Strange Goings On At The Post Office

Guest NASHEE

I'VE BEEN BUYING FROM ABROAD FOR MANY YEARS NOW, PRETTY MUCH WITHOUT HASSLE, IN MAYBE 5 YEARS I'VE HAD 2 PAYMENTS GO MISSING...NOT BAD GOING ME THINKS....AND TOUCH WOOD...I'VE NEVER HAD A RECORD GO MISSING...ALL HAVE ARRIVED SAFELY, EVEN THE REAL SHITTERS THAT HAVE BEEN GRADED BY THE SELLERS GUIDE DOG..HAVE TURNED UP...

THAT IS UNTIL THIS MONTH. ON NOV 5TH I WENT TO MY LOCAL POST OFFICE. I PURCHASED $200, THEN SPLIT THEM INTO 6 PAYMENTS...1 TO BELGIUM..1 TO GERMANY AND 4 TO THE USA. THE EUROPEAN ONES WERE OVER £40 IN EACH..SO I SENT THEM INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR...THE USA ONES WERE QUITE SMALL AMMOUNTS SO I JUST REQUESTED PROOF OF PURCHASE FOR THOSE..........NOW FOR THE PUNCHLINE.

THE 1 TO BELGIUM ARRIVED....MINUS THE DOLLARS

THE 1 TO GERMANY HAS NOT ARRIVED AT ALL

AND NONE OF THE 4 TO THE USA HAVE ARRIVED EITHER.

I'VE GOT IN TOUCH WITH THE POST OFFICE :angry:

I HAVE TO WAIT 25 DAYS BEFORE THEY WILL EVEN COUNT THE ITEMS AS MISSING....THEN THEY ARE ALLOWED 28 DAYS TO INVESTIGATE...THIS IS A BLOODY JOKE...ITS COMING UP TO XMAS AND I'VE NOW GOT TO FIND ANOTHER $200 PLUS WHAT I'VE BROUGHT THIS MONTH. I COULD F***ING SCREAM.

SO WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO...IS IF ANY OF YOU SOULIES OUT THERE HAVE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES IN THE LAST MONTH..PLEASE LEAVE MESSAGES ON HERE. SO WE CAN SEE HOW BAD THIS PROBLEM IS.

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY RANT...I FEEL BETTER NOW...HA HA HA

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'VE BEEN BUYING FROM ABROAD FOR MANY YEARS NOW, PRETTY MUCH WITHOUT HASSLE, IN MAYBE 5 YEARS I'VE HAD 2 PAYMENTS GO MISSING...NOT BAD GOING ME THINKS....AND TOUCH WOOD...I'VE NEVER HAD A RECORD GO MISSING...ALL HAVE ARRIVED SAFELY, EVEN THE REAL SHITTERS THAT HAVE BEEN GRADED BY THE SELLERS GUIDE DOG..HAVE TURNED UP...

THAT IS UNTIL THIS MONTH. ON NOV 5TH I WENT TO MY LOCAL POST OFFICE. I PURCHASED $200, THEN SPLIT THEM INTO 6 PAYMENTS...1 TO BELGIUM..1 TO GERMANY AND 4 TO THE USA. THE EUROPEAN ONES WERE OVER £40 IN EACH..SO I SENT THEM INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR...THE USA ONES WERE QUITE SMALL AMMOUNTS SO I JUST REQUESTED PROOF OF PURCHASE FOR THOSE..........NOW FOR THE PUNCHLINE.

I HAVE TO WAIT 25 DAYS BEFORE THEY WILL EVEN COUNT THE ITEMS AS MISSING....THEN THEY ARE ALLOWED 28 DAYS TO INVESTIGATE...THIS IS A BLOODY JOKE...ITS COMING UP TO XMAS AND I'VE NOW GOT TO FIND ANOTHER $200 PLUS WHAT I'VE BROUGHT THIS MONTH. I COULD F***ING SCREAM.

