Dave65

Help - Leather Soled Brogues

I'm looking for recommendations on where to get leather soled brogues either online or the high street. 

I'm not having much luck finding them in Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I might not be looking in the right places. 

Dave

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

best brogues loake buy on line cheers mark

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Barnets, High St.Edinburgh.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Jones in George St or Earl Grey St usually have sales of brogues...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Loake, in combination with Paul Smith I think, revived the classic 'royal' brogue several years ago but I don't know if they still make 'em.

dean

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I like barkers but have loakes , grenson etc , U really need try on as last shapes all differ ! But general rule is to drop 1/2 A size ! John lobb suppose B the bollox if U have deep pockets 

IMG_0409.JPG

Edited by hornet

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I've found Delicious Junction to be pretty good quality, comfy and not too expensive, available on line from quite a few places.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Get into Debenhams Jeff Banks Or John Rocher,

sale on at the moment , just picked up a pair of traditional Brogues All Leather reduced from £98 - £30

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Loakes all day, my last pair lasted 20+ years.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

sorry trumping time....flat fronted bass loafers! No longer produced in boy sizes.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I have been getting most of my shoes recently from charity shops. I bought a lovely pair of Church brogues for a fiver (these are over £500 from a shop )Also got 2 pairs of Loak loafers and a pair of Loake brogues for about £10 each.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
56 minutes ago, britishbarry said:

I have been getting most of my shoes recently from charity shops. I bought a lovely pair of Church brogues for a fiver (these are over £500 from a shop )Also got 2 pairs of Loak loafers and a pair of Loake brogues for about £10 each.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term Dead Man's Shoes.  Must be a very upmarket charity shop.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Number one golden rule of thrift shopping. Go to charity shops in affluent areas!

20160929_183057.jpg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Dick's Edinburgh stock Tricker's.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Had a pair of Cheaney brogues since early 80's, they still look good.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Church's will last a lifetime but take a bit of breaking in. There are brogues and then there are patterned shoes - be sure to get them with the pattern running from the heel half-way around. Buy a pair from a 'gentlemen's' outlet, not cheap, but with leather inner-soles and lining, and you will get decades of use: avoid the cheap cardboard-like inner-sole varieties as they barely last a couple of years. And don't forget the Argyll socks to finish the look.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hiya, all my shoes are sh*te, then again I shop in effluent areas, cheers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
50 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, all my shoes are sh*te, then again I shop in effluent areas, cheers

:wicked:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Brings a whole new meaning to the term Dead Man's Shoes.  Must be a very upmarket charity shop.

I hadn't thought of it like that. I shall never wear them again! Thank's.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, britishbarry said:

Nah, giving new life to a quality item that was some old dudes' who's no longer with us pride and joy is a good thing surely, a fitting tribute to the old boys' taste and eye for quality. When my old man passed he had some lovely suits and a pair of quality brogues that he had all his life more or less, he looked after them and had them fixed when required, he basically loved them, when he passed we had to take them to charity shop as they didn't fit any of my sons or myself, would've loved to have worn them but the idea that someone else has got them and is carrying on the shoes' life is comforting, silly I guess to be thinking like that about a pair of old shoes but...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

That was very well put. I couldn't agree more. It alway's strikes me when I make these find's that, as you say, the generation's before us felt that quality was important. Who know's some of them might have been early mod's and like us it became style that remained with them all they're life.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
51 minutes ago, britishbarry said:

That was very well put. I couldn't agree more. It alway's strikes me when I make these find's that, as you say, the generation's before us felt that quality was important. Who know's some of them might have been early mod's and like us it became style that remained with them all they're life.

Thanks.

I'm a bit of a mad collector/hoarder everything from vintage Zeiss binoculars, Dinky toys, Victorian mineral water bottles, vintage guitars and amps, 45s, series 1 & 2 Land Rovers (x5), motorcycles, vintage angling stuff etc etc, almost everything I own is recycled, upcycled, refurbished or 'pre-loved' in some way. Quality never becomes rubbish.

As a result I've got some absolutely beautiful things. My house is like a second hand shop where nothing is for sale. 

Some might say a lot of second hand old junk!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Dare I mention Pringle Of Scotland argyle socks?

dean

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
8 hours ago, britishbarry said:

What size are they ???????:g:......seeing you aren't gonna wear em !!!!!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cheers for all the posts, I think it'll be Loakes as they get the most recommendations. Wee trip to Edinburgh next week coming up :)

Next question, what's the best way to keep them in tip-top condition?

Dave

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
17 minutes ago, Dave65 said:

Dave

Like a lot o' things in life - things ain't as simple and straight forward as ya might imagine.

