Culture, Sub-culture....or Not

Soulsmith

Is or was northern soul a culture, sub-culture or not?

I work with a lad that is adamant that hip-hop is a culture.

So that got me thinking. The following I lifted from another board -

“I don't know if music itself can be a culture, but it's certainly a facet of culture. I can't picture some one saying "I'm reggae", but its a part of Caribbean culture. Country music is a facet of american culture.”

Assuming the above para to be correct maybe then northern soul is just a facet of a culture....but which one?

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

A subculture is a group of people with different behavior and beliefs that distinguish them from the larger culture of which they are a part.

The relatively few common beliefs shared by people into any genre of music is hardly enough to make it a culture (or sub-culture) is it? Culture is best left to bacteria and ballet.

Social source share

A subculture is a group of people with different behavior and beliefs that distinguish them from the larger culture of which they are a part.

So NS is a sub culture.

A very profound thread :lol:

If NS is a sub-culture it has to be a sub-culture of something else so what is it a sub-culture of...............errrr or is it just a culture and therefore yoghurt :thumbsup: .................that is worrying, I don't like yoghurt therefore does that mean I don't like NS and have been listening to the wrong music all these years :)

QoFxx

The relatively few common beliefs shared by people into any genre of music is hardly enough to make it a culture (or sub-culture) is it? Culture is best left to bacteria and ballet.

..................and yoghurt :lol: oh and perhaps Boy George :D

QoFxx

Social source share

"I don't know if music itself can be a culture, but it's certainly a facet of culture. I can't picture some one saying "I'm reggae", but its a part of Caribbean culture. Country music is a facet of american culture."

Assuming the above para to be correct maybe then northern soul is just a facet of a culture....but which one?

Col.

=============

Certainly wouldn't describe it as a culture, cos that implies extremes to me, or a way of life. I would say its part of our social scene, but the be all and end all, not for me. If I've misunderstood the gist of your post, apologies :thumbsup:

Social source share

=============

Certainly wouldn't describe it as a culture, cos that implies extremes to me, or a way of life. I would say its part of our social scene, but the be all and end all, not for me. If I've misunderstood the gist of your post, apologies :thumbsup:

NS ... it's a night out ... nothing more :)

Martyn

Social source share

Yoghurt is a culture.

And the Northern Soul scene is full of fruits.

So I'd say its a culture...of sorts

I'm allergic to yoghurt but luckily not to fruits.

Is this irrelevant or is that one of those big fat grey things that live in Africa...errr...an...errr...hippopotumus ?

Social source share

"I don't know if music itself can be a culture, but it's certainly a facet of culture. I can't picture some one saying "I'm reggae", but its a part of Caribbean culture. Country music is a facet of american culture."

Col.

Its a sub culture,and includes all musical tasts and cultures,we not tied into any other culture 100% allthough they keep trying to make it 100% soul,blakc,etc,that what makes it diffrant,and a sub culture,thats n/soul that is,the rare soul scene is another sub culture riding off the bakc of our sub culture,what is n/soul. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Col.

Its a sub culture,and includes all musical tasts and cultures,we not tied into any other culture 100% allthough they keep trying to make it 100% soul,blakc,etc,that what makes it diffrant,and a sub culture,thats n/soul that is,the rare soul scene is another sub culture riding off the bakc of our sub culture,what is n/soul. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

It's a youth cult.

And it's unusual among youth cults in that it's one chiefly populated by 40 odd year old blokes :thumbsup:

Godz

:):D

Social source share

Mods were a sub culture,due to the dress code,music and all round mod things

Northern soul doesnt have all the trappings of a sub culture like the mod movement

So i suppose its just people into a certan type of music that get together

A bit like my other passion

people who get together to follow everton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!