SO WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO...IS IF ANY OF YOU SOULIES OUT THERE HAVE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES IN THE LAST MONTH..PLEASE LEAVE MESSAGES ON HERE. SO WE CAN SEE HOW BAD THIS PROBLEM IS.

link

It's not uncommon for MORE people to send christmas cards etc, and CASH internationally at this time of the year and thus statistically things are MORE likley to go astray, if you know what I mean? (I think that coveres me legally!!)

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

OH YEAH. HAD A PACKAGE SENT FROM THE USA(FROM ME) TO WIGAN. THE PACKAGE WAS STOLEN OUT OF HIS DOOR APPARENTLY. ALSO, I SENT A PACKAGE TO PETERBOROUGH THAT NEVER ARRIVED. SENT ONE TO NSW AUSTRALIA, CAME BACK 4 MONTHS LATER ALL MANGLED UP. COINCIDENTALLLY, E-BAY PUT UNEXPLAINED CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT, PAYPAL REVERSED A CHARGE AND LEFT ME NGATIVE, AND THE POSTAL SYSTEM FAILED ME--ALL IN THE SAME WEEK. I WANTED TO KICK SOME ASS, BUT DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO POINT THE FINGER. I HAVEN'T SOLD ONE ITEM SINCE JULY. I'M TOTALLY SKETCHED OUT NOW. :lol:

ONCE SOMETHING LEAVES THE US, I'M BASICALLY SCREWED BECAUSE I HAVE NO WAY OF TRACKING IT. I AM COMPLETELY LIVID JUST LIKE YOU.

HOPE YOU CAN WORK THINGS OUT.

KTF

JAS

Social source share

OH YEAH. HAD A PACKAGE SENT FROM THE USA(FROM ME) TO WIGAN. THE PACKAGE WAS STOLEN OUT OF HIS DOOR APPARENTLY. ALSO, I SENT A PACKAGE TO PETERBOROUGH THAT NEVER ARRIVED. SENT ONE TO NSW AUSTRALIA, CAME BACK 4 MONTHS LATER ALL MANGLED UP. COINCIDENTALLLY, E-BAY PUT UNEXPLAINED CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT, PAYPAL REVERSED A CHARGE AND LEFT ME NGATIVE, AND THE POSTAL SYSTEM FAILED ME--ALL IN THE SAME WEEK. I WANTED TO KICK SOME ASS, BUT DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO POINT THE FINGER. I HAVEN'T SOLD ONE ITEM SINCE JULY. I'M TOTALLY SKETCHED OUT NOW. :lol:

ONCE SOMETHING LEAVES THE US, I'M BASICALLY SCREWED BECAUSE I HAVE NO WAY OF TRACKING IT. I AM COMPLETELY LIVID JUST LIKE YOU.

HOPE YOU CAN WORK THINGS OUT.

KTF

JAS

link

JUST HAD THIS MAIL FROM ONE OF THE GUYS IN THE STATES WHO DIDNT GET MY PAYMENT....A REALLY LOVELY GUY WHO IS A VERY WELL KNOWN AND RESPECTED DEALER.

Linda

This is why I contacted you & some other customers from England. I'm having the same problem. You're my 5th customer that has sent payment & I've not recieved either. I getting a count as I'm filing a complaint to to Postal Inspection service. I think somebody is stealing my mail in England. I'm going to enclose a copy of this e-mail with complaint for the Postal Inspectors.

The safe way to sent cash is by registered mail. Sorry, I don't have a paypal account.

Don

Social source share

I'm still awaiting a few copies of the Manship price guide apparently mailed 5/11, although they(manship) could not tell me if they had been sent together or packs of 2. Not all for me i'd like to add (although after reading some of the posts on here, not sure if wise to get).

Im sure if they had been sent separately I would have received one (my powers of deduction are quite immense).

My postie told me today to call the customer service line (haven't got number yet, but can probably get from your local office) & they do some tracking of the item & where it's come from, although he did not sound that hopeful with the joy I might get. He did mention Sorting offices in London were out (on strike, I presume he meant) last week so could be items backed up from that.

Manship has not suggested what action they will take, but advised had to wait 3 weeks. Annoying thing is I dont feel I can ask my mates for money for items I haven't received (does this site have an agony aunt page?)

