THE VIBRATIONS TITLE PLEASE?

Venus

• 4 months later...

2 hours ago, chalky said:

It isn't anything I recognise.  What year was the show performance?

Hi Chalky...The performance is from the Steel Pier's Show 1974...I've even tried making titles out of what they are singing but still nothing? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Venus
Social source share

After their LP and single releases on Mandala in the early 70s the Vibration's final release before they called it a day was "Shake It Up / Make It Last"  on Chess Records from '74 recorded in Philly with Alan Felder and Vince Montana .

The mp3 you have posted is very clearly a classic early to mid 70s Philly sound . It has all the hallmarks of an Alan Felder production. May well have been from the same sessions. 

Who knows, maybe it was even slated for release after Shake It Up but never saw the light of day on vinyl because Chess was in deep financial trouble at that time. The group must have been promoting their Chess release on the show  (Make It Last may well have been the official A side / Plug Side rather than Shake It Up).

Where did you source the mp3 ? You mention it's from a Steel Pier Show : this was a  popular TV Show hosted by Ed Hurst in Atlantic City from the late 50s to the late 70s ;  is  the mp3 from a  vinyl / audio  source   ...  or is it a video clip from youtube or some other visual media ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

Hi Sunnysoul....Thankyou very kindly for that info :) the mp3? I actually took it from the tv performance itself ...as you know many of the singers/groups lip synced to their record on the Steel Pier Show and mainly to promote their latest record/Lp...They did 2 on the same show 'Make it last and this one' so now I'm a little more confused? if no record? what were they miming to then? :g:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've drawn a blank also - I'm guessing the title to be something along the lines of "I'm so glad I found love in you" - or some combination of those words!

Agreed with Sunnysoul, it's got all the hallmarks of a Philly tune such as the sort of thing The Stylistics were doing in the early to mid 70's.

Not so much a coincidence then that "Make it last" was also recorded by The Stylistics.

Maybe we need to start looking at Thom Bell & Linda Creed material on other similar artists. BMI may be of help as well?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, John Benson said:

Well, I've drawn a blank also - I'm guessing the title to be something along the lines of "I'm so glad I found love in you" - or some combination of those words!

Agreed with Sunnysoul, it's got all the hallmarks of a Philly tune such as the sort of thing The Stylistics were doing in the early to mid 70's.

Not so much a coincidence then that "Make it last" was also recorded by The Stylistics.

Maybe we need to start looking at Thom Bell & Linda Creed material on other similar artists. BMI may be of help as well?

Hi John...Thankyou kindly for this...definitely worth a try :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, chalky said:

Have you tried Ady Croasdell?  He included one of the Chess releases on the latest Chess box set if memory serves me correctly, he may have access to the session logs whilst they were at Chess?  If he hasn't he may know someone who has?

Thankyou...will send him a message shortly :)

Social source share

Hi Venus,

There's no record of other titles in the Chess tapes but there are three missing recording numbers from the Shake It Up session. I'm sure it would be one of those but whether the masters still exist is unknown. Thom Bell wrote a song 'I'm So Glad' with Sherman Marshall and Ted Wortham, maybe that is the song? The group would have mimed over a master tape or acetate

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, ady croasdell said:

Hi Venus,

There's no record of other titles in the Chess tapes but there are three missing recording numbers from the Shake It Up session. I'm sure it would be one of those but whether the masters still exist is unknown. Thom Bell wrote a song 'I'm So Glad' with Sherman Marshall and Ted Wortham, maybe that is the song? The group would have mimed over a master tape or acetate

Hi Ady...Thankyou kindly for this reply :) 

Social source share

I did come across "I'm so glad" while searching through the BMI Repertoire, listed under Thomas Randolph Bell, along with Sherman Marshall and Ted Wortham ( BMI Work # 664975).

But there's no artists linked to it to see if I could I.D. it any further, so couldn't be sure if it's this song or not.

Saying that no artists were linked to it doesn't mean much though really, there's plenty of well known songs by him and many others that don't have singers connected to them, so it's not really the end of things, it just isn't as easy as it could have been!

Anyone got connections with any of the writers of the song that you could ask?.. :g:

https://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=664975&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!