Artists that sound like other artists

Stateside

Don't know if this has been covered before, but there must be quite a few artists that sound like other artists.

Just been playing this and thought how at the tme of its release, it reminded me of Curtis Mayfield.

I can think of quite a few other records that have that effect

Like Corey Glover  Little Girl sounds like Al Green

Any more?

Edited by stateside
Social source share

Agreed :thumbsup: According to the notes that come with his latest album "Love Tonight" (Society Hill, 2015), he was offered a place in the Blue Notes by Harold Melvin but turned it down because he didn't want to be typecast.

"Hooked on you" is another great vocal performance by Simmons, who also has another previously unreleased album out on the same label, "Smother Me", recorded originally in 1986. He's in fine vocal form on both albums. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sam Cooke seems to have a few sound-a-likes, as well as James Phelps and Ovations that Nick mentions, Bobby Harris seems to have based his style on Sam, even recording a tribute single- We Can't Believe You're Gone. Often wondered if record producers forced singers to sound like someone else or it's just coincidence. 

Bob Brady also does a good Smokey Robinson.

Loads of artists copy The Impressions , enough for Kent to issue a CD - "Impressed"

Rick

Social source share

Steve Mancha, Melvin Davis, Edward Hamilton and Clifford Binns all sound like each other at times.  J.J. Barnes sounded like Marvin Gaye at times.

L.C. Cook(e) sounded like his brother, Sam, much of the time, as Ike Cole did like his brother, Nat.    

Johnny Moore sounded like Rudy Lewis on some songs, and like Clyde McPhatter on others, as did Bobby Hendricks.

Charley Thomas sounded a lot like Ben E. King on some songs.

Earl Grant sounded like Nat Cole.  

Tonnes of Chicago Soul groups with a falsetto lead sounded like Curtis Mayfield (Carltons, Naturals, Classics, Classic Sullivans,  etc.)

Brook BentonArthur prysock and Billy Eckstine sometimes sounded like each other.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

Bob Brady and the Con Chords may has well have been a Smokey Robinson and the Miracles tribute act.... Everybody's Going To a Love In couldn't sound any more similar.....

Social source share

Guest closedms

Scott Walker sounds like Gene McDaniels, also as Tim Hardin said when Bobby Darin recorded "If I Were A Carpenter", I didn't mind him recording my song but did he have to steal my voice.   

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Controversial one this .Lou Ragland like rick astley .  especially on, since you said you'd be mine ???

Pete

When Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up came out I thought the whole record sounded like  The Street People on Vigor, which I'm sure Pete Waterman would have been familiar with. 

Controversial saying Lou Ragland sounds like Rick Astley as it's the other way round:)

Rick

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Rick the point is Lou Ragland always sounded like Lou Ragland long before l ever heard of rick astley and on most of his records he always will sound like Lou Ragland  but.On   that particular record he in my opinion sounds like rick astley  . do appreciate the link with Pete waterman and the street people. great record that my one weakness girl????

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!