Derby Assembly Rooms All Niter

Peter99

My first all niter this  - it was packed and awesome. I remember the dance floor bouncing to So Is The Sun. Was it 1979 or 1980? I know Chris King was one of the dj's but can't remember who else was. Anyone?

I had hitch hiked from Mablethorpe with one of my mates and Chris King picked us up hitching back in the morning in his white convertible merc - dropped us in Nottingham.

Anyone got any memories?

Peter

Social source share

Very vague Pete. . I know I went because of my mates telling me. I blame the gear  There's a surprise. . Vaguely remember Samantha,s, the same with Bradford etc, etc and countless others. Wouldn't change it for the world though mate. Hope your well :thumbup:

P.S.. don't remember quite a few nights at Wigan either.

Steve

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Very vague Pete. . I know I went because of my mates telling me. I blame the gear  There's a surprise. . Vaguely remember Samantha,s, the same with Bradford etc, etc and countless others. Wouldn't change it for the world though mate. Hope your well :thumbup:

P.S.. don't remember quite a few nights at Wigan either.

Steve

Hi Steve

My very first all niter and first experience of three for two blues - like being hit with a rocket! Felt shit in the morning but the night before was ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. You know the score. Remember records such as J D Martin, Don Ray, Cecil Washington etc.

I'm good mate thanks. Best to you Sir.

Pete

:elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I have some memories of the Assembly Rooms particularly one of the anniversaries around 78/79 (I even posted up a photo from there which had both me and my old mate Lee Vowles in it, years before we had even met) also seem to remember a massive DS raid on the night...............................

Social source share

5 hours ago, Johnny One Trout said:

No idea, those days are rather hazy, wasn't that the venue with a swimming pool beneath the dancefloor? 

No that was Queen Street Baths Still a pool for swimming, no allnighters anymore sadly, Also was at the the assembly rooms Derby in 79' was vodka in my water bottle that did me but I do remember being asked if wanted ought from the smartie bag sadly the assembly rooms has had a fire since & the council want to turn it into a mosque like building?

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

No that was Queen Street Baths Still a pool for swimming, no allnighters anymore sadly, Also was at the the assembly rooms Derby in 79' was vodka in my water bottle that did me but I do remember being asked if wanted ought from the smartie bag sadly the assembly rooms has had a fire since & the council want to turn it into a mosque like building?

Kirsty

yes assembly rooms burnt down, well some of it anyway, as for the mosque thing first ive heard, both assembly rooms and queen street were great not only for nighters ? but also for punk/reggae stuff, clash /dammed live, sex pistols never turned up, now thinking cant remember nighters at queen street baths

Social source share

10 hours ago, codfromderby said:

yep, the description of queen street is ace, just cant remember the nighters, tiffanies yes, assembly rooms yes, matlock all dayers yes, but queen street no cant remember, possibly my old brain

I have the same problem with him indoors (Brain Fade) luckily like most women I can usually remember most of the places I have been & much to his annoyance I can remember word for word what he's said where & when but I suspect most men find that with the Ladies in their lives !

:yes: Kirsty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!