It's all about time and effort.

Stumbled upon this site whilst browsing the web earlier this year   http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/polish-your-shoes-properly

Was amazed at the time and effort he spent on caring for his pride and joy.

My method of a 10 minute whip round with a tin of Kiwi doesn't seem to have harmed my 20+ years old pair of Loakes which I still use to go disco dancing on a regular basis.

Derek

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
56 minutes ago, Dave65 said:

Cheers for all the posts, I think it'll be Loakes as they get the most recommendations. Wee trip to Edinburgh next week coming up :)

Dave

1. Lay out newspaper as you don't want polish flecks getting on the tablecloth! Have two brushes 'On' and 'Off', another brush for cleaning mud and dust off them and a tin of Kiwi (plus a pair of women's tights...).

2. Remove the laces. Always brush your shoes first to clean them of mud and dust. Never use the 'On' or 'Off' brushes to clean as they get grit in them.

3. Apply a good quantity of polish using your 'On' brush. Polish all around the uppers, heels and welts.

4. Using your 'Off' brush, polish the shoe vigorously until a nice shine appears.

5. Repeat steps 1 and 3 leaving time to dry to build up a thick undercoat.

6. Roll tights in a ball and buff uppers all over to give a nice shiny finish.

7. Replace laces and prepare for numerous comments/compliments on your nice shiny shoes.

8. Avoid talcers like the plague...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
42 minutes ago, LiamGP said:

1. Lay out newspaper as you don't want polish flecks getting on the tablecloth! Have two brushes 'On' and 'Off', another brush for cleaning mud and dust off them and a tin of Kiwi (plus a pair of women's tights...).

2. Remove the laces. Always brush your shoes first to clean them of mud and dust. Never use the 'On' or 'Off' brushes to clean as they get grit in them.

3. Apply a good quantity of polish using your 'On' brush. Polish all around the uppers, heels and welts.

4. Using your 'Off' brush, polish the shoe vigorously until a nice shine appears.

7. Replace laces and prepare for numerous comments/compliments on your nice shiny shoes.

That's how I do mine and it's worked fine for over 40 years

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Remove the lid from your shoe polish, using a lighter ignite the surface of the polish, after a couple of seconds use the lid to extinguish the flame, the top layer of the polish will now be liquid or semi-liquid depending how long you leave the flame, ideal for getting into the pores of the leather and filling in those nasty scratches and scuffs, let the polish set hard on the shoe, brush to a basic shine then with the shoe between your thighs use a soft buffing cloth stretched  between both hands, the softer you apply the pressure the more shiny they'll go, spend ages doing this stage, very good for the soul!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 hours ago, LiamGP said:

Will you shine my brogues for me please?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

clean my shoes but hate it  as I do it for a living (cobblers)

lawrence

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

For  brogues online try Gentlemen Prefer Brogues, good selection and good prices.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 10/10/2016 at 17:08, Steve S 60 said:

I have A brand new ( unworn ) pair of loake chesters in black if any one wants them £150 size 101/2 (U.K. 11 ) £230 on loake website ! , collection only ! OLO ( made in Britain ) 

IMG_0967.JPG

Edited by hornet

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Here's my latest pair of Royale Brogues. As you can see leather uppers and soles £50 from a tiny shop in the North wales town of Harlech

Steve

WP_20150921_21_27_36_Pro.jpg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I fancy treating myself 2 A pair of suede  shoes  from loakes 1880 collection but bit concerned about keeping them looking good ! Any 4ts ! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

use punch suede protecter from new then punch suede and fabric cleaner when they get a little dirty

lawrence

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Good Deal On Leather Soled Shoes
    General Sales & Wants by Andy Kempster on Tue 19 Nov 2013
    • 4 / 1033
    • SOULCENTRAL on 21 Nov 2013
  2. Help With Price Plse Leather Boy On Mgm
    Look At Your Box by son of stan on Sat 27 Jul 2013
    • 5 / 506
    • Soul-Slider on 29 Jul 2013
  3. Donnie Elbert- Little Piece Of Leather
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Sat 23 Feb 2008
    • 3 / 410
    • Malc Burton on 24 Feb 2008
  4. Long Leather Coats
    All About the SOUL by Guest sue77 on Fri 22 Jan 2010
    • 47 / 5933
    • on 02 Feb 2010
  5. Brand New Brown Leather Brogues By Churches Famous English Shoes
    General Sales & Wants by Guest mickeyfish58 on Mon 24 Sep 2012
    • 12 / 1338
    • mickeyfish58 on 25 Sep 2012

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.