Why not Euro imports?

Why is it that people in the main, won't entertain European imports, when many were released at the same time as USA imports so makes them as original as the USA imports by date at least? One that springs to mind is the French 'Googa Mooga' release of Eddie Parker - Love you baby, released in France in 1968, and I'm pretty sure that the USA release won't have been much before that if at all. One on eBay starting at £30 and no bids at all (not mine btw), but if it was an original 'Ashford' release it would have been jumped on. 
It seems that European imports are just 'Not Cool Enough' to collect, why is that?

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Well they are cool enough for me.I have several french label originals released exactly same years as the US ones.Also Aussie issues.In some cases the european ones are very valuable and sought after an example would be the Greek issues of Frankie Beverly and Dee Dee Sharp.Some guys just stick religiously to U.S issues only but my collection is a mixture and i mostly prefere U.K originals to the yanks.As long as they are real deal originals its ok in my book.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There's some of that 'hype' factor, there's also the USA only collecting type of collectors. I understand them much more than they understand me I'm sure. LOL !

But really and I mean really, I always collected some of those euro releases but not all of them. I'm based in Brussels and they use to float around some. I collect a lot (once again not all picture sleeves) with a soft spot for those beautiful soul French EP's, Holland's Artone soul singles, Belgian Brunswick's soul singles and other bits like early French Atco with folding sleeves...

The French Googa Mooga's are all much less rarer than their USA counterparts. Only Eddie Parker 'crying clown' on Triple 'B' who was found years ago in bulk as NOS maybe less rarer now than the Googa Mooga. I've heard stories of NOS bulk of Googa Mooga's on the flea market here in Brussels years ago...

Anyway I'm happy with my Googa Mooga's cause they sound great, the sleeves are good looking and they are affordable. But that Ashford USA label is great looking I must admit. Where the Sonia label for Al Garner is dull to death IMHO.

Social source share

I would've thought it's the same reason most go for US local releases rather than US national releases or UK copies - it's the FIRST release.

It IS remarkable just what DID get released on single/ep in Europe - even though it only contains a small slice of the total, the Daniel Delorme book features some amazing stuff.

Dx

Social source share

Its a strange thing with the Northern Scene.Some records have more street cudos on U.K labels than U.S and some of the foreign releases realy create s lot of interest.At the end of the day as long as its original then the country of origin should not really matter.As for the which came first attitude if thats the case then only Demo copies would be acceptable as they are done before the issued release.

I always remember as a teenager most of my records were either cheap orignals or boots cause thats all i could afford.However i was very proud of my large 45 original U.S Okeh copy of Little Richard--I Dont Want To Discuss It.One day in the youth club i was showing it off to a group of soulies when one of the older lads,a big face and wigan regular just said." YEP ITS NICE YOUNG UN BUT COULDNT YOU FIND IT ON U.K COLUMBIA THEN".At this point he pulled out a beautifull U.k Demo of said record and all my mates were all over it asking to hold it and wrapped up with it big style.

I always remembered that moment and first chance i got i sold the Okeh and bought it on Columbia,and still have it to this day.Same can be said about some of the U.K Action copies with the Eddie Holman in particular always held in higher regard on Action rater than ABC.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Why is it that people in the main, won't entertain European imports, when many were released at the same time as USA imports so makes them as original as the USA imports by date at least? One that springs to mind is the French 'Googa Mooga' release of Eddie Parker - Love you baby, released in France in 1968, and I'm pretty sure that the USA release won't have been much before that if at all. One on eBay starting at £30 and no bids at all (not mine btw), but if it was an original 'Ashford' release it would have been jumped on. 
It seems that European imports are just 'Not Cool Enough' to collect, why is that?

That's not strictly true, there are some very desirable European issues about, Frankie & Johnny on Belgian Decca, PP Arnold on Italian Immediate and French RCA, Frank Beverly on Greek and Italian, I have a whole list of European issues, now they are of course "oldies" they'd have to be, not sure it's 100% European but I'd murder for a Lebanese copy of Earl Jackson.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris L said:

That's not strictly true, there are some very desirable European issues about, Frankie & Johnny on Belgian Decca, PP Arnold on Italian Immediate and French RCA, Frank Beverly on Greek and Italian, I have a whole list of European issues, now they are of course "oldies" they'd have to be, not sure it's 100% European but I'd murder for a Lebanese copy of Earl Jackson.

See I'd much prefer a US copy of Earl Jackson, same for Frank Beverely, Sassy for me..US soul recordings on their original US release first for me, well it was for 45s.  LPs not so bothered.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are some European 45s, for which there were no US nor UK 45s issued (e.g. only LP cut or vinyl unreleased in USA), that should be highly prized on The Northern Scene.  The same should hold true for Australian, New Zealander, African, Asian and Canadian issues in that same situation.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

16 hours ago, chalky said:

See I'd much prefer a US copy of Earl Jackson, same for Frank Beverely, Sassy for me..US soul recordings on their original US release first for me, well it was for 45s.  LPs not so bothered.

Same here ! Some european releases are much more desirable than any others, but for those 2 (Lebanon is not yet in Europe though :wink:), I just disregard them while I veneer their US counterparts. But as said before, when it comes to collecting, one dog should know what bone he wants and the rest is just his own imagination and desire.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!