3 weeks is almost up, so will have to see what joy I get. :angry: Very annoying, but thankfully never had any records go missing

Mike

Social source share

I'm still awaiting a few copies of the Manship price guide apparently mailed 5/11, although they(manship) could not tell me if they had been sent together or packs of 2. Not all for me i'd like to add (although after reading some of the posts on here, not sure if wise to get).

Im sure if they had been sent separately I would have received one (my powers of deduction are quite immense).

My postie told me today to call the customer service line (haven't got number yet, but can probably get from your local office) & they do some tracking of the item & where it's come from, although he did not sound that hopeful with the joy I might get. He did mention Sorting offices in London were out (on strike, I presume he meant) last week so could be items backed up from that.

Manship has not suggested what action they will take, but advised had to wait 3 weeks. Annoying thing is I dont feel I can ask my mates for money for items I haven't received (does this site have an agony aunt page?)

3 weeks is almost up, so will have to see what joy I get. :angry:  Very annoying, but thankfully never had any records go missing

Mike

link

============

i lost 2 packs from the states this year including a mint Velvets (pooh)

hoping theyll still turn up but not putting any money on it

Social source share

What about this one then, I still can't believe it - I sent Carmen a Stateside record, Percy Milem I think, recorded delivery - got a call from Brian asking me what I was playing it and why did I send them a Frank Ifield record! The fucking postman had stolen the record I sent them, replaced it with Frank and resealed the mailer. Blatant theft. I reported it to the sorting office and also to the post office users group, they didn't even give me the £28 compensation for recorded delivery but sent me £5 as a "gesture of goodwill"!!! :graywanker:

Social source share

iam waiting for a record from the states thats gone awol,just wondered if any bodys had things gone missing that turn up,just to gimme i glimmer of hope

link

I purchased a mint copy of the Arabians ' Please Take A Chance on Me' from a well respected dealer in the States. Six weeks later, the record had not arrived and we kept in touch every other day or so. He had proof of postage etc.

Seven weeks later, the record arrived, stamped by the Kenyan Post Office 'Wrongly delivered'. Despite being correctly addressed the US Postal Service had sent it to Africa !

So, there can be a faint glimmer of hope.

Social source share

Never never never send cash through the post unless it's a negligible amount is my advice.

I sent $700 and it got nicked (though I think by the recipient's estranged wife); I'd already got the record and proof I'd sent the dough so the tough titty was on the other side of the Atlantic but it could have gone the other way.

Western Union it or go into your bank and they should be able to wire it for you (I'm with the Halifucks and they charge me 14 quid to send money to the States...it arrives in the seller's bank account inside an hour).

As for records if they're big, big records get them couriered, it ain't that expensive. You can track them electronically then. For small records it's pot luck really but I always seal down envelopes with lots of tape so at least that makes it hard for the thieving bastards.

Social source share

there most be some posties with great record collections,or are they nicking to order,makes you wonder

link

Likely to get worse at this time of year. Don't the PO take on casuals for the christmas rush ?

Social source share

IF I'M SENDING CASH TO THE STATES I ALWAYS PUT IT IN A 45 MAILER AND SEND IT RECORDED. cAN'T SEND REGISTERED TO THE STATES WHICH IS A PITY. SOUNDS GOOD IDEA TO PUT UK£ IN TIN FOIL THOUGH AS METAL STRIPS WON'T SHOW WHEN THEY PUT IT IN X RAY MACHINE. I USED TO WORK FOR AN OIL COMPANY AND ALL MAIL HAD TO GO THROUGH X RAY SP POST OFFICE WILL DO IT AS WELL. YOU CAN ALSO ASK FOR TRACKING FROM US SELLERS COSTS $15 AS I 'VE ASKED CRAIG MOERER FEW TIMES FOR THIS. HAVE HAD TO WAIT 3 WEEKS SOMETIMES FOR STUFF TO ARRIVE. SO THERE IS HOPE

Social source share

awh - this is all really sad. i once sent a member of this forum £60 in the post, to help pay a phone bill. it was meant to be a surprise...it was, cuz it never turned up. sending cash in the post is a waste of time. even if you send it registered you'll never get your full amount back...despite the awful fees paypal is the safest bet

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Did the seller say this? You sure it wasn't that idiot Salamone going at it again? :sleep3:

I HATE when stuff like this happens, annoying enough to have to wait for parcels that soemtimes take longer than they should..

best

Leo

Social source share

It happens in Canada as well.

