

I first met the author back in '72 at the Wheatsheaf soul sessions in London.

A fine figure on the dance floor demonstrating the "walk". OK, it was the Lambeth variety but I knew then he was one day going to run his own jellied-eel franchise. I was wrong about that but I'm sure I'm not wrong about buying this book, but if I am I can always claim a refund as I used PayPal.

Finally an apology to the author as down the years I've always confused him with Tony Smith, and if I'm truthful, Phil Mitchell and Bert from Mary Poppins.

I'd rather demonstrate the "Walk" rather than "The Mince" that you used to do. NO REFUNDS or Jelllied Eels. I did have a jelllied Potteries Oatcake franchise but it failled to take off and I lost a packet

Social source share

6 minutes ago, tone5446 said:

I'd rather demonstrate the "Walk" rather than "The Mince" that you used to do. NO REFUNDS or Jelllied Eels. I did have a jelllied Potteries Oatcake franchise but it failled to take off and I lost a packet

Well, I'll go t'fut of our apples.

Never been so insulted since I last spoke t'trouble.

Mince ? Sashay, I can live with.

PM me re international sales. I owe you.

Social source share

On 24/09/2016 at 13:16, Paul r said:

Ordered yesterday & received today. Cheers Tone. I've read the first couple of chapters, and already i've polished up my davey lamp ready for the long trek up north to return to the fold. Is Pete Waterman still a top DJ?

Paul

Eee Paul you'll need that Lamp once you get past the M25 ring road as all the lights go out after that as is grim up North, as you Plastic Southerners like ta keep tellin us & Pete's too busy wit train sets to go Deejing. Weel aft ta make do wi tha DJ's we ave up ere.

Kirsty

Social source share

15 hours ago, petegroover said:

does it have the night at nelsons club,wimbledon fc ,where many took up the beer induced chant of " be a c--t vote national front " ha ha ha !great days,i totally agree too many soulies take it too seriously,got to have a laugh,keeps you young and livens the night up,good on yer mate

Thanks Pete

Social source share

On 9/22/2016 at 09:53, tone5446 said:

Article Highlight:

How to do Northern Soul Properly- A Handbook for the 21st Century by Tony Ellis - words and details of this now available book

View full article

Hi Tony i paypaled you on Sunday did you receive the payment ? if not can you let me know as i have had email confirmation the payment went , i was really wanting the book for my holidays !!!

regards

Cress 

Book arrived now thank's Tony 

Edited by cress
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!