In May I lost about $450US in cash and Bidpay payments.

One of the buyers contacted Bidpay and they confirmed his payment had been cashed but couldnt confirm where.

I got absolutely no joy from Canada Post ( you think the UK post is bad, you should try dealing with these clowns ).

I now have a Paypal account and the disclaimer that people send cash, money orders or Bidpay at there own risk.

Social source share

IF I'M SENDING CASH TO THE STATES I ALWAYS PUT IT IN A 45 MAILER AND SEND IT RECORDED. cAN'T SEND REGISTERED TO THE STATES WHICH IS A PITY. SOUNDS GOOD IDEA TO PUT UK£ IN TIN FOIL THOUGH AS METAL STRIPS WON'T SHOW WHEN THEY PUT IT IN X RAY MACHINE. I USED TO WORK FOR AN OIL COMPANY AND ALL MAIL HAD TO GO THROUGH X RAY SP POST OFFICE WILL DO IT AS WELL. YOU CAN ALSO ASK FOR TRACKING FROM US SELLERS COSTS $15 AS I 'VE ASKED CRAIG MOERER FEW TIMES FOR THIS. HAVE HAD TO WAIT 3 WEEKS SOMETIMES FOR STUFF TO ARRIVE. SO THERE IS HOPE

link

you can now...international signed for now includes the states...but if they go miss ing anyway..whats the point

Social source share

iam waiting for a record from the states thats gone awol,just wondered if any bodys had things gone missing that turn up,just to gimme i glimmer of hope

link

i had 10 records in a parcel from the states go missing.....they turned up 11 weeks later....british customs had had them for 7 weeks...they stamped them on opening...and stamped them again on resealing before posting them on to me..so i suppose you still have some hope

Social source share

Did the seller say this? You sure it wasn't that idiot Salamone going at it again?  :yes:

I HATE when stuff like this happens, annoying enough to have to wait for parcels that soemtimes take longer than they should..

best

Leo

link

the thought crossed my mind... but i paid by paypal when he told me what had happened and the record was here within 48hrs...nice mint copy...he has assured me that he will co operate fully with the post office enquiry...he's pretty embarassed himself...coz when he took it to his local post office to complain...they just smiled and told him.."you should have weighed it before signing for it" :sleep3:

Social source share

HAVE HAD LOADS OF STUFF STOPPED BY CUSTOMS AS I LIVE IN SCOTLAND THEY COME THROUGH GLASGOW AND THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ARSE. WAS SENT 4 RECORDS AND THE GUY WHO SENT THEM HAD PUT VALUE AT $1 EACH. THE CUSTOMS SENT ME A LETTER SAYING THEY WERE CONFISCATING THE RECORDS AS THERE WAS NO RECEIPT AND I'D HAVE TO GO TO COURT TO GET THEM BACK. WHEN I PHONED TO COMPLAIN THE GUY SAID UNLESS I GET A RECEIPT I WASN'T GETTING THE 45'S. THERE WAS ALSO THE NEXT AUCTION LIST FROM THE GUY AND IT WAS TAKEN OUT AND NEVER I GOT IT. CUSTOMS ASKED WHY THERE WERE NO PRICES ON THE LIST SO I HAD TO EXPLAIN IT WAS AUCTION. EVENTUALY GOT THE 45'S AFTER GUY IN STATES JUST SENT A PIECE OF PAPER WITH TOTAL AT $4. CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT ALL THE 45'S WERE NOW BUT ONE WAS A MINT DEMO OF TOMMY TATE I'M TAKING ON PAIN AND IT COST A HEELUVA LOT MORE THAN $1

Social source share

THINK AS LONG AS TOTAL VALUE ON CUSTOMS STICKER IS NOT MORE THAN $30 THEY LET IT THROUGH AS I'VE HAD ONE PACKAGE STOPPED COZ IT HAD $33 ON IT SO HAD TO PAY IMPORT TAX AND VAT. THEY ALSO CHARGED ME VAT ON THE POSTAGE AS WELL COZ IT WAS 4 LP'S. BASTARDS. HAD STUFF GOT THROUGH FEW TIMES AT $30 NO CHARGE

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Don't live in East London do you?

I've had five records fail to arrive, then all arrived back in the US a couple of months later. Got them all sent again, 2 arrived.

The Post Office here claimed were never sent. You give them the proof of postage and they either send you a book of first class stamps or a form to fill in which requires and agreed value - which doesn't really cover 'second hand' try agreeing a value for a Topper 45 - even then it's only up to £125.

I can't post anything and I can't receive anything unless it's sent Special Delivery.

I've had to refund 4 items and have given up on at least 6 in the past couple of months.

Farcical and it's killed Ebay for me.

arrrggghhhh.

Thanks for letting me vent that!

:sleep3:

Social source share

Don't live in East London do you?

I've had five records fail to arrive, then all arrived back in the US a couple of months later. Got them all sent again, 2 arrived.

The Post Office here claimed were never sent. You give them the proof of postage and they either send you a book of first class stamps or a form to fill in which requires and agreed value - which doesn't really cover 'second hand' try agreeing a value for a Topper 45 - even then it's only up to £125.

I can't post anything and I can't receive anything unless it's sent Special Delivery.

I've had to refund 4 items and have given up on at least 6 in the past couple of months.

Farcical and it's killed Ebay for me.

arrrggghhhh.

Thanks for letting me vent that!

:sleep3:

link

NO....I'M A STOKIE....BUT I GUESS THIS PROBLEM IS COUNTRY /WORLDWIDE.

I WOULDNT MIND SO MUCH IF THE POST OFFICE TOOK PEOPLES COMPLAINTS SERIOUSLY...BUT THEY DONT EVEN SEEM TO LOOK ON IT AS THEFT...PERHAPS THEY THINK THE MONEY JUST ACCIDENTALLY FELL OUT OF MY ENVELOPES INTO THE POSTIES POCKET!!!!!

Social source share

3 weeks is almost up, so will have to see what joy I get. :angry:  Very annoying, but thankfully never had any records go missing

Mike

link

I'm just thinking I was quite lucky as I got two Manship's guides when I ordered the one, got charged for two mind.

Anyway I took a gamble and just wrote on the package "Return to sender" and it got back OK, so I got me refund. :sleep3:

After reading these posts I probably wouldn't do it again though. :yes:

Social source share

Had a copy of Jimmie Reed Jnr go missing for about 8 weeks.

It eventually arrived back at the U.S. senders address as my postie couldn't be arsed to leave me a card to say he had tried deliver it ,and after 3 weeks they returned it to sender. Lucky the sender (ebay seller) was honest enough to let me know it had been returned.

Also had same problem with a package fron Belgium. (legit seller)

Had to pay postage twice for both these incidents.

Had some records take 6 months to arrive before now, so there is hope.

I emailed the sellers to ensure items had been posted by airmail, and when they arrived they were date stamped on date as assured by sellers.

I think they must float some post over the Atlantic on an old inner tube...

I believe customs can delay whole consignments on some occasions.

When I moved to my current address over 2 years ago, I made an immediate effort to get on with our postie (for obvious reasons) and he seemed a decent guy.

Then I recently had about 2 binliners of mail delivered, some dating from 7 years ago! So did all my estate....

Seems this guy could not be arsed to deliver his mail some days, so he just took it home and dumped it in his house. Very little of this mail had been opened, and when they caught up with him he had something like 20,000 items (including airline tickets, birthday cards and a tow bar!!!!!!)

Kidsgrove sorting office (Stoke-on-Trent) was where he worked...very close to your neighbourhood Miss-Popcorn (or shall I call you Linda)...proud to be a Stokie myself...but seems our local postal service is full of thieves !

One guy once told me a great idea to send cash - put it between 2 cardboard inserts used for packaging and glue the edges together so it looks like one thick piece of cardboard (trim up if necessary) - send with some worthless record in a mailer, BUT be sure that the receiver knows where it is.. :sleep3:

Mace.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I have had loads go missing in the mail, thank fully nothing I have sent has (yet)  The British postal system is a disgrace

link

GOTTA DISAGREE THIS TIME-MY POST IS A1. ONLY 10MINS AGO HE CALLED WITH A BIG PILE OF MAIL. MOSTLY FOR THE REST OF THE FAMILY. HIS WORDS WERE "YOU KEEP US GOING". SO THEY GET NO NEGATIVE WAVES FROM ME.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

The postal system is far from a disgrace. It always amazes me that people knock it. Try getting a courier firm to get a letter from one end of the country to another in under twenty four hours for under 30p.

link

WELL SAID GARETH.

Social source share

The postal system is far from a disgrace. It always amazes me that people knock it. Try getting a courier firm to get a letter from one end of the country to another in under twenty four hours for under 30p.

link

I TAKE IT THAT YOU'VE HAD NOTHING GO MISSING THEN !!! :)

Social source share

you gotta be having a fooking laugh I've had more mail gone missing in the last two years than in the previous 30 :angry: I'm out of pocket over a grand :)

Social source share

• 1 month later...

JUST HAD THIS MAIL FROM ONE OF THE GUYS IN THE STATES WHO DIDNT GET MY PAYMENT....A REALLY LOVELY GUY WHO IS A VERY WELL KNOWN AND RESPECTED DEALER.

Linda

This is why I contacted you & some other customers from England. I'm having the same problem. You're my 5th customer that has sent payment & I've not recieved either. I getting a count as I'm filing a complaint to to Postal Inspection service. I think somebody is stealing my mail in England. I'm going to enclose a copy of this e-mail with complaint for the Postal Inspectors.

The safe way to sent cash is by registered mail. Sorry, I don't have a paypal account.

Don

link

Poor Mr Parker!

It seems to really be dependant on the area you live.

Touch wood! I've only ever had an LP go missing which aint too bad.

Oh yeah! I also bought something on Bell (Could have been Toussaint McCall?) from a guy in the states, it looked mint but had a pressing fault and wouldn't play.

When I emailed the bloke, he said that it's he can't be held responsible for problems with manufacture and to contact Bell!! Bloody 40+ yrs ago! Should have asked him if he's still got the receipt from where he bought it LOL

Jodie

Social source share

I must be alone on all this, I have records arrive late ....2 months late and had them repackaged at customs but in 25 years Ive only ever had 1 broken (and I think it was sent like that) and none missing and ive moved arround the UK and eventually settled in sunny YORKSHIRE and My Postie now signs my recorded del for me and stashes the discs in a secret hideaway if im not there

SO A BIG HATS OFF TO THE GPO FOR 25 YEARS GREAT SERVICE

(WATCH MY NEXT PURCHASE GO AWOL AND MAKE A FOOL OF ME)

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Linda

Did anyone see that programme some months ago about the Post office are employing more eastern Europeans/ Africans and they interviewd some of them who admitted that they nick parcels and envelopes.

I am not tarring everyone with the same brush just quoting the programme. :lamsey:

Don

link

Social source share

Linda

Did anyone see that programme some months ago about the Post office are employing more eastern Europeans/ Africans and they interviewd some of them who admitted that they nick parcels and envelopes.

I am not tarring everyone with the same brush just quoting the programme. :lamsey:

Don

link

Social source share

link

===========

As an ex postman......

In general the problem does not lie in Britain. Most countries seem to have worse systems than ours. Some only deliver once a week, or deliver to an area/address when they've got enough mail to warrant a visit. Here, although the second delivery has mostly been done away with, every address with mail is visited at least once.

Over recent years the routes, which should really be left to the postmen to sort, as they're the ones who know which is quickest route, have been taken over by faceless people in offices playing on computers.

I know it doesn't help, or make anyone feel any better when they've lost mail, but it is a fact :-)

Well it was about 18 months ago, things may have changed since then.

Winnie;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!